Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 10/8/2013 (2013 PCH Week Day 2)  (Read 20144 times)

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
TPiR Recap - 10/8/2013 (2013 PCH Week Day 2)
« on: October 08, 2013, 12:38:25 PM »
G-R Recap Test
Episode #6462K (2013 Publishers Clearing House Week Day II)
Aired – 10/8/2013; Taped – 8/19/2013
Models: Melissa Rycroft, Rachel Reynolds
Microphone Handoff: Melissa
First Four Contestant Seating: Mixed

First IUFB: Laptop Computer (14in PC with 500GB HD, 4GB RAM and Marc by Marc Jacobs bag); ARP: $748 (Rachel)

SHANT MICHELLE UNA CARLOS
600 601 450 550

The winner is...
MICHELLE

Michelle is playing Spelling Bee for a 2013 Hyundai Elantra Coupe GS (1.8L engine, power windows, mudguards, Bluetooth) (Melissa).

Free picks:
1) Pub Trivia Board Game (University Games) (Melissa)
Guess: $25
Diff: $5
2) 16oz Tumbler
Guess: $20
Diff: $0
3) Quesadilla Maker
Guess: N/A
Diff: N/A
$$
$$
$$
$$
$$
$$
$$
$$
$$
A
$$
$$
$$
C
A
$$
$$
C
A
$$
C
A
C
A

LOSS (Total Winnings: $90)

Second IUFB: Designer Shoes (Platform sandals, flats, pumps); ARP: $1,125 (Overhead)

SHANT KRISTEN UNA CARLOS
601 450 600 1200

The winner is...
SHANT

Shant is playing SWITCH? for an off-road vehicle (Honda: TRX-90X: 4-speed SAT, 86cc air-cooled engine) (Rachel) and a new television (54in 3D plasma HDTV with voice navigation, face recognition, 2 pairs of glasses) (Melissa).

These prices are either correct or need to be switched:

OFF-ROAD VEHICLE
$2999
SWITCH?
TELEVISION
$3950
SWITCH?

Shant chooses to switch...

OFF-ROAD VEHICLE
$3950
$2999
TELEVISION
$2999
$3950

LOSS

Third IUFB: Designer Luggage (Ricardo: 3-piece collection); ARP: $1,060 (Melissa and Rachel)

VERNON KRISTEN UNA CARLOS
750 900 1100 1101

The winner is...
KRISTEN

Kristen is playing Flip Flop for a trip to Sweden (RT Coach to Stockholm, SW for a 6n stay at a waterfront hotel + daily breakfast and visit to the royal palace during guided tour of Stockholm) (Melissa)

68 79

Kristen FLIPS to

86 79

ARP be...

86 97

LOSS

SCSD #1

Contestant Winnings Spin 1 Spin 2 TOTAL RESULT
Michelle $838 95 STAY .95 *SHOWCASE*
Kristen $1,060 50 70 1.20
OVER
Shant $1,125 35 15 .45

Fourth IUFB: Cutlery (Hammer Stahl Cutlery: 21-piece set); ARP: $1,344 (Melissa and Rachel)

VERNON SEKILL UNA CARLOS
801 500 600 800

The winner is...
VERNON

Vernon is playing Double Prices for new home appliances (30in gas range, 25.1cuft fridge, 24in built-in dishwasher, washer and dryer) (Rachel).

$5295
Double Prices
$4151

$5295
ARP: $5295
WIN!
$20,000!!

Fifth IUFB: INdoor Bike (Chain driven 48in flywheel); ARP: $799 (Melissa)

ELEANOR SEKILL UNA CARLOS
799 900 1000 650

The winner is...
ELEANOR
CLANGERS! $500!!

Eleanor, now $500 richer, is playing Grand Game for a chance to win up to $10,000!

The target price is...

$9.00

Eleanor starts out at $1.00:

$1.00

The items are:

• Capsazin No-Mess Applicator
  • Allegra-D Allergy Relief Tablets
  • Selsun Blue Shampoo
  • Libman Freedom Concentrated Cleaners
  • Sleepytime Extra Tea Bags
  • Cortizone-10 Skin Cream

Pick 1: Cleaner

$6.99
$10.00

Pick 2: Shampoo

$7.99
$100.00

Pick 3: Tea Bags

$4.49
$1,000.00

Pick 4: Skin Cream

$9.75
LOSS

The Allegra was $16.05 and the Capsazin was $8.49

Well, second time this week the limo has appeared. However, this time, someone is guaranteed a trip to somewhere. Una and Carlos have been in Contestant's Row the entire show and need to get out. However only can. One will go on stage i they win, or both will go to Byhalia, Ohio.

