Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 12/18/2012  (Read 8309 times)

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
TPiR Recap - 12/18/2012
« on: December 18, 2012, 01:06:57 PM »
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
Re: TPiR Recap - 12/18/2012
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 01:14:02 PM »
A reasonably good day. Nice cash win on Punchy.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 01:21:47 PM »
Wait a minute........Back this up. We had a good show today and a car game win?!!!

THE BAD NEWS:

TTM: I knew that Chelsea should've stopped at the $18,980 tag.

Bargain Game: That was a little tricky this time and I thought the motorcycle was the bigger bargain. At least the loser, Justin, won his showcase.

THE NOT-SO-BAD NEWS:

Punch-A-Bunch: Good for Nicolette to keep the $5000.

THE GOOD NEWS:

Pick-A-Pair: Cheryl had a easy setup and win!

Line 'Em Up: Another easy setup on the second try for Andrew and nice help from Sarah, who I believed his wife.......I'm not sure. But congrats to Andrew for getting us out the car loss rut.

Flip Flop: Nice win from Elizabeth!

From a lukewarm first half to a very good second half, today was a lot a better than the previous 6 shows.........I hope we can some more wins for the rest of the week.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 01:39:45 PM »
Of all the games to kick off the Christmas-themed shows, they go with That's Too Much!.  At least it was fairly set up; there was a $1,700 jump from the third price to the fourth price.

Pick-a-Pair now has a light blue stripe around its dark blue border, the opaque chase lights have been replaced with clear ones,and the bottom of the prop looks more three-dimensional.  Overall, I think it looks great.

It was great to see Andrew win Line em Up; I thought he would stick with $19,662 as his second guess, but the audience ultimately convinced him to go $10 less than that for the win.

The second showcase was pretty neat with an electric theme; the Focus Electric at the end was a surprise; most of us in chat thought the showcase would end with the electric bikes.  Rob also did a good job showing off the Focus, along with the barbecue on today's show, and I've warmed up to him being a regular model on the show.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Bobby McBride

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 01:48:11 PM »
TTM: It could've gone either way; just didn't happen.

Bargain: For once, picking the TV would've been actually good because most people think TVs are expensive nowadays.

P-a-P: Easy as usual.

LEU: Think goodness Andrew didn't listen to his wife Sarah on going w/ six on the fourth digit after missing all three middle digits on the first try!

Flip-Flop: The audience bails out another player!

PaB: This time, we have a self-induced bailout for $5K.

Showcases: That second Showcase w/ the '13 Focus Electric was tough to win; I thought the Showcase would at least break $50K.

Good show to start off the holiday week.

Offline htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 01:51:47 PM »
Not a bad show today. I like the decorations that they have by the turntable and in front of door #1.

I, too, knew that Chelsea should have picked the third price.

I chose the wrong bargain price as well. To me, it didn't seem as obvious as it sometimes does as to which is the bigger bargain.

If only Justin had bid $10,000 more, then we would've had a DSW to start off Christmas week, with a difference of only $16.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 01:58:34 PM by htmlcc92 »
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline little star

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 02:52:21 PM »
That's Too Much:  I expected a loss.

Bargain Game:  I just knew the TV was the bigger bargain.  But he redeems himself later on nicely.

Pick A Pair:  No need to be happy or get excited when someone wins the easiest grocery item game on the show.

Line Um Up: Sweet comeback for a great guy!!

Flip Flop:  That was so easy a 2 year old would have won.  Our contestant in today's playing is an awesome lady.  Great choice Stan!!

Punch A Bunch:  5k is nothing to sneeze at.

Showcases: Get your passport!!  Brush up on your Spanish!!  Enjoy those trips!!

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 03:37:32 PM »
Pretty decent show. This was one of the few car 4th lineups that worked since it flowed pretty well overall...
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline MultiMediaWill

• In the Audience
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 04:29:02 PM »
What did the audience member yell right before drew revealed the price of the electric car showcase?

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 04:30:46 PM »
Actually a pretty good start to Christmas week. I know I've complained that car 4th-cash 6th lineups are predictable, but this is one of the better ones they've had. LEU is one of the better car games you can have 4th - it just works in that slot. I imagine other longer yet non-fee cars like Pocket would also work as well. And it was won! That was nice to see, on a fairly easy setup which, as luck would have it on this playing, made a loss basically impossible if the 2nd try was played logically.

On the other hand, TTM should never be 1st anyway, and especially not the 1st game of Christmas week. It was set up easier than usual, but was even starting with L7 too much to ask there?

One thing I was hoping to see this week was the non-car games get easier setups, and we definitely saw that today particularly in PAP and Flip. Nice to see Punchy continue its relatively hot streak this year as well. Overall, nothing spectacular at all, but a fairly promising start. Love the decorations this year too!

Timings:
That's Too Much (4) - 3:31
Bargain Game (3.5) - 3:18
Pick A Pair (4.5) - 4:02
Line 'em Up (5.5) - 4:48
Flip Flop (3.5) - 3:38
Punch A Bunch (5.5) - 5:59
Total (26.5): 25:16

Offline elskunkoman

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 05:56:44 PM »
That's too much strikes again. It's a shame justin had tough luck on bargain game. Pick a pair was won thankfully. Line em up was kinda easy. Flip flop was tricky but was won because she listened to the audience. It's a shame punch a bunch wasn't fully won. Nice show today with 3 wins.
pepe! It took us all summer to clean out all the skunk stink from seasons 36, 37, 38, 39, and 40!!!

