Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 5/22/2012  (Read 22815 times)

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: TPiR Recap - 5/22/2012
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2012, 10:44:27 PM »
This is the contestant of today. I do agree that it was a waste and the 2nd digit would've been the better choice, but I realize that contestants are very unsure of themselves when they're on stage.

A LOT of things on the show (especially cars) are overpriced. Chrysler 200, Mustang, Camaro, Jeeps. It doesn't matter what the size of the car is, people are just going to overprice it. It's unfortunate, but that's the way it is now.

That being said, we've had a really odd rash of 1st digit free picks this season. I don't know what has caused the sudden shift in uncertainty, but it certainly has been weird.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2012, 11:07:40 PM »
I have watched TPIR nearly every day there is a new show for the past several years, yet that does not mean I know the price of all or most items shown there.  Also, what exactly defines small car?  How does it look cheap?  How we do know it's got a small engine?
Until you mentioned, I had no idea whether manual transmission makes a car cheaper than one with automatic transmission, or more expensive, or whether it is indifferent.
I'm not saying it was a good move to pick the first number; I'm just saying it is a good move to pick the second number.
I'm not even sure if I should continue this discussion.

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2012, 11:35:46 PM »
$24,000 for a Sonic? Maybe if inflation rose overnight.
No! NO! NO! to the comment about the price of a sport utility vehicle being less expensive than a Chevrolet Sonic. A SUV can NEVER be less expensive than a Chevrolet Sonic! That would be a huge joke!

A fully loaded Sonic runs you about $22k.

The Hyundai Tucson, Kia Sportage, Subaru Forester, Jeep Compass, Mitsubishi Outlander Sport, Ford Escape, Jeep Patriot (obviously), and Dodge Journey, which are all SUVs, start less than $22k.
Signatures are overrated.

Offline stardf29

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2012, 12:10:33 AM »
I take back my comment on "did he really think a Chevy Sonic was a $20K car?". I thought the Sonic was among the other sub-compacts like the Ford Fiesta that the average contestant today (not necessarily trap-aware LFaTs, mind you) can recognize as cheap, but I guess not.

(And I greatly fear the day when a contestant does ask for the second digit, which turns out to be something 6-9... and they put a 2 for the first digit.)

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2012, 03:03:19 AM »
The hell they do! I'm sorry, Steve, but when they see car ads in the newspaper, are bombarded with TV commercials every day ... when they shop once in awhile for this POS car – HELL YES THEY SHOULD!!!!

I throw away the car ads, I don't pay attention to commercials, and I drive a 10-year-old car.

And holy good Lord, you really are beginning to sound out of it.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2012, 09:15:14 AM »
This is the contestant of today. I do agree that it was a waste and the 2nd digit would've been the better choice, but I realize that contestants are very unsure of themselves when they're on stage.

A LOT of things on the show (especially cars) are overpriced. Chrysler 200, Mustang, Camaro, Jeeps. It doesn't matter what the size of the car is, people are just going to overprice it. It's unfortunate, but that's the way it is now.

That being said, we've had a really odd rash of 1st digit free picks this season. I don't know what has caused the sudden shift in uncertainty, but it certainly has been weird.

I'll agree that "this is the contestant of today," and Alejandro is Exhibit A (or B, C ... what have you). I also understand that – just like in the 1970s – contestants are often nervous and unsure of themselves onstage. I've heard Pat Sajak say many times on "Wheel of Fortune" – especially after a seemingly easy bonus round puzzle goes unsolved (especially when the win should have been an afterthought) – that it is much easier to play the game at home than it is in front of a studio audience with the cameras rolling.

I'll also agree that many cars on the show are overpriced. Remember, these are without the discounts you see on TV or in the newspaper. (Even so, I stand by my earlier comment that the car ads should give the contestant at least an idea of what cars are more or less than $20,000, for instance.)

Why are we seeing so many first digit picks, though? Because the contestant plum does NOT know how to play the game. That's argument No. 1. Argument No. 2 was – even if he doesn't know the exact price of the car, any reasonable person should know that a subcompact car (one that probably has little more than standard equipment and maybe the cheapest option package) is not $20,000-plus.

A fully loaded Sonic runs you about $22k.

The Hyundai Tucson, Kia Sportage, Subaru Forester, Jeep Compass, Mitsubishi Outlander Sport, Ford Escape, Jeep Patriot (obviously), and Dodge Journey, which are all SUVs, start less than $22k.