Sixth IUFB: Designer Jewelry (Story by Kranz and Ziegler: Necklace and earrings); ARP: $1,380 (Rachel)

HANNAH SEKILL UNA CARLOS
500 1200 1300 501

The winner is...
UNA

Carlos heads off to Byhalia, while Una is playing One Away for a 2014 Chevrolet Spark LS (1.2L engine, tire pressure monitoring system, paint/fabric) (Melissa).

Oh, mighty sound effects lady!!! Does he have...

One right? HONK!

Two right? HONK!

Three right? HONK!

Four right? EPIC SILENCE!

LOSS

SCSD #2

Contestant Winnings Spin 1 Spin 2 TOTAL RESULT
Eleanor $1,299 75 STAY .75 *SHOWCASE*
Una $1,380 65 5 .70
Vernon $26,639 35 35 .70

THE FABULOUS SHOWCASES

Eleanor has the honors...

SC1 - Michelle

JUMPING ISLAND TO ISLAND
  • Trip to Hermosa Beach (RT Limo to Hermosa Beach CA for 3n stay in ocean view room at Beach House Hotel + daily bike rental) (Rachel)
  • Trip to Costa Rica (RT Coach to Liberia, CR for a 6n stay in garden room at luxury beachfront property + scubadiving (Rachel)
  • 2013 West Wight Potter (15' Premium Package: Boarding Ladder, Handrails, Trailer) (Melissa)
Bid: $16,000

SC2 - Eleanor

LEMONADE MAKING
  • Backyard (Outdoor furniture, 2 chairs, ottoman, etc - lemonade maker) (Rachel)
  • Trip to France (RT Coach to Niece, Fr for 6n stay in king room at seaside hotel + daily breakfast) (Rachel)
  • 2013 Fiat 500 Pop Hatchback (1.4L engine, 5-speed MT, electronic stability control, remote keyless entry) (Melissa)
Bid: $31,000
Michelle
$16,000
TRIPS/SAILBOAT
$23,878
$7,878
TRIPS/SAILBOAT
*WIN*
$24,716
Eleanor
$31,000
FRANCE/FIAT
$28,460
FRANCE/FIAT

Results: 1 out of 6
Winnings: $56,219
Biggest Winner: Vernon ($26,639)

This Recap is solely intended for the purpose of Golden-Road.net.
Reproduction of this without authorized consent is prohibited.

Recap produced by Roadgeek Adam
Templates by Visualbasicwizard and WhammyPower788
CSS work provided by cu2010.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 12:44:30 PM by Roadgeek Adam »
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
Re: TPiR Recap - 10/8/2013 (2013 PCH Week Day 2)
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 12:45:10 PM »
An unremarkable show, but Una was a fun contestant.

I hope the $20,000 bonus is won in the first game the rest of the week, so we don't have to listen to Drew repeat it ad nauseum.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 01:04:39 PM »
No GOOD NEWS/BAD NEWS.........Then again, DP made this the 2nd time this week that a 4th game gave away $20K.

THE BOTTOM LINE:

Pretty much forgettable, and the audience really screwed a good majority of the contestants on winning something............A pox on them! JK

Plus, Melissa's reaction on OA was a tad premature. Next time she becomes that enthusiastic, she should wait until the contestant wins the game, and not when someone gets the 3rd number. It was a bit of a waste on her part. Even though this is her only week, she needs to be a little more professional than that.

And I guess this makes it Car loser/Boat winner #2 for this season.................
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 01:14:27 PM by PriceBusterXL »

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 01:05:17 PM »
If Mike's goal was to save as much money in the budget as possible by relying solely on that free $20,000 from PCH, then he certainly accomplished that today.

They need to burn that Chevy Spark. This isn't 1997 anymore, when sub-$15,000 cars are the norm. Heck, I'm surprised they were actually able to find that thing.

3 quickies in a row, followed by Grand? At least $20,000 was won (although it didn't hurt the budget in any way).

A 1/6 day with cheap prize offerings, and Mike couldn't at least put the budget in the showcases... Definitely a show worth forgetting.

