Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 4/1/2013 (TPiR Fools in April 2013 - Models Rule)  (Read 16385 times)

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 04:54:09 PM by Roadgeek Adam »
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline DJTorgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
Re: TPiR Recap - 4/1/2013 (TPiR Fools in April 2013 - Models Rule)
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 01:26:44 PM »
This was a cute idea.  The funniest moment, to me, was when Drew was swimming on top of the washer/dryer as Tuggs was coming out.

Before anyone tries to make any wise remarks, none of the models were quite as good as either Drew or George in the respective positions ... but that's not what it was about; the show was supposed to be a fun time, and that's exactly what it accomplished.

Although Manuela should really learn how to pronounce words like "fifty" and "Toyota"...
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 01:32:00 PM »
Keeping things simple was a wise move and worked well this year. Let's hope future AFD episodes will do the same.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline UniquePerspective

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The More You Know.
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 01:33:57 PM »
There was exactly one moment that irked me today. During the second showcase showdown, Drew made a comment to the two contestants along the lines of "If she [the third contestant in the showdown] goes over, you'll both spin again." Wasn't the point of you switching roles today was so that you didn't host? Whoever was hosting that Showdown (I think that was Gwen but I don't fully remember) could have taken care of that. I generally speaking also didn't care for Drew randomly being there during the showdown, but that was more of a pet peeve. However, I loved the fact that Manuela read the Fremantle plug and the first closed captioning plug, very nice touch. And it was overall a fun show, I'd certainly say the best of the Rarity Is Best Pony shows that Roger Richards has produced.

Yeah...let's make this current shall we?

Season 39 CSS Stats:
Games: 7 Top 10 Finishes: 2 Top 5 Finishes: 1 Overs: 3 DSW:0 WSD: 0 GOTC: 3 WOTC: 0

Offline FieldsFan336

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Pika!
    • Behind the Microphone: The Rich Fields Fan Site
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 01:40:15 PM »
I know I'm practically his biggest groupie around here, but I was very impressed by Rob's performance today in both hosting and announcing.  George and Drew cracked me up through the whole episode too

This was a show I had been looking forward to since that initial post, and it delivered.  Well done!
Rich Fields' #1 Fan for Life / 2011 CSS playoffs bronze medalist / Blitz Club (sole survivor of the Survivor special) / First QSW 5/9/23

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 01:47:00 PM »
As DJ alluded to earlier, none of the models were as good as Drew or George. But that does not mean that they weren't good.

Conversely, I think Drew and George showed that modeling is not as easy as you would think.  :-)

I personally enjoyed hearing the models extensively talk on air. Especially in the case of Manuela and Gwen, they all have an unique tone in their voice.

The games were all pretty well set-up, but the contestants couldn't capitalize. You know when the hardest game of the day is Easy as 1-2-3, there are suppose to be lots of wins.  :-)

So overall, great April Fools Day episode. Can't wait to see what they do next year.

Offline WooWho

• TPiR Alumnus
  • 1/20/2010
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 01:47:11 PM »
I'm watching this as I type this...nothing but great fun.  Fantastic.

Drew and George cracked me up more as models than they do in their regular jobs!

I think Rob was probably the best host, but I think Gwen was the best announcer.  Like Torgo said, though, it's all about having fun, and everyone did that.  I think it was a success.

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 01:48:26 PM »
Well, this was quite a departure from the other April Fools shows they've done. It didn't go out of its way to be as wacky as possible, but rather made one seemingly simple change and let that be the focus of the show, with everything else going on as normal. We do know, however, that that change was far from simple, as all the obvious edits and retakes (that we could have anticipated) could prove. Still, after today we all know why the models do their jobs and don't host :) But I appreciate the effort it took to put this together. It was weird but yet at the same time it felt simple and not overwhelming to the TV viewer, and it worked. The obvious stars of the day were Drew and George, who naturally hammed it up for maximum effect (I especially enjoyed Drew and the contestant's pillow fight in Double Prices - that was a great unscripted moment). I feel like basic things like contestant interaction got lost today, but I do appreciate the obvious effort made to coach the models through step by step on how to host one-bids, the SCSDs, the showcases and each game. The game lineup chosen was simple, and short, but still a lineup that made sense, unlike last time. For what it's worth, I thought Rob seemed the most comfortable hosting, although that may be male-host bias at work. He explained TTM better than Drew! I really didn't care for Amber as a host much (Plinko was God-awful - it was like taking the already bad thing Drew does in that game and making it 1000x worse; she did recover to do much better in Eazy as 123 though still a bit too over the top) but she was a solid announcer. In all, maybe the hosting/announcing we saw today will make people appreciate Drew/George a little bit more, although little of it (that made it to air!) was egregiously bad :) Everything did sound well coached though, and there were moments that were handled better than Drew would have  at times (particularly, the end of losses!)

