Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 9/27/2013 (Plinko 30th Anniversary Special)  (Read 24400 times)

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
TPiR Recap - 9/27/2013 (Plinko 30th Anniversary Special)
« on: September 27, 2013, 01:42:03 PM »
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 05:34:25 PM by Roadgeek Adam »
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline GSB92

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: TPiR Recap - 9/27/2013 (Plinko 30th Anniversary Special)
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 01:43:41 PM »
Well, it was a good concept but the outcomes (with the exception of the third playing) were poor.

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 01:48:31 PM »
This episode was disappointing. TPIR's Twitter calls it a "great episode." Either I missed something or they did.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline TinoStar11

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 01:49:24 PM »
All this Plinko and you think they show any classic clips or have Showcases center around it and they do neither. We were so close to having more money won on the Big Wheel than all the Plinko games combined.

Offline Banana

• Outside in Line
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 01:50:45 PM »
I liked the concept, but to me this episode was disappointing. Mainly due to the outcomes of most playings. Oh well, it was worth a try. Lady luck just wasn't having it today. Happy 30th anniversary Plinko!

Offline FieldsFan336

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Pika!
    • Behind the Microphone: The Rich Fields Fan Site
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 01:51:26 PM »
I myself was hoping that one of the SCs would be Plinko themed, but instead we get a couple of 2-prizers
Rich Fields' #1 Fan for Life / 2011 CSS playoffs bronze medalist / Blitz Club (sole survivor of the Survivor special) / First QSW 5/9/23

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 01:56:56 PM »
Jeez. I guess this was worth a shot, but what an incredible dud of a show it was. Only a couple of the smaller prizes won, the middle slot only hit once in six playings, and an abundance of zeroes. The Plinko gods were unhappy with this idea.

Also a little disappointed they didn't vary up the SP games a bit. It's a prime example of why the show never plays a game more than once in a show - that SP portion got so painfully repetitive after a couple of playings. I'd have liked to see them try some others... true/false, higher/lower... but I guess if they wanted to be true to Plinko they just couldn't do any of those things.

And yes, not even so much as a clip. So many fun playings through the years, and you won't see any of the ones today showing up in highlight reels anytime soon.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 02:03:01 PM »
Well, today was interesting, and I believe lessons were learned...like never play a game six times in a row.

All this Plinko and you think they show any classic clips or have Showcases center around it and they do neither.

Due to time constraints, I'm amazed they were even able to fit six playings of Plinko into the show. Classic clips would have been a nice touch, but unless CBS had allotted them more time for this show, it was impossible to do.

I myself was hoping that one of the SCs would be Plinko themed, but instead we get a couple of 2-prizers

Again, time was probably a major factor for that, although they could have at least offered more expensive prizes to make up for it. I guess Mike had planned on blowing the budget on Plinko, but obviously that backfired completely.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 02:20:41 PM »
Plinko X6?! I guess Mike hasn't heard of the phrase "Always in moderation".

As much as I love the game, this was outright excessive, and the winnings were minimal at best. The highlight, practically, was the 3rd playing with $10K and a ATV. And the setups for the SPs, in general, were pretty horrible........Especially for the 2nd playing

I won't bother with BAD NEWS/GOOD NEWS instead:

BOTTOM LINE: TPIR tweeted, "a great episode". Oh, the irony. This sucked just as worse as Monday and Tuesday's shows. If they wanted to celebrate Plinko's 30th anniversary, surely this wasn't the way to do it.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 02:27:16 PM by PriceBusterXL »

Offline Swingbatta0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Woefully underplayed.
    • Nick's Table of Trades
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 02:26:36 PM »
Well, TPIR's tweet is right. It actually IS a great episode. Good way to celebrate the 30th anniversary of my favorite of all Pricing Games.

The only thing I didn't like about this episode was the fact that lady luck just wasn't on the contestants' side today. That's all.

Plus, at least one chip hit the center slot.

