Author Topic: Sound Effects Lady Being Forced Out  (Read 15439 times)

Offline nbuckler14

• Walking the Golden Road
Sound Effects Lady Being Forced Out
« on: June 17, 2013, 12:47:31 AM »
I was scrolling through my facebook feed and came across this from the Price is Right Sound Effects Lady (sorry I can't remember her name, her name on facebook is Price is Right Sound Effects Lady. For some reason, the name Hope comes to mind?)

Her post.

I wish her the best of luck on her future endeavors.
This is Nick Buckler speaking for The Price is Right, a MARK GOODSON TELEVISION PRODUCTION!!!!  (catches breath)  Stay tuned for The Old and the Reckless on most of these CBS stations!

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
Re: Sound Effects Lady Being Forced Out
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 12:50:08 AM »
As I click on the link, it seems she's blaming the producer over greed.........Either way, that really came out of nowhere.

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 01:04:53 AM »
That's a shame. I have a feeling this is only the beginning of this kind of thing. Hopefully I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 01:12:55 AM by Hag »
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 01:28:13 AM »
I'm having a hard time of understanding how you automate sound effects on The Price is Right. Not the actual automating of them, that's easy, but the cuing of them. There has to be someone there to play the cues at the right time, right? Unless they somehow rig every game to a system that knows a win or a loss and can play the effect, this doesn't make any sense. One Away seems practically impossible to automate unless the entire prop is a big computer.

If this is true, it really doesn't make any sense.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline Johnnya2k4

• The AllenBlog
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 01:33:05 AM »
"Oh, mighty sound effects lady...YOU'RE FIRED!!!!"

But the sound effects used to come from a keyboard (as evidenced by Crook & Chase's visit to TPIR); nowadays, they're on an iPad or other touchscreen module.

Offline nbuckler14

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 01:39:30 AM »
I'm having a hard time of understanding how you automate sound effects on The Price is Right. Not the actual automating of them, that's easy, but the cuing of them. There has to be someone there to play the cues at the right time, right? Unless they somehow rig every game to a system that knows a win or a loss and can play the effect, this doesn't make any sense. One Away seems practically impossible to automate unless the entire prop is a big computer.

If this is true, it really doesn't make any sense.
You know, I was wondering the exact same thing, it's not exactly something you can set a timer for, well, except for time running out on timed games.
This is Nick Buckler speaking for The Price is Right, a MARK GOODSON TELEVISION PRODUCTION!!!!  (catches breath)  Stay tuned for The Old and the Reckless on most of these CBS stations!

Offline djsquare

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • tpirmodels.com
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 04:15:41 AM »
Anyone knows for sure it's really her facebook account?

Offline DJTorgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 06:58:39 AM »
Anyone knows for sure it's really her facebook account?

My thoughts exactly.  The title of the show still officially has "The" in it, and the entire post just seems amateurish.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 07:27:11 AM »
My thoughts exactly.  The title of the show still officially has "The" in it, and the entire post just seems amateurish.

Well the "the" really isn't a reason for suspicion. People on the show, including Barker himself, routinely referred to the show without that "the" over the years.
The grammar in that post is a bigger red flag. But I'm also wondering how you can automate sound effects, unless they're planning to try to edit them all in during post-production. The obvious problem with this is that there are games like One-Away in which the sound effects MUST be done DURING the taping and are part of the game play.

Beyond that, in terms of "producer greed," if this person is a CBS staffer already, how much money can she be making (and taking away from the producer's budget)? If she's a CBS employee, her salary is likely covered by the network, not the show.

Given the things she says in that post, the "problem" could be her attitude, not her salary. And if she's going to say that the show "used to be fun to work on but not anymore," then why would she want that job back as long as she's still staying employed?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 07:31:42 AM by CBSpromoman »
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 07:44:09 AM »

Seeing as how her grammar is uniform throughout her account and she has posted stuff ordinary people wouldn't know about in the past, I would say "yes".
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 03:45:26 PM »
I thought in the golden gallery, I saw a picture of a taping where there is someone standing outside the sound booth and with games like one away, the person would give up a thumbs up for the honk and a thumbs down for no honk. Or I figured they had a headset and hear from the producer that the contestant has x numbers right. 

Offline ImLost

• Outside in Line
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 03:45:40 PM »
Very sad to hear that the almighty Hope is leaving The Price is Right.
My condolences. Hopefully someone might be able to share this photo on her Facebook page.

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 10:25:31 PM »
Well, she posted something about e-mailing her "story" to the Huffington Post... is there something more here? Are we going to hear about another discrimination lawsuit out of the Bob Barker Studio???
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline Season36Fan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 10:38:31 PM »
This is something that could have easily been done any time during the PC era (and was, on Aussie Price even in the 80s).   There is no surprise in that the modernization of many games has led to everything being done on computer.    Since there has to be a person there feeding the computer info on contestant responses and host cues for most of the games, it's just as easy to feed the computer info on all the games and let the software trigger both props and sound effects.   It's not a complex thing.

Employees whose jobs are eliminated by technology are often bitter at the employer... so the reaction is understandable. 

This should have absolutely zero effect on production, as any mistaken sound effects cues are now surely either edited out or in, as needed. 

I wonder, however, if contestants will continue to appeal to the Almighty Sound Effects Lady, or if Drew will have them appeal to the Almighty Sound Effects Computer.   I also wonder if he'll make such a fuss about it that we see One Away make a quiet departure, simply to save face. 
Let's all take a deep breath.
Wise words.

Offline price_authority

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 12:12:48 AM »
That would be Hope Vinitsky. The last time I saw Hope she was doing audience sweetening. Maybe they decided they don't need audience sweetening any more? They do need live sound effects for the games.
Before you call your lawyer to sue me, know that everything contained in this post and in all of my posts past, present and future is entirely MY PERSONAL OPINION.