Speaking of losses, I don't want to let that get lost in today. This show was set up pretty easy overall - Switch? was a trap and Eazy a bit hard, but the car games and Plinko were left wide open and it's not like even the hard games were unwinnable today. Yet, I feel there's a definite distraction factor going on on these type shows that prevents them from being big win shows. They have to make it even more obvious than today, apparently. When there's this much going on, it's going to get an already hyperventilating contestant extra frazzled and that could cause them to possibly bungle a gimme. I'm mainly speaking of the Halloween and April Fools shows here. I find the shows entertaining to watch and they rarely disappoint, but I've seen enough easy setups "blown" on this type show to make me think unfortunately distraction is a factor. They are 2 days a season, but soething to keep in mind.

Still, the occasional cringe factor (i.e. in Plinko) keeps it from taking the top spot away from S37, but this is easily my 2nd favorite April Fools show - great job on the execution overall of something difficult to pull off! And did anyone else notice the model search video references in SC1? I thought it was great that Rob got to announce George going through essentially the exact same SC he had to go through to get on the show.

Timings:
Money Game (4.5) - 4:12
Switch? (3.5) - 2:52
Plinko (5.5) - 5:16
Double Prices (4) - 3:25
That's Too Much (4) - 3:29
Eazy as 123 (4) - 4:44
Total (24.5 - heh): 23:58

Offline Bobby McBride

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 01:49:10 PM »
The only real hard game, IMO, was Eazy Az 1-2-3.

Offline WooWho

• TPiR Alumnus
  • 1/20/2010
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 01:54:14 PM »
George during SC1 = so much win.

Also, anyone notice Drew tried to water the waterproof TV in SC2 and completely missed?

Offline TinoStar11

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 02:10:45 PM »
I say that Gwen did the best hosting and announcing and as a bonus she got to do the Fremantle Media end show plug. The only thing the show was missing was Rachel. She would have love it , but as you know, parenthood comes 1st.

Offline noahproblem

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 02:29:15 PM »
For the most part it was about what could be expected - everyone looked liked they enjoyed what they were doing but I doubt they're going to send this to the Emmy committee.

The only potential problem that could have come up happened in Plinko when Amber forgot to remove the first chip from the $1000 slot.  What would have been done had the second chip tried to go into that slot and bounced away into the $0 or $500?

The winning bells when Drew performed the trampoline flip was cute (although if they had an East German judge he probably would have received the losing horns  :P)

In its own way I thought Switch? was evil - I figured they wanted the contestant to switch just for the comedic value of watching Drew and Gary perform the switch.

That seemed like a huge gap between that last "too low" price and the winning price in That's Too Much - I was surprised after they revealed Tiffany lost that she only needed to go one more time.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 02:31:40 PM by noahproblem »
So this is the "get off of my lawn" stage of my life.  I'm not impressed.

Offline 03F5man

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 03:43:55 PM »
for the car games i would have gone with Lucky $even perhaps drew or george would have found door 3 with the car and pocket change so they could call it "CRAZY DREW'S" car lot. Also how funny would it have been if they had an air hockey table with drew and george going at it and drew scores a goal on george
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 03:46:33 PM by 03F5man »

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 04:16:20 PM »
Amber came across as a bit of a brat in the proceedings... put a damper on things.

The rest was fine, but we really bottomed out in the winnings at 2/6. Unlike 2009 and 2011 though, there were no super amazing moments (and I know some will like that, but... eh, I don't think they quite got everything out of this one they could).
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 04:30:33 PM »
Too bad there weren't more wins, but a fun show overall, IMHO.
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!