8/10.
If interested in trading, consult Nick's Table of Trades:

http://tableoftrades.weebly.com/index.html

Offline sravenes

• In the Audience
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 02:28:42 PM »
those plinko playings is the reasons why I don't really like plinko as much anymore

Offline DJTorgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 02:48:16 PM »
8/10.

How do numeric rankings even work with a game show?  8/10 on a production level?  Enjoyment?  Seems arbitrary to me.

---

I absolutely adored the toss to George to kick off the first game.  Watching him introduce Plinko was awesome, and I wish the show would do this more.

Well, we learned how they solved the time crunch:  bland two-prize showcases, some nasty SP setups, and I don't feel like I know anything about the contestants.  When the star of the show is Plinko, and the show cares more about it than the contestants, then it's hard for me to feel emotional attachment to the outcome of the contestant.  Usually I want to see a contestant win (or fail miserably if I don't like him/her ... don't tell me you haven't felt that before ...), but I was indifferent.

I also don't like the prizes they chose.  Car in the center?  I could live with that as part of a one-off special.  Random prizes in the $1,000 wedges?  A trip worth barely over $10,000 replacing $10,000 cash?  That's just silly.

I'll give the editors credit: it didn't feel too rushed, so good job with that daunting task.  But I would say this special was a miss.

I give this episode six cantaloupes of a scale from one kangaroo to ten Michelle Pfeiffers.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline Swingbatta0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Woefully underplayed.
    • Nick's Table of Trades
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2013, 02:51:35 PM »
How do numeric rankings even work with a game show?  8/10 on a production level?  Enjoyment?  Seems arbitrary to me.
It's just how I rank the episode.
If interested in trading, consult Nick's Table of Trades:

http://tableoftrades.weebly.com/index.html

Offline Kyle

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2013, 03:02:35 PM »
So, is it safe to say that no one will be disappointed if we don't see Plinko played for about a month?

I sort of figured this would happen. As historical of an occasion as it is, being the first time a pricing game is played six times during the show, it's painfully obvious why part of the success of The Price is Right over the past 42 years can be attributed to the varied game play from show to show. Both Roger and Bob are on the record as saying that if you don't like something that's happening on The Price is Right, something different is happening a couple of minutes later. Not the case here. This episode is a classic example of how too much of a good thing can be detrimental. By the third playing, I was pretty sick of the small prize pricing portion of it and the minimal money and prize wins in the subsequent playings didn't help matters. Making things worse, due to the nature of the game and the time constraints, there was practically no contestant interaction today, aside from Erik's antics in Contestants' Row and his subsequent picking up of Drew. Drew ragging on Side By Side, Double Prices and Coming or Going (truthful or not) probably wasn't a good idea, either.

I also disagree with the approach to the six Plinko playings, as well. There was no need for the game to have it's big reveal six times when everyone knew that it was Plinko that was about to be played. You could tell the audience's enthusiasm was dwindling by the third or fourth reveal/introduction. Had I been directing this show, I would have done the big reveal for Plinko during the first act and then just keep the game out on stage in full view of the audience for the rest of the show, transitioning to a tight shot on the Plinko logo as the contestants came up stage, Golden Road-style, followed by Drew pitching it to George to reveal the bonus prizes like the cars and so on. Could have saved the show some time rather than do the long-drawn out introduction over and over again.

So, overall, you have to give it to the current administration for doing a show that will easily be remembered as one of the most historical episodes in Price is Right history, but, the show itself turned out to be better in theory than it was in production.

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2013, 03:06:09 PM »
I also don't like the prizes they chose.  Car in the center?  I could live with that as part of a one-off special.  Random prizes in the $1,000 wedges?  A trip worth barely over $10,000 replacing $10,000 cash?  That's just silly.
If they are replacing the $10,000 cash slot then I'd say a trip around that same amount (which it was) is the way to go.  In fact, the way to go (if they plan on replacing cash) is replacing the cash amount with a prize with at least that amount, which is what they did.

It's just how I rank the episode.
I think people want to know your criteria for ranking the episode; they understand it's your rank.