Author Topic: First Look at Do the Math  (Read 12142 times)

Offline The_Great_Butler

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: First Look at Do the Math
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2013, 11:11:33 PM »
Hmm, not bad for a quickie game. It's a decent spin on the one-or-the-other concept.

I don't really care for the set being mostly just a video screen, but I guess that's just a thing of the times.
I'll put this in here, but I didn't want it to overshadow the more interesting topic of specials. Earlier in the show Mike and Beth talked about Jenny McCarthy's appointment to The View and it leads to Mike talking about her appearance on Price. Mike says that he and the staff mulled over whether or not to have her on the show because of the controversy that follows her. They ultimately decided to have her because she's "a great advocate for what she believes in." Now, Mike didn't specify exactly what he meant by "what she believes in" and what "belief" of her's that he's addressing, but that could certainly be taken the wrong way.

Offline nowhammies11

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The blood of angry men, the dark of ages past
    • The Whammy's Blog
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2013, 11:54:53 PM »
The Hola Unblocker plugin for Firefox and Chrome will allow you to bypass any geoblocking, including but not limited to: BBC iPlayer, CBS.com, Hulu.  From anywhere in the world.

I almost had the format down.  My thought was, to paraphrase another user, "an elaborate version of Switch?".  I hope that it really works out!  Can't wait for Monday!
YOU CAN NEVER STOP :clipboard:

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2013, 12:09:38 AM »
I must say, I like this game! Very easy to understand, yet may not always be a "gimme" (depending on how "sexed-up" the prizes used in a given playing are).

One thing I got to thinking about... if this game had been around in the Barker era, how would you envision the set looking for it? I could see an eggcrate display for the cash amount, and concealed price tags to be uncovered for the price reveals (a la Double Prices or 1 Right Price)

Offline The_Great_Butler

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2013, 04:22:36 AM »
One thing I got to thinking about... if this game had been around in the Barker era, how would you envision the set looking for it? I could see an eggcrate display for the cash amount, and concealed price tags to be uncovered for the price reveals (a la Double Prices or 1 Right Price)

Depends. It could have worked even as far back as the 70s by simply having a concealed price tag on each side of a modestly-sized prop as you describe it. The plus and minus sign would have been small cards (like the markers in Barker's Markers/Make Your Mark) and the contestant would manually place their selected sign between the first price tag and the eggcrate.

I really like this game the more I think about it. It's charming in its simplicity.
I'll put this in here, but I didn't want it to overshadow the more interesting topic of specials. Earlier in the show Mike and Beth talked about Jenny McCarthy's appointment to The View and it leads to Mike talking about her appearance on Price. Mike says that he and the staff mulled over whether or not to have her on the show because of the controversy that follows her. They ultimately decided to have her because she's "a great advocate for what she believes in." Now, Mike didn't specify exactly what he meant by "what she believes in" and what "belief" of her's that he's addressing, but that could certainly be taken the wrong way.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2013, 04:54:13 AM »
I don't really care for the set being mostly just a video screen, but I guess that's just a thing of the times.

That disappoints me, too.  With Double Cross, they integrated a screen cleverly into a larger prop, which I liked.  I guess having an unadorned flat screen is reasonable when you're just trying to represent a chalkboard, but I hope it doesn't set a precedent.

Offline SilverFirePrime

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Can this be ressurected next?
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2013, 10:05:33 AM »
That disappoints me, too.  With Double Cross, they integrated a screen cleverly into a larger prop, which I liked.  I guess having an unadorned flat screen is reasonable when you're just trying to represent a chalkboard, but I hope it doesn't set a precedent.

I wouldn't mind a big video screen like that becoming a precedent.  You have games played on the turntable, you have games played behind door 2, why not a few games that are played on a giant LCD screen that's rolled out on to the stage?  The only key is moderation. 

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2013, 11:31:22 AM »
I wouldn't mind a big video screen like that becoming a precedent.  You have games played on the turntable, you have games played behind door 2, why not a few games that are played on a giant LCD screen that's rolled out on to the stage?  The only key is moderation.

I'm okay with a few LCD screens being used, but I certainly don't want to see existing games get the giant LCD treatment. If an eggcrate display breaks down, then I can understand switching it out with the newer technology, but I don't want to see simple props like Clock Game be converted to a giant LCD display. I also don't want all of the new games going forward to rely on them, either. As been stated before, the various mechanisms that control many of the older games are what make them so fun to watch. You just don't get that same effect with LCD displays.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2013, 01:57:30 PM »

Absolutely not. The charm of the pricing games is their intricate and individual "carnival-like" designs. It's what makes each game completely unique to the next and what gives each game its own personality.

The minute you start playing multiple games on a big TV screen is the minute that those games become virtually indistinguishable, and all the charm therein is lost.

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2013, 04:05:39 PM »
The minute you start playing multiple games on a big TV screen is the minute that those games become virtually indistinguishable, and all the charm therein is lost.

Except they've kept the games distinguishable. Double Cross is nothing but a giant TV screen. Do the Math is nothing but a giant TV screen. Hell, they could potentially be the same screen, just a different face slapped on the front depending on what's going to be played that afternoon.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline The_Great_Butler

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2013, 05:50:34 PM »
Except they've kept the games distinguishable. Double Cross is nothing but a giant TV screen. Do the Math is nothing but a giant TV screen. Hell, they could potentially be the same screen, just a different face slapped on the front depending on what's going to be played that afternoon.

Double Cross actually has something to it beyond the screen, though. Do the Math, unless there's something I can't see, is pretty much just the screen.

I mean, I doubt many people are going to argue Temptation, Bonus Game and Any Number are 'nothing but a giant TV screen' now. Do the Math doesn't have any real prop, just a screen that fills all the purposes of one, not terribly unlike Clock Game on Doug Davidson's versions.

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2013, 07:01:27 PM »

And I said nothing to the contrary. I was responding to SilverFirePrime's suggestion that one big monitor be rolled out on occasion to play many games.

They did a wonderful job incorporating a monitor into Double Cross without the game being a big rectangle. I hope they continue that practice with games to come.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 07:04:08 PM by CJBojangles »

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2013, 05:34:02 AM »
Is it at all rude to think it's Most Expensive with two prizes?  I happen to like it.  Very simple/easy to explain and play.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2013, 07:22:37 AM »
Nope, not rude.  That's exactly what it is.