Author Topic: CBS Double Dare thread  (Read 14005 times)

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
Re: CBS Double Dare thread
« Reply #120 on: September 14, 2012, 08:47:55 AM »
The Pledge of Allegiance?
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #121 on: September 14, 2012, 07:21:32 PM »
Good guess, but no.  Next clue for everyone else.

TITLE

$10,000:  Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer referred to it in his dissenting opinion on Eldred v. Ashcroft.
$9,000:  A kindergarten teacher in Kentucky co-wrote it in 1893.
$8,000:  Its original title was "Good Morning to All".
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline OneBidTris

• 4/2/2024
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
  • Hosting FPG for Season 50
« Reply #122 on: September 14, 2012, 07:37:21 PM »
Happy Birthday?

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
« Reply #123 on: September 15, 2012, 09:31:28 AM »

That would be the one, Tris.  Here were all of the clues:

$10,000:  Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer referred to it in his dissenting opinion on Eldred v. Ashcroft.
$9,000:  A kindergarten teacher in Kentucky co-wrote it in 1893.
$8,000:  Its original title was "Good Morning to All".
$7,000:  Its familiar lyrics were first published in a book of worship songs in 1918.
$6,000:  Disney paid $5,000 to use it at EPCOT.
$5,000:  Copyrighted in 1935, you have to pay up to $10,000 to legally sing it--even in a restaurant.
$4,000:  Marilyn Monroe famously sang it to JFK.
$3,000:  The most recognized English-language song in the world.
$2,000:  Sometimes, the first song a child learns.
$1,000:  The song you traditionally hear on the day you're a year older.

Another THING is coming up.  First clue:

*DD clue reveal*

$10,000:  One was responsible for crippling Iran's nuclear program in 2010.
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

Offline Shaymin

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • May we have some decorum here, please?
    • Nintendo Free Radio
« Reply #124 on: September 15, 2012, 03:38:44 PM »
A computer worm (Stuxnet)

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
« Reply #125 on: September 15, 2012, 08:16:32 PM »
A good guess, but that's not what I'm looking for.  Next clue:

THING

$9,000:  Some Swiss Army knives now include one.

Offline jwatson2973

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #126 on: September 15, 2012, 08:44:41 PM »
Screwdriver?

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #127 on: September 16, 2012, 12:57:37 AM »
A flash drive.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
« Reply #128 on: September 17, 2012, 06:15:41 PM »

Army's got it.  Shaymin had the right idea, but I was looking for the device that delivered that computer worm.  Here were the clues:

$9,000:  Some Swiss Army knives now include one.
$8,000:  Its name is a misnomer because it has no moving mechanical parts.
$7,000:  A crystal oscillator is necessary for one to function.
$6,000:  Specific types include XQD, SDXC, and CF.
$5,000:  German band WIZO were the first musicians to sell an album on one.
$4,000:  They're now compatible with Xbox 360 systems, DVD players, and smartphones.
$3,000:  M-Systems is credited with their invention in 1999, but it is still disputed to this day.
$2,000:  The first ones had a storage capacity of 8 MB; now, even ones of 1 GB are obsolete.
$1,000:  The first of these portable storage devices were sold under the brand name "ThumbDrive", a name that is now used generically.

This will be the final week of Double Dare puzzles since the new season of TPIR is just a few days away.  We'll see how many more puzzles we can go through.  A PERSON is next up.  First clue:

*DD clue reveal*

$10,000:  It's a pretty good bet that he will never be seen holding a bag of Famous Amos in public.

Offline jwatson2973

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #129 on: September 17, 2012, 06:26:07 PM »
Barack Obama?

Offline bigwheel1991

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #130 on: September 17, 2012, 08:37:41 PM »
Wally Amos?
CSS Stats - Games Played: 3 - Points:???.?? - DSW: 1 - WSD: 0 - DOB: 0 - Lowest Score: $?????

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
« Reply #131 on: September 18, 2012, 08:39:38 AM »
PERSON

$10,000:  It's a pretty good bet that he will never be seen holding a bag of Famous Amos in public.
$9,000:  His older brother works at an energy investment firm, as he became physically unable to follow in the family tradition.

Offline Shaymin

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • May we have some decorum here, please?
    • Nintendo Free Radio
« Reply #132 on: September 18, 2012, 06:14:06 PM »
Stephen Hawking?

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
« Reply #133 on: September 18, 2012, 08:20:18 PM »
I think Shaymin may have misunderstood the second clue.  The "he became physically unable" referred to the subject's older brother, not the subject.  I've inserted the clarification of that clue for everybody.

PERSON

$9,000:  His older brother works at an energy investment firm, as he (the older brother) became physically unable to follow in the family tradition.
$8,000:  St. Vincent Children's Hospital was renamed in 2007 in his honor.

Offline jwatson2973

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #134 on: September 18, 2012, 08:34:01 PM »
James W. Reilly