Author Topic: Game show sound effects  (Read 12331 times)

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Game show sound effects
« on: May 23, 2012, 04:31:09 AM »
What are your favorite game show sound effects?

Mine are:
the alarms played on Scrabble & $ale of the century, and on Scrabble, it's used when the reigning champion wins the bonus round, and it's used on $ale when the reigning champion wins the entire main game, and wins all the bonus prizes.

I also love the dings used on Scrabble when a player wins the word, and I also love it when they do it when a player solves a word that has a bonus square and immediately solves the word.

I love TPiR's dings for a win, the Double Showcase win alarm (played on some cash games), the "erroo" sound from Pathfinder (when was this last played), and the "losing horns".

I loved all of Jeopardy's sound effects, and I miss the old "board loading" sound effect on that show.

I think Wheel of Fortune should have some kind of alarm sound that goes off when someone wins the $50,000, the $100,000 or the $1M bonus prize.

I also like all of the classic Nickelodeon game show sound effects.

Offline kassilynn

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Game show sound effects
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 11:59:29 AM »
"TPiR" Sound Effects:
Double Showcase Winner Siren
Bell and "ERRROOOO" in Pathfinder
Safe Crackers' (open and close) creaking sound effect
One Away Car Horn
Range Game Music (also used in Check Game)
"TPiR" Train Whistle w/ it's steam hissing and engine chugging
Punch-A-Bunch Harp Sound
Loser Horn (Barker one)
"TPiR" Tugboat Horn

"Wheel of Fortune" Sound Effects:
Bell (when contestants guess correct letter)
Bankrupt Whistle (both current and old)
Puzzle Chimes (1975-1989 and the Australian one)
Puzzle Solved Cues (1975-1983, 1983-1989, 1989-1994, 1994-1997)
Jackpot Fireworks
Old Buzzer, Bonus Round Timer, and Only Vowels Left Sound effect
"Say whatever you want to about me, my artwork, etc, I don't really care.
If you don't want me or even like me, then I'm DAMN sure am not gonna let myself want OR
like YOU !"

^ That's my message to all you haters and people who are negative when it comes to me.

Offline crinos43

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 06:09:15 PM »
In no particular order and not organized by show unless by accident:

- the board sound on Press Your Luck
- the "Stop at a whammy" sound
- Penny Ante's light up sound
- the "wrong number" sound on Pathfinder
- Scrabble's Stopper sound
I support The Price is Right.

Offline Chief-O

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 09:17:26 PM »
I wouldn't be able to come up with all of my favorites. Many of the TPIR, SOTC, and Scrabble sounds are among them.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 11:31:06 AM »
One of my favorites is the Speed-Up music used on Wheel of Fortune prior to November 6, 2000.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 08:19:39 PM »
OK, here's a few more that I like

I like the multiple dings used for a win on Perry's Card Sharks, along with the game 1 win music, and the main game win music (which is an extended cut of the game 1 win theme), and I also like the losing horns used with the buzzer during the bonus round when the contestant goes "BUST". Speaking of that, I also like the buzzer/horn combo used on Classic Concentration when a player loses the bonus round by running out of time.

I even enjoy the beeps & the ding used on Bullseye when a contestant (or a celebrity) banks whatever is in the bank. I've heard that there's a rare buzzer that sounds like a "warble" or an Atari-ish effect.

Offline htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 09:50:42 PM »
I like the sound effects for the Bankrupt and the Final Spin on Wheel of Fortune. They both just sound so nice.

I also LOVE the loser's horn on The Price is Right. I have that sound effect saved on my cell phone, and I like listening to it all the time, even though, of course, it's not the best meaning (that you lose).
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 04:23:53 AM »
I like the sound effects for the Bankrupt and the Final Spin on Wheel of Fortune. They both just sound so nice.

I also LOVE the loser's horn on The Price is Right. I have that sound effect saved on my cell phone, and I like listening to it all the time, even though, of course, it's not the best meaning (that you lose).

The loser's horn is funny! Ba Bum Bum Bum...... Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (followed by the buzzer that goes off on the big wheel when someone goes over a dollar)

I do like the shows where timing is key during the game. For example, on J! Alex sometimes tells the players that there's only a minute left in the round, and then about a minute or two later: "doot doot doot doot doot doot.... doot doot doot doot doot doot!"

Then there's the WOF Final Spin alert: "Ding Ding.... Ding Ding"

I think they used a class bell on Scrabble when time had almost ran out, and they had to go to the speed-word format

Now here's something that could be a sub-topic of this thread: How about game shows that use sound effects from other game shows? I know Scrabble used at one point the "beep-beep" sound, used on the CBS Double Dare with Alex Trebek when one of the spoilers either gave an invalid answer, or had no answer to give and was used on Scrabble when the contestant in control couldn't guess the word in time, before selecting tiles. Scrabble later used the "dit dit dit" sound for the same situation which was used on To Say the least. The Category reveal sound effect was used on Break the Bank when the topic was shown. The "Rat-A-Tat" buzzer was used on the new joker's wild with Pat Finn when time ran out to answer a question, and was used on Break the bank when time ran out during the bonus round.

Offline FieldsFan336

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Pika!
    • Behind the Microphone: The Rich Fields Fan Site
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 06:40:31 PM »
The TPIR loser horns of course, the 98-04 Hollywood Squares "time's up" cue and the Whammy card "BOING!" from PYL
Rich Fields' #1 Fan for Life / 2011 CSS playoffs bronze medalist / Blitz Club (sole survivor of the Survivor special) / First QSW 5/9/23

Offline TPIR_rules

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 08:13:13 PM »
In Supermarket Sweep, I like the contestants buzz-in sound & I like the right & wrong answer sound effects (except for the first season, which I think the sound effects were different).

I like the contestants buzz-in (or ring-in, whichever way you put it) sound on Top Card.

I also like the letter popping up sound on Geoff Edwards version of Chain Reaction.                               

Offline TPIR_rules

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 08:49:42 PM »
In Supermarket Sweep, I like the contestants buzz-in sound & I like the right & wrong answer sound effects (except for the first season, which I think the sound effects were different). The right answer sound effect is also used when they ring up the total of the grocery items the contestants purchased during the "Supermarket Run" (I forgot what it's called). I like a few other sound effects on that show. IMO, Supermarket Sweep has the best sound effects than all the other game shows, even better than TPIR (Sorry if you didn't like that!).   

I like the contestants buzz-in (or ring-in, whichever way you put it) sound on Top Card.

I also like the letter popping up sound on Geoff Edwards version of Chain Reaction.                             
Fixed.

Offline TPIRSteven

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 12:06:01 AM »
Some of my personal favorites are:

The "pass spin" sound on PYL.
The Jeopardy! Daily Double cue.
The "beep-beep-beep" on Jeopardy!
The Cuckoo on Dick Clark's Pyramid
Just about everything from Scrabble

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2012, 01:19:31 AM »
One of my favorites is the Speed-Up music used on Wheel of Fortune prior to November 6, 2000.

Well played. And I agree. :D
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2012, 02:45:05 AM »
I wonder how we could describe the sound effect used on Scrabble when a letter is being checked to see if it's in the word or not.

Offline Rusty

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2012, 10:24:01 AM »
I wonder how we could describe the sound effect used on Scrabble when a letter is being checked to see if it's in the word or not.
Someone humming "Flight of the Bumblebee" while gargling.