Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 5/3/2013 (TPiR Kids Special 2013)  (Read 31835 times)

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
TPiR Recap - 5/3/2013 (TPiR Kids Special 2013)
« on: May 03, 2013, 12:27:25 PM »
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 04:25:24 PM by Roadgeek Adam »
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
Re: TPiR Recap - 5/3/2013 (TPiR Kids Special 2013)
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 01:02:28 PM »
Where ever the show got that peanut butter from, I want to never shop there.  That price absolutely blew me away.  I know peanut butter; I use tons of it.

During Secret "X," I was actually wondering whether they'd put the X on the bottom, since it was for a car, or if they'd put the X in the middle, since it was a kids' show, and Mike wouldn't want to be mean on a kids' show.  I guess he would be, though :P.

Sally did not bother me.  She wasn't the most polite kid there, but then, she's ten.  I don't really expect kids to not act like kids.  Kids not having the tact adults have just kinda' goes with the territory.

Eazy az 1-2-3 is quite fitting on a kids' show :oldlol:.  For that matter, I found it interesting that all 6 games played involved moving props around, I have to imagine on purpose.  Playing with various stuff is just so kid-friendly.  It makes sense that they did it that way, really :).

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 01:08:33 PM »
The show was kind of so-so for me. It's too bad the results weren't better.

I will cut Sally slack for being a kid, although, really, she was old enough to know better. Maybe the whole atmosphere and everything got to her. It gets to some adults sometimes.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline Bobby McBride

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 01:09:26 PM »
A shame we weren't all that close in today's big three PGs (Let 'Em Roll, PL!NKO & Secret X), but it was nice to see Erin Payne compete on another game show (she previously was on "Don't Forget the Lyrics!" w/ Wayne Brady & "The Singing Bee" w/ Melissa Peterman).

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 01:12:26 PM »
This episode ultimately turned out to be just boring. They didn't overdo it on gimmicks or have Connor or Adam's kids on like I expected they might, it was just a normal show with kids. Playing kid-interactive games that they could get involved in. This did lead to a unique lineup with lots of games that have been underplayed this season, so I appreciate that part. On the other hand, there really aren't that many interactive games out there, plus having kids involved when pricing a car probably isn't a good idea (glad they left that out today), so this limits them if they want to do more kids specials in the future, though they probably will.

Setups overall were a bit disappointing. On a special you're advertising this heavily, both car games shouldn't be set up for losses. In particular, just let Roll play out - that's going to get lost a lot anyway plus the kid might even be able to help if the products are obvious! And I've stated before that I disagree with Secret X for a car being used on principle (on a 2-car day anyway), and this does nothing to change my mind (because let's face it, the X is always going to be on the bottom). While it's not interactive, a kid might be entertained enough by Cliffy for them to use it anyway, and it would be fairer. I'm sure there are other games I'm missing too. Just poorly thought out.

The poor sportsmanship during the 2nd showcase showdown should have been edited out. Yes, a kid will say that, but I would hope their parent would be on them! And since this parent wasn't, just edit out - throw in random camera shots of Drew and wipe the audio, do whatever you have to do. That just seems out of the spirit of the show. Other than that, the kids were very well behaved though! This really wasn't the nightmare some thought it would be because they did plan for it very well, it just turned out to be blah instead. Just let the car games play out and maybe it's more than blah.

Timings:
Balance Game (4) - 3:40
Let 'em Roll (5.5) - 5:44
Plinko (5.5) - 5:37
Eazy as 123 (4) - 4:33
Secret X (4.5) - 4:29
Side By Side (3.5) - 2:36
Total (27): 25:39

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 01:14:34 PM »
Not the train-wreck some expected it to be, overall a decent show.

Balance Game setup easily for a Trip to Disney World was the perfect way to start off the show.

Holy crap was that Peanut Butter nasty.

Secret "X" was a very nice surprise, especially for a Car!

Sally was beyond obnoxious, to the point where it became embarrassing. I know she's just a kid, but if we can judge Connor for just getting in the way, it is fair game to judge Sally for acting the (10 times worse) way she did during today's show. Also, even the kids who were younger than her acted better than her, that should say something.

Fun to note, originally Drew gave a promo for big money week after the Showcases. Today, they edited that out for obvious reasons. I myself hoped they would leave it in just for shiggles. :P
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 01:28:28 PM »
About the last thing I expected this to be was boring. They had assets to use to at least try to liven things up, and yet it came off as doing it for the sake of doing it.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 01:29:32 PM »
I think we can all agree that this was a bad idea............

The majority of games were pretty much a damn cakewalk (excluding Plinko and Roll)............The aptly-named (considering today) Easy As 1-2-3 and Balance Game were a obvious cinch.

However, some of the others really had me shaking my head:

On Let 'Em Roll, I noticed something with one of the grocery items............I ask you, "Who in their right mind would waste over six bucks for peanut butter?!" And if there is such a person, I'd like to meet him/her. That was pretty cruel to make that expensive, either way. I could've gotten PB at Wal-Mart for 1/2 off that price, if not much less than that.