Offline Shaymin

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • May we have some decorum here, please?
    • Nintendo Free Radio
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 08:08:09 PM »
I'm kind of curious as to what caused the MASSIVE edit during Justin's greetings in the first SCSD. Did he shout out to telephone pole screamers or something?

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 08:36:13 PM »
Well, I never thought the day would come that I would be the one writing a taping report in the day's recap thread, but it was my first visit to the show.  There's not really much to say about everything before getting in the studio.  I'm sure it's been said more than once what the differences are in the experience between now and six years ago.

Let's just start with the moment I passed the replica Bob Barker Studio plaque and set foot in the famous theatre.  My goodness!  The set really is smaller in person than on TV.  Wow, even with all the backstage pictures I've seen over the years, it still looks smaller in person!

They're blaring tunes through the house PA system way louder than they need to be, alternating between current hits and gold tunes.  Once most of us are seated, a montage consisting of the bell mixed in with Crystal Waters's "Come on Down" plays as George says something to introduce himself.  I couldn't make out what it was.  Out from behind the Turntable he walks and everybody jumps to their feet.

I know it's been mentioned before they now play a clip montage introduced by George when you're on the final set of benches.  This is the warmup now, I guess.  George had Ryan Polito come over the PA and say we were going to be ready to roll in two minutes.

So what's the "actual" warmup now?  "Stay with Drew."  That's apparently the only rule George gives us.  Nothing about using Winners' Stairs, making up your own mind, listening to the descriptions of the prizes.  Ouch, no wonder people don't know what to do at the show anymore.  They don't tell you these important things!

Highlights?  Well, pickups I took note of included the various shots behind door number one of the first Showcase.  They also did a pickup on the laptop in the second Showcase.  They reshot the second One Bid as we exited the studio with George also redoing the plug.  He told us to hush up because they needed to reshoot because he slurred some words in the description.

There was a part of Drew's conversation with Rachel at the beginning of Pick-a-Pair that was edited out.  Nothing significant, but I do remember Drew specifically saying "Rachel is pregnant" and we cheered and so forth.

As far as the stopdowns, When Drew wasn't telling lame jokes he was making fun of the various occupations of various audience members, although he didn't make fun of the Marine sitting a couple of rows back from Contestants' Row when he talked to him.  He got to talking about Thanksgiving at one point and said Canada doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving, a fallacy he failed to correct after a few other Canadians in the audience piped up and said, "Yes we do!"

I was surprised to find out there was no stopdown between the first and second games.  No edits there.  Didn't they do a stopdown in the double segment when Bob was still hosting?  Here's something I haven't seen mentioned before: All contestants' names are on cue cards now.  This, I feel, results in a lost part of the PIR experience that going to the show is all about.  Nobody actually hears their name called to come on down.  You can't hear a thing over the cheers, and since they have us cheer for literally everything, the first time you really hear yourself called to come on down is when you watch the show.  The moment was always supposed to be hearing that invitation, not reading your name off a cue card.

The one other note I have is before the second Showcase Showdown, Drew consoled the three leftovers in the Row by letting them know they each won $300.  George also had Rob do the door prize draw, and according to George, it was the first time he did that.  I've never heard that this was part of the practice before, but when they do the door prize draw, you basically get "your own come on down" as George puts it.  They'll pull a name.  He'll call it.  That person comes on down and wins $100.

I'm kind of curious as to what caused the MASSIVE edit during Justin's greetings in the first SCSD. Did he shout out to telephone pole screamers or something?

No, he didn't do anything out of the ordinary as far as I can remember.  For whatever reason, they had us all standing during the Showcase Showdowns, even though you didn't see the audience on camera at any point; and again with all the cheering, it was difficult to hear anything.

Although I will say this, I found this episode much more enjoyable to see in person than to watch on TV.  Perhaps because when you're in the studio, you can block out Drew's mediocre hosting, and everything else they're doing wrong, amongst the indecipherable cheering surrounding you, and focus on the games themselves.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 08:39:14 PM by Nick »
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline stardf29

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 09:13:15 PM »
This was a decent show, particularly starting with PG3.

That's Too Much wasn't that hard; Chelsea just second-guessed herself at the critical point. Ah well.

Andrew pretty much picked the best wrong first choice in Line 'em Up. Though his assistant in the audience had the odd idea of doing double 6's in the price; thankfully the audience steered him right.

$5K on Punchy is never a bad thing.

And now I have an approximate idea of how expensive an electric Ford Focus is.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 09:49:30 PM »
Pick-a-Pair looks pretty snazzy!

Maybe I'm just imagining things, but it seemed like they sorta-kinda fixed the Big Wheel today.  The beeps weren't back to normal, but they seemed more normal than they have for the last week or so.

They definitely edited something out of the first Showcase Showdown today.  I'd love to know what it was -- one minute, Justin was talking, and the next, he just wasn't.

Line em Up was fun to watch.  It pretty much became a forced win on the second turn.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.