Author Topic: "Is the Price is Right still on?"  (Read 20376 times)

Offline BD

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: "Is the Price is Right still on?"
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2012, 11:10:58 AM »
Other than that..  the colors and patterns are updated (they did this frequently anyway)....

Exactly, which is another reason why I find it funny that some people are so against it now.

In the 80s, the show updated its look a pretty decent amount and used neon colors (neon colors were popular during the time). But that was ok since it happened in the Barker era right?  :roll:

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2012, 12:37:37 PM »
Exactly, which is another reason why I find it funny that some people are so against it now.

In the 80s, the show updated its look a pretty decent amount and used neon colors (neon colors were popular during the time). But that was ok since it happened in the Barker era right?  :roll:

Some people hate the current regime so much that they will not accept or like any changes that come from them.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2012, 04:05:46 PM »
In the 80s, the show updated its look a pretty decent amount

They changed the pentagon patterns on the Turntable wall and got a new Giant Price Tag and Race Game Curtain.  I'm not sure in what universe that qualifies as "a pretty decent amount."
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline ILoveBonusGame

• 2/15/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2012, 04:24:22 PM »
Some people hate the current regime so much that they will not accept or like any changes that come from them.

People disliking changes on the show has been going on for years now and it has nothing to do with whether Barker hosted or not. I think many people were upset over Janice and Kathleen's dismissal, which clearly was the doing of Bob. Also, the Hollywood mural was also strongly disliked around these parts, and that was Syd's idea during Barker's tenure. Many disliked the disposal of the Plinko sign, during the Barker era, which was said to be Bart's idea; however, based on Rich DiPirro's story about the sign mysteriously vanishing after he made it known he wished to bring it back on the show, I personally think that Bart may not have been the real reason it was axed (maybe Syd?). I certainly am not a fan of the current Safecrackers reveal, a change made under Bob. The game, IMO, was much more suspenseful with the doors opening to reveal Safecrackers.

The argument that people who don't like changes now because they were made after Barker left is simply, IMO, a cop out. There are some good changes that have been made during the Carey era and then there have been changes that have been made simply because Mike felt like it. I think that most of the ones that fall in this category - removal of all pre-1994 music, picking "beautiful people" to be contestants instead of being equal to everyone regardless of looks, stationing pages away from being able to direct confused contestants onto the stage, changing to having a "parody" of an announcer, wireless mics on contestants, removal of opening titles - I can't think of anyone else who would have said "these are some good ideas that will improve the American institution of The Price is Right".

I am not anti-Carey, I am anti-nonsense. Nonsense has been happening on Price for much longer than when Drew Carey joined the show.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2012, 04:28:55 PM »
Long-Winded Post

Alright, I see your point, but again, I said "Some" people, not everyone. You just aren't part of that group. :)
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2012, 04:38:31 PM »
...picking "beautiful people" to be contestants instead of being equal to everyone regardless of looks...

Pointing to this as a "change" is absurd.  Phil Wayne picked more than his share of jiggly college-age women during his tenure.  And there are still plenty of people who are not models who are called as contestants.  Two of the highlights videos that the show posted online last season (and are therefore presumably proud to share) were of Drew pretending to make out with a contestant in her 50s, and a balding contestant who appeared to be in his 60s losing his false tooth on stage.  I don't think they're embarrassed of the fact that they have some older contestants.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2012, 09:09:24 PM »
picking "beautiful people" to be contestants instead of being equal to everyone regardless of looks,
Incorrect; OCA is taking "pretty people" and giving them the front rows of the center section of the audience.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2012, 09:16:38 PM »
Incorrect; OCA is taking "pretty people" and giving them the front rows of the center section of the audience.

Incorrect; that theory has been dis-proven enough times to discredit it's basis.

Offline BD

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2012, 12:50:53 AM »
They changed the pentagon patterns on the Turntable wall and got a new Giant Price Tag and Race Game Curtain.  I'm not sure in what universe that qualifies as "a pretty decent amount."

Didn't they change the big doors?

Also, I'm not sure in what universe the majority of the complaints made about the show now would be "MAJOR PROBLEMS!" but that's how a good # of many here act so I find that little snarky remark you made to be a bit funny.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2012, 12:55:01 AM »
Didn't they change the big doors?

Outside of the bottom of Door #2 being repainted and the colored strips on the frames becoming gold -- neither of which happened during the '80s -- no changes were made to the doors at all between 1975 and 1996.

Also, I'm not sure in what universe the majority of the complaints made about the show now would be "MAJOR PROBLEMS!" but that's how a good # of many here act so I find that little snarky remark you made to be a bit funny.

Can't say I really see what one has to do with the other, but hey, whatever it takes to make you feel like you've got a valid point.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 12:57:41 AM by SteveGavazzi »
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline ShowcaseShowdown

• Outside in Line
« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2012, 11:25:25 AM »
The host might not be the best choice, but it's still 9 contestants, 6 games, 2 showcase showdowns and a showcase. What exactly has changed with that?

Get over the cosmetic changes, it's not 1975 anymore

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2012, 04:08:49 PM »
The host might not be the best choice, but it's still 9 contestants, 6 games, 2 showcase showdowns and a showcase. What exactly has changed with that?

I enjoy the show as it is today, but this has got to be the oldest argument in the book. It almost makes me cringe every time I read it.
Signatures are overrated.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2012, 05:26:56 PM »
Which doesn't make it less applicable, though.  :D

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2012, 11:00:20 PM »

Get over the cosmetic changes, it's not 1975 anymore
This argument has been rehashed time and again, and the counterargument is always the same -- one can keep the same format, but screw the show through every other conceivable manner.

Regarding the games, how many show up time and again specifically to result in losses? How many get played less than ten times a season? How many are even set up well? Why does Pay the Rent exist?

Regarding the Showcases, how many are something other than "Here are some prizes to fit a theme; no skits, no variety, and sometimes just 1-2 prizes."? And how many trips have had generic references to hotels or amenities that cannot reasonably be priced due to being so vague?

And aside from that, how many shows with celebrity appearances were chopped down considerably? How many with "house bands"? How many times did Drew concentrate on the gimmicks rather than the games and Showcases? Or say the Showcases are for "the biggest and best prizes" when that was never meant to be their purpose?

How many days does the staff work now as opposed to Season 36 and prior? How many people have been fired by Mike Richards? And what is the ratio of pre-1994 to post-2008 music?

[I apologize for being so vitriolic to a new member, but this argument truly has been rehashed so many times when there is clearly a difference in how the show is done.]
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 11:09:50 PM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline BD

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2012, 05:49:04 AM »

Can't say I really see what one has to do with the other, but hey, whatever it takes to make you feel like you've got a valid point.

I just found it funny and a bit ironic how you said "I don't know in what universe that qualifies as a decent amount", when the majority of complaints viewed as major on these forums wouldn't be viewed as being major pretty much anywhere else.