Author Topic: 27 years ago today  (Read 2547 times)

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
27 years ago today
« on: January 28, 2013, 11:36:49 AM »
Well, I did not realize it until now that sadly today marks 27 years since the space shuttle challenger disaster.  Where were you when it happened?  I think I was in the 5th grade and I think I remember being at home watching it, granted I have no idea why I was home since I was in the 5th grade. 

Offline Kirsten Vaccaro

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Me On February 27, 2016
    • It's My Facebook Page.
Re: 27 years ago today
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 01:34:19 PM »
I Was 12 Years Old when the challenger blew up it was so sad. :(
A Big Rich Fields Drew Carey And Jeff Davis Fan For Ever From Kirsten

Rich Fields Thanks Kirsten. I pick out and supply all of my own clothing. That light gray suit is hard to pair with shirts and ties... but I think the lavender shirt and purple patterned tie pulled it all together.

My Favorite Announcers On The Price Is Right Are Johnny Olson Rod Roddy Rich Fields Jeff Davis.

I Met And Took Two Pictures With Jeff Davis On May 24, 2012 He Is So Nice And Kind In Person.

Rich Fields said this about Drew Carey will always be the first to defend Drew (Carey). He's one of the most genuine, down to earth people in Hollywood that I've ever met. He was the first to come to me and tell me that the show was going in a different direction. He assured me it was not his decision to let me go and I believe him. No one else was open and honest about it, but Drew was. We've continued working together on different projects and we stay in regular touch. We'll be good friends well into the future.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 02:26:00 PM »
'Twas my mother's 56th birthday that day and I had planned to call her on a lunch break to say happy birthday. (I was working at Mickey D's at the time). She called me with news the Space Shuttle blew up. Once I got home, I tuned in to the TV and all three networks were covering the tragedy (much to the anger of soap opera fans, who flooded the network with phone calls).
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline 03F5man

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 10:13:11 PM »
I was not born then

Offline zaxby1159

• Outside in Line
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 10:29:26 PM »
Why do you people keep posting these useless and sometimes morbid threads?  First it's death of a relative, then it's self-congratulatory birthday threads, and now this.  The games in this forum are bad enough, but can we please keep the useless threads to a minimum?

Offline GSB92

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 10:30:58 PM »
Why do you people keep posting these useless and sometimes morbid threads?  First it's death of a relative, then it's self-congratulatory birthday threads, and now this.  The games in this forum are bad enough, but can we please keep the useless threads to a minimum?

Welcome to the Out in Left Field section.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 10:38:02 PM »
Rare situation here, but a first post from a guy I can 100% agree with.

No other board I've been to has so many OBITs and anniversary threads and all this crap. It really is unnecessary, and it's a certain segment of the userbase doing most of it, too.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline GSB92

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 10:39:56 PM »
I will bring up what Marc said last month.

Also, I have no intention of removing sections of this site.  If you don't like the games or the off topic stuff...just stay out of those areas

Offline zaxby1159

• Outside in Line
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 10:45:15 PM »
I will bring up what Marc said last month.

If you'll notice, I didn't ask anyone to remove any part of the site, and Wayoshi didn't either.  What I said was that I wished the "certain segment of the userbase" would give it a rest.  A suggestion in the thread at the top of the forum makes too much sense, give games (and obits too while we're at it) their own subforum.  At least now they're getting locked if they're left idle for long enough and as long as enough different people are involved.  No more of that ping-pong between two or three people.

Offline jwatson2973

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 10:47:23 PM »
I made that mistake with making that birthday thread myself. I apologize for that, too. I'll never make that mistake again.

I was in 6th grade when it happened.

It'll be better just to delete the pointless threads instead of locking them. Just a thought.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 10:49:31 PM »
The obituaries I can live with.

I find myself agreeing less and less with the anniversaries though.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 11:02:00 PM »

While you might be right, that seems a bit harsh. Especially the "you people".

The obituaries I can live with.

I find myself agreeing less and less with the anniversaries though.

Exactly. Every single day is the anniversary of some tragic event or someone's death or some other horrible thing. It just seems like these threads seem to "clutter" OILF with sadness over events that happened 27 years ago or __ years ago, etc. Is where we were (if we were around) 27 years ago going to have a different response than what this topic got 2 years ago on the 25th anniversary?
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline zaxby1159

• Outside in Line
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 11:06:14 PM »
While you might be right, that seems a bit harsh. Especially the "you people".

I know I'm right.  And "you people" seemed nicer than "you morons" or anything along those lines.

Exactly. Every single day is the anniversary of some tragic event or someone's death or some other horrible thing. It just seems like these threads seem to "clutter" OILF with sadness over events that happened 27 years ago or __ years ago, etc. Is where we were (if we were around) 27 years ago going to have a different response than what this topic got 2 years ago on the 25th anniversary?

I couldn't help but notice that other topic is by the same user.  And looking at their post history, the same guy also started an anniversary-of-an-obit topic a while back.  Threads like this one and that one are not necessary.  I'm surprised this one hasn't been locked yet.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 11:16:18 PM by zaxby1159 »

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 11:42:28 PM »
I see that Mr. Zaxby has been dealt with, so no need to dwell on this topic any further.

If you have a problem with the content of any part of this section or the site, the appropriate means of dealing with it is via PM to either myself, another moderator, or an administrator. Publicly calling these sorts of things and backseat moderating is not it. Especially when this thread isn't as nonsensical as others that have been locked.

I do find myself agreeing with others that feel that this section has been getting out of hand. There's no need for birthday threads, anniversary threads for tragic events, and the like.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 11:46:13 PM by cu2010 »
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline jwatson2973

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 06:53:30 PM »
So that I don't make the same mistake, I'm just going to post replies and NOT start topics so that I'll prevent myself from making a possible pointless thread again.