Author Topic: Lag/problems connecting?  (Read 7963 times)

Offline ShatterMySoul99

• Walking the Golden Road
Lag/problems connecting?
« on: January 17, 2013, 12:48:44 PM »
I'm not sure if anyone else has reported this privately, and if they have, then I apologize for duplicating with this post...

Today during the show, the chat was very laggy and hard to get into. 

Also, and not sure if it is related, since last night (around 9 or 10pm EST) I have had intermittent problems connecting to the site.   Either everything is really slow to load (but does load eventually and when it does, correctly), or, sometimes if I click on a subject to read a thread, I get an error that SMF cannot connect to the database, possibly because the server is too busy.  If I go back and then click again, it will load, but sometimes not.

Offline doctorwho

Re: Lag/problems connecting?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 01:08:27 PM »
I'm having the same problem with getting on to the site.

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 01:10:20 PM »
It seems to be running normally now.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 01:28:46 PM »
I have been having the same problems.  I click on the site and it just stalls then either says cannot connect, or says website not found.  I was trying the whole show to get into the chatroom and did not get in there until the showcase reveals.  I could get to the main front page, but then that was it.

Offline ShatterMySoul99

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 01:41:48 PM »
Just now, while trying to load this forum to see people's responses, I got this error message:

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 262144) (tried to allocate 30720 bytes) in /home/greenm/public_html/index.php on line 189

I went back, clicked again, and got a similar but slightly different message:

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 786432) (tried to allocate 122880 bytes) in /home/greenm/public_html/Sources/Subs.php on line 1138

Hopefully these help?

-Josh

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 02:15:55 PM »
Golden-Road currently runs on a shared hosting plan with our webhost, and the spikes in activity seem to be coming from elsewhere on the hosting server.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 02:33:46 PM »
Then why is it always the worst in the 11-12 hour?
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline yabbaguy

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 04:29:37 PM »
If there's no simple fix, maybe there's a way we can set up a temp chatroom? Even if it was like a dinky Tinychat or IRC room or similar, if this is the sort of problem that'll subside on its own, that could be our temporary fix.

I may be misunderstanding the issue though...

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 05:12:32 PM »
Basically the issue has been that in the chat during the show, the chat itself has had serious lag to where posts are being eaten, or taking a long time to show up after posting.  The site itself has been borking alot.  As of right now, everything seems to be working just fine.

Offline yabbaguy

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 05:39:06 PM »
Basically the issue has been that in the chat during the show, the chat itself has had serious lag to where posts are being eaten, or taking a long time to show up after posting.  The site itself has been borking alot.  As of right now, everything seems to be working just fine.

I knew that much firsthand, it was annoying yesterday not to be able to get all my witticisms in. ._.

I just wasn't sure if I understood the "why" bit.

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 05:52:43 PM »
I know today alone, I could not get into the chat until about the time of the SC reveal.

Offline William

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Thanks for the memories, Bob!
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 11:48:26 PM »
Um... is anyone else seeing the old version of the site right now?

EDIT: Never mind...
$1,016,378 cash & prizes given away by me in my HYOs!

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 11:50:02 PM »
At the moment, the server load is roughly 10x what it should be, with server memory usage nearly entirely maxed out. I've troubleshot (troubleshooted?) every single element of this site, and it's nothing coming from our end. There have now been site derp-outs during high chat times, low chat times, no chat times, on both new theme and old, and with both the Gallery and FAQ off and on.  It's not a Golden-Road problem, it's a server problem.

Which makes it a Golden Road problem and something we'll need to look into soon. Someone else on the shared server is causing major load spikes, one of which appears to be during the show.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 01:48:31 AM »
I have been having the problem as well.

Someone else on the shared server is causing major load spikes, one of which appears to be during the show.
Hm...

In my opinion, the comments in this thread seem to indicate that the spikes are not unintentional or mere coincidence.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 07:09:21 AM »
I notice it coincided with the banal poetry trend in the recap threads.   Moral of the story: poetry causes server crashes.  :P