Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 5/14/2013  (Read 7976 times)

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
TPiR Recap - 5/14/2013
« on: May 14, 2013, 10:04:24 PM »
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 10:23:08 PM by Roadgeek Adam »
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
Re: TPiR Recap - 5/14/2013
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 10:07:23 PM »
I don't mind Move being lost, although it probably shouldn't have been lost like that. I do mind Bonkers being asinine and overpricing a Dart by way too much.

Are you kidding me with a $65 iron in Bee? I think that crosses into Zach Horan territory.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 10:10:23 PM by Wayoshi »
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 10:15:48 PM »
Interesting mixed bag of a show today. Always nice and exciting to see a Bee win at the last possible moment. I do agree that $65 is more than a bit over the line in this game. Does anyone know what the previous highest SP was in this game/ the range Roger generally used? While Bee is usually tricky, I really haven't had any legitimate complaints before that randomly super high iron.

Other than that, boy, we had a nice lineup but it was rounded out with frustrating playings. A bad slow Bonkers is standard (although at least go with the odds?), and a Move where the audience convinces the person to change out of the right answer is also standard (though that took forever and was painful to watch). But having those both on the same show combined with our first Stack all season where someone does well on the groceries, yet goes on to overprice the Dart by 9k, yikes. At least Bee was won!

Timings:
Switch? (3.5) - 3:04
Spelling Bee (6) - 6:04
Bonkers (4.5) - 4:15
Make Your Move (4.5) - 4:35
Stack the Deck (5.5) - 5:17
Coming Or Going (3.5) - 3:02
Total (27.5): 26:27

Offline wildbill0962

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Golden Road's Unofficial Official Bracketologist
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 10:18:35 PM »
Yea, Bonkers was pretty painful to watch. Unfortunate that the player moved away from the right price in Make Your Move, but great win in Spelling Bee. And as far as Stack went, I was ok (and I know others were, too) when the girl said 2 for the first number, because we were thinking "Ok, maybe she is going $21k", which wasn't out of the question. Once she put 7 in the second slot, we knew it was lost, which was unfortunate.
Pete Carroll has the biggest balls in the world.

10th place in 2010-2011 CSS
16th place in 2011-2012 CSS
17th place in 2012-2013 CSS

B/R Profile: http://bleacherreport.com/users/1048731-bill-riccette
Follow me on Twitter for my take on the Eagles, NCAA Tournament Bracketology and various sports topics @Bill_Riccette https://twitter.com/Bill_Riccette
http://billriccettenfl.wordpress.com/

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 10:20:48 PM »
Does anyone know what the previous highest SP was in this game/ the range Roger generally used? While Bee is usually tricky, I really haven't had any legitimate complaints before that randomly super high iron.

The record is at least $70, and SP's with a price greater than $50 have appeared in the game more than once over the last 25 years.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 10:24:08 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 10:23:23 PM »
Recap up.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline whammy007

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Thank Goodson It's Friday (Prediction Game)
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 10:29:26 PM »
Bee was a nice win, despite the $65 curveball iron. I knew it was going to be a lot higher than $20, but not by that much!

Not much to say on Switch and CoG... they were won, which is good, nothing else really notable.

Move had a chance to be won, the right answer was under consideration, but abandoned at the last second.

The Bonkers player did the absolute wrong thing (as usual) in looking at the audience, and I appreciated Drew calling him out on it. I also noted that going with the odds when picking numbers (like you would in Dice Game) would give you the win.

As for Stack the Deck... I don't much care for the game, but that wasn't the issue here, the problem was the invisible gold plating on that Dodge Dart. I guess the player saw something we didn't?  :D

Overall, not too bad of a show, could've been better, but also could've been a lot worse. Had potential to be a winning show, but goes in the record books as a push.

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 10:49:37 PM »
Despite being quite jumbled, which is a bad thing, it was a little better than yesterday.

THE BAD NEWS:

MYM: I would've lost on this........Sucks for Jeremy.

Stack The Deck: For me, this was a real double whammy:

1. Drew calling Amber "the luckiest model on this game".
2. Melissa thinking that a Dodge Dart would cost $21K+. Tsk, tsk, tsk.............

Bonkers: You think that someone with that much energy "coming on down" and going up the stage like Kyle would do well on a game like that. Well.........

Not only he was (for lack of a better word) slow, he did the one thing that Drew told him not to do........And the same thing that we were hoping he wouldn't do: Looking at the audience. Now, that's breaking the cardinal rule on a game like Bonkers. At least he got a grand on the wheel and a sailboat at the end.

THE GOOD NEWS:

Switch?: Too damn easy, but good job by Daniel!

CoG: Same for Amanda!

Spelling Bee: Way to go for Tracey, but $65 for a iron? Ouch..........

