Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 1/22/2013  (Read 10428 times)

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
TPiR Recap - 1/22/2013
« on: January 22, 2013, 01:38:23 PM »

It's that time of year again.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 06:23:04 PM by Roadgeek Adam »
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Online Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
Re: TPiR Recap - 1/22/2013
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 01:58:15 PM »
Adam should be fired immediately for the worst Hole setup this show has ever seen. Just terrible, when you play Hole, let them get as close as they want! Oh my god. I can't even count everything that was wrong with it, but I'll try...

-Liquid Plum-R being in there at all
-Liquid Plum-R in its correct spot should have been 1st, 0% of people will pick it 1st
-4 GPs closely spaced between $6.29 and $9.79
-Wood cleaner being in there at all with its random 8.50 price

As far as Roo goes... great playing first time around nearly acing it, then just ended up being a poor decision later. Looking back on it I can see pricing the coffee maker anywhere between $30-$50 as reasonable, so I can kinda get the move. Little blender as $55 was a bit difficult. This is the setup I would welcome with Roo more often, the cheapo obviously goes with a cheapo SP, and let what may happen with the rest.

This lineup was pretty good by putting Move 2nd. But between Freeze, Move and Hole being ridiculously hard and Roo getting blown, this show lost all its potential by 11:35.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline DJTorgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 02:00:39 PM »
Drew explicitly
Mentioned the option to keep
Things the same in Roo

Hole in One WAS hard
But I don't think she would have
Made it from closer
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline elskunkoman

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 02:11:15 PM »
All the games were hard today except 1 right price which was the only game won to save us from a skunking. Alot of 1 for 6's lately.
pepe! It took us all summer to clean out all the skunk stink from seasons 36, 37, 38, 39, and 40!!!

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 02:24:22 PM »
Just another one of "those" shows today.

The only solid (and somewhat easy) win was ORP.

Hole-In-One (or Two) was just..................wow. The grocery items alone was so brutal IMHO

Something tells me that Mike and Adam was aware of the CoG setup, then again I don't think living rooms are worth $8K anyway.

So far, another 1/6 snore today.

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 05:56:09 PM »
Horrible show overall, IMHO.  Man that setup was evil on Hole In One! :oldevil:
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 06:04:54 PM »
Drew explicitly
Mentioned the option to keep
Things the same in Roo
Explanation, please: did Drew say something akin to "Quit or Take Another 30 Seconds?", or did he just say "Here's another 30 seconds, change what you want."?

Also, could someone post the Hole In One setup?
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Online Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 06:08:28 PM »
Explanation, please: did Drew explicitly say something akin to "Quit or Take Another 30 Seconds?", or did he just say "Here's another 30 seconds, change what you want."?

Also, could someone post the Hole In One setup?
Drew explained his version of the bail better than usual today... forcing another 30 seconds is now a guarantee in this era, but he explicitly said you can leave everything alone if you wanted to. In fact, she made the one change quickly and then stopped the clock at above 20 seconds.

Today's All-Time Worst Hole in One Setup That Should Get Adam Fired:

-Liquid Plum-R 3.99
-Gorton's Tilapia 6.29
-IcyHot XL 7.49
-Wood cleaner 8.50
-Ultra Tide 9.69
-Fruit platter 18.99
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 06:11:08 PM »
Someday, the show should learn that you can't force a loss in Hole In One. There is no real purpose in making the GPs hard like today. Today's contestant was not winning until at least the fourth line. Many contestants are going to win regardless from the back line. So there's no real need to mess with the GPs. Maybe have one tricky one, but not something impossible like today. It's just...dumb. Yes, sometimes it will minorly affect the difficulty of the putt, but not enough for them to be doing this as regularly as they are. I'm glad Drew today picked today of all days to reveal all the incorrect GPs - it really revealed how silly this was.

Now that that's off my chest, this was a fairly enjoyable show for a 1/6. Hole In One was a fun playing and Switcheroo was a curious playing - I always feel better when Drew at least makes it clear that you can do nothing. Drew can lift these shows out of the muck when he wants to, and I feel he did that today.

Timings:
Freeze Frame (4) - 3:27
Make Your Move (4.5) - 3:48
Hole In One (7) - 7:04
One Right Price (3.5) - 3:35
Switcheroo (5.5) - 6:00
Coming Or Going (3.5) - 3:08
Total (28): 27:02

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 06:20:54 PM »
Drew explained his version of the bail better than usual today... forcing another 30 seconds is now a guarantee in this era, but he explicitly said you can leave everything alone if you wanted to.
In which case, why force the other 30 seconds? If the contestant can leave everything alone, they should be given the option to just skip having a second timer put on th...

No, actually, I see why the other 30 seconds are forced -- giving players the straight-up option would open the possibility of cutting more out in the editing room because Drew refuses to push contestants during untimed games.

Today's All-Time Worst Hole in One Setup That Should Get Adam Fired:

-Liquid Plum-R 3.99
-Gorton's Tilapia 6.29
-IcyHot XL 7.49
-Wood cleaner 8.50
-Ultra Tide 9.69
-Fruit platter 18.99
While yes, the setup is rather terrible (the clear solution is to simply offer cars in the $13,000-$16,000 range), I doubt Sandler will be so much as slapped on the wrist. On the contrary, and I very much hope I am mistaken, this may be the start of a trend.

I'm glad Drew today picked today of all days to reveal all the incorrect GPs - it really revealed how silly this was.
Credit where credit is due, in that they at least bothered to reveal all six prices.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 06:23:23 PM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 06:24:00 PM »
Recap posted.

Everything has gone wrong today, so I need to de-stress. Any errors I will fix in the morning.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 06:34:15 PM »
Is it me or was the "unwritten trip rule" in Coming or Going finally broken today?

Something tells me that Mike and Adam was aware of the CoG setup, then again I don't think living rooms are worth $8K anyway.

EDIT: I didn't see someone brought it up already
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 06:43:05 PM by 123123123 »

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 06:40:24 PM »
In which case, why force the other 30 seconds? If the contestant can leave everything alone, they should be given the option to just skip having a second timer put on th...

No, actually, I see why the other 30 seconds are forced -- giving players the straight-up option would open the possibility of cutting more out in the editing room because Drew refuses to push contestants during untimed games.

The other 30 seconds are forced for the same reason the "hold the ace" rule needs to be gotten rid of in Card Game - it is pointless and for no reason. If the contestant does not have all 5 correct, even if they may have the car right, why NOT go for all 5 right? If they think the car is right and bail, good for them. If they think the car is right and continue and change the others and win all 5, great for them!

Another reason I can think of is that it makes the game easier to time so that pre-written lineups can work without having a show end up running short needing Drew to lengthen it because a contestant randomly bailed in Switcheroo.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 06:42:16 PM »
Is it me or was the "unwritten trip rule" in Coming or Going finally broken today?
Yeah, I think Mike and Adam knew that we would understand the strategy.

Offline TPIRighteous

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 07:12:57 PM »
Yeah, I think Mike and Adam knew that we would understand the strategy.

Yes, because I'm sure us noticing it was the reason they didn't do it. :roll:

It's still disheartening to see that a modern unwritten rule has so quickly gone by the wayside. That, or it was just a freaky coincidence that it was happening in the first place.