And I really hope that $20,000 gets won in the first half the rest of the week. :pint:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 01:09:14 PM by PayingTheRent »
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 01:13:39 PM »
Grand Game wasn't very nice. They pretty much set it up for a three way toss-up between medicinal products. The contestant played it the way they had probably intended and that was just hard. Upside? Five out of the six products were sponsored.

Thank goodness Double Prices was won. It wasn't even that easy of a setup in my eyes, but if it wasn't won, the $20,000 was definitely going to roll over to the next show.

I feel sorry for the show. Once again, while some of the games in the first half weren't setup for a slam dunk, they were certainly winnable. Things just aren't going the show's way. Bee was just tough luck.

I can only hope these shows get better.

They need to burn that Chevy Spark. This isn't 1997 anymore, when sub-$15,000 cars are the norm. Heck, I'm surprised they were actually able to find that thing.
Are you kidding? The Spark used to be front and center last season and it was cheaper than it was today. $13,920 is what it cost last season, and it was even cheaper than that (into $12K territory) on Let's Make a Deal. There was a point a few years ago that one of Nissan's bottom of the basement lines dipped under $10K, but the show never offered it. I agree that Price should move on from sub-$15K, but those cars under that amount are still alive and well.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 01:23:38 PM by thepriceis_J »
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline DJTorgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 01:21:27 PM »

Cheaper cars are more commonplace in recent years, and the Spark isn't the sole offender.  Dodge brought back the Dart to compete in the sub-$20k tier.  The SmartCar even existing is meant to provide a more economic option.  Fiats tend to be in the $17,000 range.

And it's not even like they're bad cars.  Sure, the price tag is low, but merely commenting on how much something costs plays into the hands of the current regime who thinks that a high sticker price matters more than somebody simply winning.

"I'm surprised they were actually able to find that thing"?  We had a ton of them last season.  Hyperbole is bad.

---

I'm torn.  Do I think there's an effort to push the $20,000 bonus as far as possible so people watch all of the first half?  Maybe.  That being said, Spelling Bee was just bad luck, Switch? wasn't impossible, and Flip Flop did not have the meanest setup.

Snarky comment directed towards another member removed. We've been over this. :)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 04:37:17 PM by cu2010 »
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline MannyCav

• Walking the Golden Road
  • My forum signature vanished. PM if you have info.
    • Buy Video Games for Consoles and PC - From Japan, Korea and other Regions>—This is my Play-Asia affiliate link for video game shopping.
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 01:36:58 PM »
Jersey Strong actually spelled the word completely in Spelling Bee, the show just wanted the California spelling instead of the Jersey spelling. :-D

(sorry, I just couldn't help myself)

I'm beginning to see an unfortunate pattern with these PCH shows that's a little related to the crew's planning with Big Money week. PCH is one among many new gimmicks to, if even temporarily, increase raitings. They want people to stay interested from the beginning well into the second half of the show, increasing raitings there. So what you end up with is hard first halves of shows that keep winners restricted to the second half so people tuning in just for PCH keep watching longer. Granted, though, Spelling Bee itself wasn't set up so hard with the small prizes, but thus far, that seems to be the way this week is rolling. If PCH and other such things is something that's staying for the long run, can we at least have them not interfeer with other game setups, or have a differently styled gimmick that doesn't invite this kind of alteration?

Drew ironically telling viewers at the end of the show to tell their friends to tune in at the beginning of the show so they can see the PCH win is just the cherry at the top.
b]*This signature has been removed by an anonymous admin without sending me a full copy of the signature, pointing out what was in rules violation, or an explanation or message to me of any kind. Answers to this mystery would be appreciated. Feel free to PM me.*[/b]

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 01:39:28 PM »
Cheaper cars are more commonplace in recent years, and the Spark isn't the sole offender.  Dodge brought back the Dart to compete in the sub-$20k tier.  The SmartCar even existing is meant to provide a more economic option.  Fiats tend to be in the $17,000 range.

"I'm surprised they were actually able to find that thing"?  We had a ton of them last season.  Hyperbole is bad.