Not too bad half-and-half show today, but I don't know why Amber didn't do any modeling on the pricing games, though. ???
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 10:57:24 PM by PriceBusterXL »

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 11:00:32 PM »
A bad slow Bonkers is standard (although at least go with the odds

The Bonkers player did the absolute wrong thing (as usual) in looking at the audience, and I appreciated Drew calling him out on it. I also noted that going with the odds when picking numbers (like you would in Dice Game) would give you the win.

It seems odd that so many people playing this game lately seem to ignore this (going with the odds) - while it may not always be right, when the numbers are relatively close to the ends it would make sense to at least try that option first.

And the fact that people seem to figure it out in other games (think of all the card games, how many people would pick lower if the card showing was a 3 or 4, or higher if it was a Jack or Queen?).

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 11:07:38 PM »
Despite being quite jumbled, which is a bad thing, it was a little better than yesterday.

THE BAD NEWS:

MYM: I would've lost on this........Sucks for Jeremy.

2. Melissa thinking that a Dodge Dart would cost $21K+. Tsk, tsk, tsk.............

Bonkers: You think that someone with that much energy "coming on down" and going up the stage like Kyle would do well on a game like that. Well.........

Not only he was (for lack of a better word) slow, he did the one thing that Drew told him not to do........And the same thing that we were hoping he wouldn't do: Looking at the audience. Now, that's breaking the cardinal rule on a game like Bonkers. At least he got a grand on the wheel and a sailboat at the end.

THE GOOD NEWS:

Switch?: Too damn easy, but good job by Daniel!

CoG: Same for Amanda!

Spelling Bee: Way to go for Tracey, but $65 for a iron? Ouch..........

Not too bad half-and-half show today, but I don't know why Amber didn't do any modeling on the pricing games, though. ???
I meant, "Melissa thinking that a Dodge Dart would cost $27K+. Tsk, tsk, tsk........" Nevertheless, she should've realized that she's not playing for a muscle car.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 11:11:30 PM by PriceBusterXL »

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 11:09:44 PM »
It seems odd that so many people playing this game lately seem to ignore this (going with the odds) - while it may not always be right, when the numbers are relatively close to the ends it would make sense to at least try that option first.

And the fact that people seem to figure it out in other games (think of all the card games, how many people would pick lower if the card showing was a 3 or 4, or higher if it was a Jack or Queen?).

Yes, but there is something that happens when some people get on stage. They do things they wouldn't normally do. For example, be extremely deliberate and slow. It didn't seem like he was even paying attention to what the odds were or even what the numbers were. It looked like he was trying to see where to stick the pieces of the jigsaw puzzle by just staring at the puzzle for 10 seconds and jamming one down and hoping it fits.

I meant, "Melissa thinking that a Dodge Dart would cost $27K+. Tsk, tsk, tsk........"

You don't need to quote your entire post to make one correction...
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 11:12:55 PM »
Yes, but there is something that happens when some people get on stage. They do things they wouldn't normally do. For example, be extremely deliberate and slow. It didn't seem like he was even paying attention to what the odds were or even what the numbers were. It looked like he was trying to see where to stick the pieces of the jigsaw puzzle by just staring at the puzzle for 10 seconds and jamming one down and hoping it fits.

You don't need to quote your entire post to make one correction...
Force of habit. Sorry.

Offline Swingbatta0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Woefully underplayed.
    • Nick's Table of Trades
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 11:44:58 PM »

Very doubtful on 1, but you're right about 2.
If interested in trading, consult Nick's Table of Trades:

http://tableoftrades.weebly.com/index.html

Offline stardf29

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 01:39:41 AM »
Nice Bee win, despite the evil $65 iron.

But yeah, there were some really... questionable playing elsewhere in the show. Make Your Move was painful to see, knowing he had it right but changed it because of the audience (who clearly doesn't know about the evens rule), but at least that's not particularly unusual. There's also someone who clearly doesn't understand the speed aspect of Bonkers!... and then there's a contestant who actually had a decent chance at Stacky... but then she thought a Dodge Dart was $27K.  :roll:

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 02:25:15 AM »
Man, what a good show!  Drew was largely on the ball, the contestants seemed genuine and excited, and Stack the Deck was even winnable for once!  I wish every episode could be like this one.

That said, cripes were there some goofy decisions made on this show.  Kyle seemed like a really nice guy, but he clearly had no idea what he was doing in Bonkers, and Melissa...well, I'd like to sell her some surfboards.  There is no conceivable reason Stack the Deck should have played out that way.

The iron in Spelling Bee seemed like an attempt by Mike and Adam to make the game hard.  While it was missed, the two of them really need to realize that you can't control Spelling Bee.

I still can't get over how fairly Stack the Deck was set up.  Nothing was really a gimme, but there was no item that you were going to look at and immediately pick the wrong answer for, either.  Anyone could reasonably have gotten all three free numbers today, after which anyone who wasn't Melissa probably would have won. :P
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.