Author Topic: Season 41 Taping Report  (Read 41738 times)

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
Re: Season 41 Taping Report
« Reply #105 on: August 01, 2012, 10:40:08 AM »
It just sounds rather arrogant when talking about a show whose formula has worked well for three decades before the 21st century. I'll leave the demographics part of it up to those who understand that better.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #106 on: August 01, 2012, 10:41:11 AM »
The 3D logos on the doors I am liking. I am worried about them lighting up.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline BD

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #107 on: August 01, 2012, 11:09:46 AM »
It just sounds rather arrogant when talking about a show whose formula has worked well for three decades before the 21st century.

It's obvious they have been adding things here and there to bring the show up to modern times (while still maintain a retro game show look). Don't see why that's such a bad thing.

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #108 on: August 01, 2012, 11:28:32 AM »
It's not that the changes are a bad thing, it's the tone of the comment that rubbed me the wrong way. It's like someone who'd never watched the show before comes in out of the blue and decides they know what's best for it. I'm not saying the writer hasn't seen the show, it's just what the remark comes off sounding like. Just my opinion.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline TheTechSGT

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #109 on: August 01, 2012, 01:05:07 PM »
:lol:

Maybe it's just me but I'm sick of seeing your posts start with this, it's like you're laughing at the rest of us.  Knock it the heck off.

"I'm going to base a show's set on strange angles that don't air on TV and if it doesn't look as good as previous sets did on TV, it's a BIG fail from Mike! Everything that I don't like about the show is a big fail from Mike!"

Does the phrase "change for the sake of change" mean anything to you?  Oh and, side-on angles of the doors have been shown on TV for decades.  The intro shots for pretty much any game where Drew and the player stand between Doors 1 and 2 are all at an angle, same for the start of Safe Crackers, same for the prize podium in Half Off...need I go on?  The logo being smaller on the doors looks weird, with the old flowaround doors it made a little more sense since there was something filling space around the edges, but now with just the squares it looks weird.  In principle the inset lighting looks okay, but having the inner two doors pushed so much farther back than any of the others does look strange.

Lets just wait to see how this will look on TV. I don't think it looks bad at all but it will more than likely look even better from normal angles.

I don't need to wait to see what it will look like.  Unless they completely reblock shots for some games, it's going to look bizarre.  The small logos look strange.  Stop arguing, all it's going is making you look foolish.

Offline 3DSETDESIGNER

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #110 on: August 01, 2012, 01:23:19 PM »
I like what they done with the doors,pretty neat to make the logo look 3D on the doors

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #111 on: August 01, 2012, 01:33:36 PM »
I don't need to wait to see what it will look like.  Unless they completely reblock shots for some games, it's going to look bizarre.  The small logos look strange.  Stop arguing, all it's going is making you look foolish.
Come on, you'll get used to a minor cosmetic change like all the other ones.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline PriceFan07

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #112 on: August 01, 2012, 01:57:48 PM »
What I'm worried about is how the doors are going to look on-camera with the center-two panels having much more depth than the others. As you can tell from side-shot, they had to push the middle panels of the big doors back a bit so that they can open with the 3D logo. They do look very strange with such small logos - in 5 years we've gone from the logo (season 35) taking up nearly the entire door to taking up barely 1/4. I just hope it comes off better at home on TV. The fact that the logos light up just seems like a pointless change to me. I'm certainly not going to stop watching the show because of it, but it may still bug me.
Get Ready to Price the Prize!
George Gray! Rachel Reynolds! Amber Lancaster! Manuela Arbelaez! Alexis Gaube! And James O'Halloran!
As we play the fabulous, sixty-minute Price is Right!
And here's the star of The Price is Right - Drew Carey!

Offline TheTechSGT

« Reply #113 on: August 01, 2012, 02:03:08 PM »
Come on, you'll get used to a minor cosmetic change like all the other ones.

Get used to it, yes.  Cease to call it strange, nope.  (I still think that about Door #5.)

Offline Kyle

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #114 on: August 01, 2012, 02:14:09 PM »
From a directing standpoint, maybe they wanted to start the close-ups of the doors opening at a closer angle than before, but, still wanted the whole logo to take up the shot, hence why the logo is smaller now?

Offline TheTechSGT

« Reply #115 on: August 01, 2012, 02:49:07 PM »
From a directing standpoint, maybe they wanted to start the close-ups of the doors opening at a closer angle than before, but, still wanted the whole logo to take up the shot, hence why the logo is smaller now?

I doubt they'd go to the expense of altering the doors for the simple convenience of the director.  The smaller logo (correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it smaller even than the old ones used up until 1997?) is harder to see from the audience and harder to see on TV.  The only reason I can see for making it smaller is the fact of it being a three-dimensional prop now, which would be harder to split across four door panels than two.

Offline BD

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #116 on: August 01, 2012, 03:29:14 PM »
Maybe it's just me but I'm sick of seeing your posts start with this, it's like you're laughing at the rest of us.  Knock it the heck off.

I use it because I am laughing.

Does the phrase "change for the sake of change" mean anything to you?  Oh and, side-on angles of the doors have been shown on TV for decades.  The intro shots for pretty much any game where Drew and the player stand between Doors 1 and 2 are all at an angle, same for the start of Safe Crackers, same for the prize podium in Half Off...need I go on? 

Is it a change for the sake of change? Yeah... doesn't mean it's bad though.

The majority of changes in set designs for game shows have been "changes for the sake of change" but heaven forbid a set designer wanting to do something to make a show look more presentable on TV (haha).

Also, the angle is no where near as close as it is in the pictures that were posted.

The logo being smaller on the doors looks weird, with the old flowaround doors it made a little more sense since there was something filling space around the edges, but now with just the squares it looks weird.  In principle the inset lighting looks okay, but having the inner two doors pushed so much farther back than any of the others does look strange.

Again, I think it's better to wait to see how it will look on TV. The first pictures of the homebase looked strange but it looked a whole lot better on TV (since you couldn't see the gap that it had).

Yes I'm foolish because I don't judge a set on pictures from strange angles that have men still working on it.

How foolish of me.  :lol:

I doubt they'd go to the expense of altering the doors for the simple convenience of the director.  The smaller logo (correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it smaller even than the old ones used up until 1997?) is harder to see from the audience and harder to see on TV. 

Can't really say that yet. It may not be that hard to see for the audience and on TV depending on how it's lit up.

The only reason I can see for making it smaller is the fact of it being a three-dimensional prop now, which would be harder to split across four door panels than two.

Possibly.

Offline tpirman1982

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • My TPIR Fanpage
« Reply #117 on: August 01, 2012, 05:39:44 PM »

Now this pic is cool! Looks like the logos on the doors light up... and shows how the dollar signs are attached... neat!

Looks very nice.

Offline 444dd

• Double Showcase Winner
  • HYO #7 will be in a few months
    • My Youtube
« Reply #118 on: August 01, 2012, 05:41:35 PM »
Looks very nice.
Does that mean we will see new art work from you. lol
That wasn't a showcase, that was an infomercial.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #119 on: August 01, 2012, 06:31:21 PM »
It just sounds rather arrogant when talking about a show whose formula has worked well for three decades before the 21st century.

Dude, it's Alex Davis.  What do you expect?
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.