Author Topic: Cover Up with a Shot of Expresso  (Read 5758 times)

Offline priceguy

• Double Showcase Winner
Cover Up with a Shot of Expresso
« on: September 09, 2013, 09:04:40 PM »
Why are they using Periodic Table elements in this game?!  It doesn't affect gameplay at all.  But it is....strange.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Cover Up with a Shot of Expresso
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 09:30:53 PM »
Why are they using Periodic Table elements in this game?!  It doesn't affect gameplay at all.  But it is....strange.

They've been doing that since the tail end of last season when Drew commented that the "fake numbers" had no point and the staff actually got rid of them. By doing that, though, the difficulty became much more manipulative.

Offline bonusguy810

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 12:31:43 AM »
I hate what they've done to that game. The game was fine, as it was. The concept was good, with covering up the wrong numbers with the right ones. But now, with symbols in place, it doesn't make sense anymore. Plus, the wrong numbers, IMO, helped out in the game, in case a number a contestant was originally thinking about placing a number in the car, but turned out to be one of the numbers in the wrong price. so they would have to think of something else. Now, I think it gives them a disadvantage of winning because of that. This shows you that the crew should never take anything Drew says seriously, or that Drew should just keep his big yap shut, and just host the game, instead of expressing his own opinions on the game.
If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Offline Swingbatta0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Woefully underplayed.
    • Nick's Table of Trades
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 11:16:03 AM »
I don't think it gives them any disadvantage whatsoever. The difficulty of Cover-Up is still the same as it used to be. The initial wrong numbers didn't give any hints whatsoever, so replacing them with gag symbols/pictures is an okay gesture.
If interested in trading, consult Nick's Table of Trades:

http://tableoftrades.weebly.com/index.html

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 12:40:14 PM »
Plus, the wrong numbers, IMO, helped out in the game, in case a number a contestant was originally thinking about placing a number in the car, but turned out to be one of the numbers in the wrong price. so they would have to think of something else.

A contestant who wanted to place a number in the price that wasn't one of the choices is a moron who doesn't deserve to win the car.

There are good reasons to dislike the removal of the wrong price.  This is not one of them.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
  • ^ Top Notch Production Values ^
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 02:55:57 PM »
The point of Cover Up, as Bob very well explained, was to cover up the wrong numbers with the correct numbers. Hence why there was always the fake price to start.

I think the biggest thing people don't get is that even the most pointless things often have a point.

Offline bonusguy810

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 03:08:04 PM »
You have your reasons, and I have my reasons. But, that doesn't matter right now, as the point I'm trying to make is that the crew should've left the game well alone, instead of listening to what Drew says. This is another reason why my motto is "If it's not broke. don't fix it".

Offline tpirman1982

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • My TPIR Fanpage
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 04:16:36 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, I kinda miss when the game starts with a false price.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 06:32:44 PM »
the point I'm trying to make is that the crew should've left the game well alone, instead of listening to what Drew says. This is another reason why my motto is "If it's not broke. don't fix it".
3 Strikes and Barker's Markers would like a word with you.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline bonusguy810

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 08:54:32 PM »
3 Strikes and Barker's Markers would like a word with you.

Yeah, what about?

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 12:41:28 AM »
About the staff changing things because of what Drew said. 3 Strikes had its rules changed several times in Season 37 when Drew complained on-air that the game was tedious (before being removed from the rotation entirely for over a year), while Barker's Markers/Make Your Mark had its rules changed on its final playing because Drew screwed them up and the staff feared to correct him...which is also why it was retired right after that taping.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline bonusguy810

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 12:50:36 AM »
About the staff changing things because of what Drew said. 3 Strikes had its rules changed several times in Season 37 when Drew complained on-air that the game was tedious (before being removed from the rotation entirely for over a year), while Barker's Markers/Make Your Mark had its rules changed on its final playing because Drew screwed them up and the staff feared to correct him...which is also why it was retired right after that taping.

Those were different from this.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 01:45:33 AM »
Those were different from this.
How so? You stated that

the point I'm trying to make is that the crew should've left [Cover Up] well alone, instead of listening to what Drew says. This is another reason why my motto is "If it's not broke. don't fix it".
Are the examples I gave, both results of the crew listening to what Drew said and fixing things that were not broken, different because they were more than simply cosmetic changes?

Offline bonusguy810

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 02:48:09 AM »
How so? You stated that
Are the examples I gave, both results of the crew listening to what Drew said and fixing things that were not broken, different because they were more than simply cosmetic changes?

" 3 Strikes" was already using the "3 Strikes in the Bag Rule" when Bob was hosting. If they wanted to go back to those rules, that's fine. "Cover-Up" was changed for the wrong reasons. It's concept of covering up the wrong numbers with the right numbers with good. But now with symbols, it's entirely pointless.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 05:28:59 AM »
"3 Strikes" was already using the "3 Strikes in the Bag Rule" when Bob was hosting.
It did...and then Roger got rid of that rule in 1998 to make the game slightly easier.

If they wanted to go back to those rules, that's fine.
Be that as it may, after Drew complained that the game was tedious they readded the other strike chips and gave the first number for free...then removed the other chips...then removed the game from the rotation entirely until returning with the current rules. All of these changes were made in an attempt to have the game take less time. If that means a greater likelihood of the contestant losing, so be it.

For the record, I respect your opinion and agree that Cover Up was changed for the wrong reasons. Had it been the one time, to surprise Drew, that would have been fine.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 05:40:35 AM by GuyWithFace »