But again, the Chevrolet Sonic on offer here was not fully loaded. The SUVs you mention are base models whose first numbers – once you add in options – are more than likely "2."

Again, with me playing the game, if it were a compact SUV, I'd go 2-3-4 or 3-4-5 (assuming I answer all three GP questions correctly), and leave it to logic to fill out the rest of the price. On a good playing, you'd deduce that the first number in this case is "2." (or possibly a "1" if the 3-4-5 numbers are filled in and the other number choices include an "8" or "9").

BTW – as of today, Ford's website listed the base model Escape at $22,470. The crossover Dodge Journey is $18,995, but quickly goes over $20K with options. I'll stop there since I think you get the idea.

I have watched TPIR nearly every day there is a new show for the past several years, yet that does not mean I know the price of all or most items shown there.  Also, what exactly defines small car?  How does it look cheap?  How we do know it's got a small engine?
Until you mentioned, I had no idea whether manual transmission makes a car cheaper than one with automatic transmission, or more expensive, or whether it is indifferent.
I'm not saying it was a good move to pick the first number; I'm just saying it is a good move to pick the second number.
I'm not even sure if I should continue this discussion.

I've never said I know the exact prices of most of the items on the show. (Honestly, I probably know the right prices on less than half.) But at least I have an idea that, for instance, a spa might cost anywhere from $5,000 to $10,000 (depending on the size), or that a kitchen – the ones they offer these days, and not the average suburban one – is probably in the $6,000 range. Most trips are probably at least $7,000 with everything that is thrown in ... and I'll stop there because I think I've made my point.

As for the car argument: 1. I stand behind my "Anyone who can't tell that a Chevrolet Sonic is a subcompact car either has glaucoma or something else" statement from earlier. 2. They ought to go back to the days of Johnny Olson, who quite frequently DID tell us whether the car had a stick shift or automatic transmission, for instance. While he didn't mention the engine unless an optional one was installed, it may be a good idea to give the size and/or horsepower of the engine. It would help.

I take back my comment on "did he really think a Chevy Sonic was a $20K car?". I thought the Sonic was among the other sub-compacts like the Ford Fiesta that the average contestant today (not necessarily trap-aware LFaTs, mind you) can recognize as cheap, but I guess not.

(And I greatly fear the day when a contestant does ask for the second digit, which turns out to be something 6-9... and they put a 2 for the first digit.)

For now, only mid- and full-sized cars that have 6-9 as the second digit will have "2" as the first number. (For instance, a Ford Taurus or Chevrolet Impala, or maybe one of those loaded compact SUVs.) Unless something drastic happens overseas that causes the dollar to become worthless ... I don't think we're going to see a $27,000 Chevrolet Sonic anytime soon.

And yes, the Ford Fiesta is a subcompact, too, that can be recognized as inexpensive. (Not necessarily cheap. Inexpensive. There is a difference.)

And remember, GM has a new microcompact Chevrolet coming out thus summer – the 2013 Spark, whose base price is, per Chevrolet's website, currently in the $12,000-$14,000 range for a base model, and about $15,000-$16,000 for the more deluxe version. Meaning even with a fully loaded top-of-the-line model, the Spark will likely cost less than $19,000, and the average base model will retail in the $15,000 range. Look for those cars to be offered soon on TPiR. (For now, the Ford Fiesta is the smallest car in North America.)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 09:21:52 AM by Briguy »

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2012, 09:24:24 AM »
The hell they do! I'm sorry, Steve, but when they see car ads in the newspaper, are bombarded with TV commercials every day ... when they shop once in awhile for this POS car – HELL YES THEY SHOULD!!!!

Now you're just being silly. Every single TV ad and newspaper ad says $299/month or $399/month, never "$17,254 for a Chevrolet Sonic"

Also, when was the last time you saw a TV ad for a Sonic? I myself have never seen one.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2012, 09:27:17 AM »

I guess one last thing about the first digit argument – why not modify Stack the Deck's rules to give the contestant the first number for free, and reduce the field of available numbers to five for the remaining four slots. Even by guessing all three GP questions correctly, you'd still have to fill in one slot (with a choice of two numbers, thus making it a 50-50 proposition and therefore not making a perfect 3-for-3 on the question aspect a guaranteed win).