Side-By-Side was just had me reeling...............A pair of go-karts are not worth $9855 (Duh......), so Sarah and Sally should've seen the writing on the wall on that one.

Plus, if anyone knew that the Secret X was gonna be on the bottom, say, "aye."

Overall, it was what many had expected, and lot of us shouldn't be that surprised. On the bright side, at least the kids (not including Sally, unfortunately) did behave themselves, and I guess considering the outcome of this unnecessary special, that's saying a whole lot. But come on.......Even though the car games were easy enough to win (and besides, God forbid Mike and Adam would want to put TTM, Cover-Up, or Stack in the lineup), at least one of them should've been won.........Especially Secret X.

Overall, it was what it was: A total bore.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 01:37:35 PM by PriceBusterXL »

Offline DJTorgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 01:33:34 PM »
Side-By-Side was just had me reeling...............A pair of go-karts are not worth $9855 (Duh......)

You're on a bad streak here, please stop. I mean it. ~Prizes

To quote vadernader,
$3.49 * 2 = $6.98, which rounds to $7.  Is $7 even?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 09:31:24 PM by prizes22 »
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 01:43:01 PM »
Your arrogance hasn't faltered, I see.  Explain why this is dumb?

To quote vadernader,
$3.49 * 2 = $6.98, which rounds to $7.  Is $7 even?
I never said I was arrogant. Side was a easy set-up, is all.............Besides, I don't recall a pair of go-karts being worth $9800+, anyway.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 01:51:55 PM by PriceBusterXL »

Offline htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 01:49:22 PM »
I don't remember seeing that happen on Let Em Roll before (having to re-roll a die because it landed on top of some others diagonally). Though it is probably far from the first time it has happened.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline UniquePerspective

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The More You Know.
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 01:50:28 PM »
I've said this before, but I think the way I view this special is that...it didn't really make much of a difference to me compared to most other episodes, other than the extra contestants. I sort of viewed this as a standard Price episode that happened to have kids, which I think is how mostly Drew hosted it as well. So I viewed the show on its own merit which was...ok.

I wonder if Carter knows he's in the history books for now as youngest contestant ever. Should be pretty cool, and if the 10 year rule applies, he only would be 18 by the time he'd get to play again.
Yeah...let's make this current shall we?

Season 39 CSS Stats:
Games: 7 Top 10 Finishes: 2 Top 5 Finishes: 1 Overs: 3 DSW:0 WSD: 0 GOTC: 3 WOTC: 0

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 01:51:35 PM »
I think we can all agree that this was a bad idea............

Actually, no, we can't all agree on that.

The majority of games were pretty much a damn cakewalk (excluding Plinko and Roll)............The aptly-named (considering today) Easy As 1-2-3 and Balance Game were a obvious cinch.

How are 2 games (or even 3) out of 6 a majority? Secret "X" was hard, Roll was hard, Plinko was Plinko.

Side-By-Side was just had me reeling...............A pair of go-karts are not worth $9855 (Duh......), so Sarah and Sally should've seen the writing on the wall on that one.

We've had BMS's that were $5,000 each on the show before, these were just not those.

I don't recall a pair of go-karts being worth $9800+, anyway.

Link. Those BMS Sand Snipers look similar to the King Cobra's on the show today, and are $5,495 Each. Source: A LMAD Episode

Yeah, it was an easy set-up, but it was not "DUH......." worthy.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 02:05:01 PM »
Actually, no, we can't all agree on that.

How are 2 games (or even 3) out of 6 a majority? Secret "X" was hard, Roll was hard, Plinko was Plinko.

We've had BMS's that were $5,000 each on the show before, these were just not those.

Link. Those BMS Sand Snipers look similar to the King Cobra's on the show today, and are $5,495 Each. Source: A LMAD Episode
Yeah, it was an easy set-up, but it was not "DUH......." worthy.
Then, I guess it is just that: Just a easy set-up, and not "Duh"-worthy. I really didn't try to make The Kids Special to come off as a bad idea, but some people were afraid that it would be just that..........And I would've assumed that the "X" being on the bottom (seeing that it was played for automobile) was common to everyone, but I see now that's totally not the case. Seems I was relying a lot on gut feelings and intuitions instead. No disrespect towards anyone, and I want to leave it as that.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 02:08:02 PM by PriceBusterXL »

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 02:18:35 PM »
Then, I guess it is just that: Just a easy set-up, and not "Duh"-worthy. I really didn't try to make The Kids Special to come off as a bad idea, but some people were afraid that it would be just that..........And I would've assumed that the "X" being on the bottom (seeing that it was played for automobile) was common to everyone, but I see now that's totally not the case. Seems I was relying a lot on gut feelings and intuitions instead. No disrespect towards anyone, and I want to leave it as that.

Oh, you're fine. I never thought you were being disrespectful at all. Yeah, Secret "X" having the X on the bottom was clearly where it was going to be today, even though I hoped it might not. :P