As far as the difficulty, the first GP should be easy, the second one of average difficulty and the third flexible (depending on whether someone like Roger would want the game won today).

Brian

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2012, 09:41:32 AM »
But again, the Chevrolet Sonic on offer here was not fully loaded. The SUVs you mention are base models whose first numbers – once you add in options – are more than likely "2."

Again, with me playing the game, if it were a compact SUV, I'd go 2-3-4 or 3-4-5 (assuming I answer all three GP questions correctly), and leave it to logic to fill out the rest of the price. On a good playing, you'd deduce that the first number in this case is "2." (or possibly a "1" if the 3-4-5 numbers are filled in and the other number choices include an "8" or "9").

BTW – as of today, Ford's website listed the base model Escape at $22,470. The crossover Dodge Journey is $18,995, but quickly goes over $20K with options. I'll stop there since I think you get the idea.

Except that's not what you said. You said "A[n] SUV can NEVER be less expensive than a Chevy Sonic." I was merely pointing out that an SUV can, in fact, be less expensive than a Chevy Sonic.
Signatures are overrated.

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2012, 11:34:28 AM »
I've never said I know the exact prices of most of the items on the show. (Honestly, I probably know the right prices on less than half.) But at least I have an idea
In that case, perhaps someone is thinking "maybe that car is between $17,000 and $22,000" or maybe someone is not including that car is their "list of prizes to know the price of".  Just like, you said you know the right price on less than half even though you have an idea on several.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2012, 12:25:54 PM »
I guess one last thing about the first digit argument – why not modify Stack the Deck's rules to give the contestant the first number for free, and reduce the field of available numbers to five for the remaining four slots.
Because then it would not be Stack The Deck.

I've heard Pat Sajak say many times on "Wheel of Fortune" – especially after a seemingly easy bonus round puzzle goes unsolved (especially when the win should have been an afterthought) – that it is much easier to play the game at home than it is in front of a studio audience with the cameras rolling.
While that is true, Wheel seems to have outgoing/photogenic contestants far more often than those who can actually play the game. There is a difference, I assure you.

(Another fun thing: Wheel apparently has a rule against players actually looking at the Wheel to try and use skill, and if the producers determine you are doing this, you may be disqualified. Again, apparently.)
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2012, 12:31:29 PM »
Wheel apparently has a rule against players actually looking at the Wheel to try and use skill, and if the producers determine you are doing this, you may be disqualified. Again, apparently.)

You're encouraged to look down long enough to spin and then turn your attention back to the puzzle, which is why Sajak tells the player what they landed on. You're not supposed to aim for a particular space; AFAIK, if they think you are, they void that spin and make you spin again, but there's no further penalty. You get one or two spins in rehearsal and that's it before the game starts; there's really no time to develop any kind of "skill shot" with it.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2012, 01:06:29 PM »
Because then it would not be Stack The Deck.
While that is true, Wheel seems to have outgoing/photogenic contestants far more often than those who can actually play the game. There is a difference, I assure you.

Which is a major, major problem – at least as I see it – on "The Price is Right." Outgoing and photogenic contestants who act stupid on stage, rather than those who know their stuff. Aye!

(Another fun thing: Wheel apparently has a rule against players actually looking at the Wheel to try and use skill, and if the producers determine you are doing this, you may be disqualified. Again, apparently.)

I'll save this discussion for another time, but I'd bet this is in response to Terri racking up $62,000 in a single round back in the 1980s (by landing on $5,000 multiple times), and why the Free Spin space was retired.

Brian

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2012, 01:21:24 PM »
I'll save this discussion for another time, but I'd bet this is in response to Terri racking up $62,000 in a single round back in the 1980s (by landing on $5,000 multiple times), and why the Free Spin space was retired.

I've never seen the spinning portion of Terri's turn, only the mis-solve bad letter (so she didn't cash in on the $62K), but some people's arm strength is exactly what's needed for a random spin to go around 1.0 times. That might have been the case with her. She could have gotten lucky as opposed to spinning skillfully. IIRC, The Free Spin space was replaced with the one-per-game token because they felt that people racking up multiple FS's gave them too much of an advantage and made the game less exciting.

I think the current record for amount won in a single round is somewhere in the neighborhood of $55K, but that includes multiple letters called on a $6K Final Spin.

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2012, 07:11:18 PM »

Is it any wonder why I drink at night?
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16