I know cheaper cars have certainly become more attractive in recent years, and I didn't mean this in any sort of negative way towards that trend. It was just a point I was trying to make about how cheap this show was overall. If Mike wants cheaper offerings, that's fine (a Chevy Spark every now and then isn't a terrible thing), but when the entire show is filled with cheap prizes (aside from the free $20,000), it feels cheap...especially when games like Grand are setup for a loss. If Mike wasn't planning on that being won, then he could have offered something a little better than a Spark, or at least have put more effort into the showcases. The total winnings for today that actually counted towards the budget was just $36,219. That's pretty low, even for a 1/6 day.

Saying burn the Chevy Spark was a little over the line in the context I was going for, I'll admit.

And it's not even like they're bad cars.  Sure, the price tag is low, but merely commenting on how much something costs plays into the hands of the current regime who thinks that a high sticker price matters more than somebody simply winning.

Again, you're right. They aren't bad cars, and I'll agree that it shouldn't matter what the price is...what matters is the contestant winning. But when certain games are setup for losses, and the rest have cheaper offerings, why even have a budget? Today just came off to me as Mike trying to save money by relying on the free $20,000 from PCH. Maybe I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 04:35:51 PM by cu2010 »
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 01:56:42 PM »
An unremarkable show, but Una was a fun contestant.

I hope the $20,000 bonus is won in the first game the rest of the week, so we don't have to listen to Drew repeat it ad nauseum.
Either way, it would make one helluva drinking game.  :pint:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 02:00:37 PM by PriceBusterXL »

Offline Swingbatta0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Woefully underplayed.
    • Nick's Table of Trades
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 02:18:45 PM »
And I guess this makes it Car loser/Boat winner #2 for this season.................
Which means absolutely nothing. She still made up for not winning her car by winning a more expensive Showcase. She didn't win a boat because she didn't win a car. She won a boat and two trips because her opponent overbid.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 02:21:20 PM by Swingbatta0 »
If interested in trading, consult Nick's Table of Trades:

http://tableoftrades.weebly.com/index.html

Offline MannyCav

• Walking the Golden Road
  • My forum signature vanished. PM if you have info.
    • Buy Video Games for Consoles and PC - From Japan, Korea and other Regions>—This is my Play-Asia affiliate link for video game shopping.
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 02:38:05 PM »
Which means absolutely nothing. She still made up for not winning her car by winning a more expensive Showcase.
That depends on who you ask and what their opinion is. Some people certainly like boats, yes, and some people have no use for cars (other than perhaps scalping them for money if possible), but I'm in his (probable) camp of, "I have zero use for a boat, and I'd rather have the car, so I'll just scalp the boat and get what I can, but I wonder what the resale value of such a boat is?" It might not mean much to most of us or casual viewers, but I certainly wouldn't call it an utterly pointless statistic, either.
b]*This signature has been removed by an anonymous admin without sending me a full copy of the signature, pointing out what was in rules violation, or an explanation or message to me of any kind. Answers to this mystery would be appreciated. Feel free to PM me.*[/b]

Offline Bobby McBride

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 02:46:35 PM »
I'm not sure what the jinx is all about in regards to offering the $20K bonus on PGs played on the turntable- is Mike afraid someone from the PCH Prize Patrol will trip up on the new steps & get hurt?

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 03:02:09 PM »
I'm not sure what the jinx is all about in regards to offering the $20K bonus on PGs played on the turntable- is Mike afraid someone from the PCH Prize Patrol will trip up on the new steps & get hurt?
Huh?

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 03:19:00 PM »
That depends on who you ask and what their opinion is. Some people certainly like boats, yes, and some people have no use for cars (other than perhaps scalping them for money if possible), but I'm in his (probable) camp of, "I have zero use for a boat, and I'd rather have the car, so I'll just scalp the boat and get what I can, but I wonder what the resale value of such a boat is?" It might not mean much to most of us or casual viewers, but I certainly wouldn't call it an utterly pointless statistic, either.
Agreed. I think some contestants who don't win a car but end up with a boat really don't want the boat, since he/she might have little or no use for it. However, if someone does end up with a boat and that's what they really need/want for certain activities (i.e., for fishing trips, parties at a lake, etc.), then that's fine.

I'm not, in any way whatsoever, bashing Michelle who won a boat (or any person from previous shows who were in the same predicament); I really can't tell if that's what she wanted. I'd assumed that she would want the car instead, I don't know...........I think it depends on what kind of person he/she is and if they really want that..........It's kinda like when someone shops for peanut butter. Does that person like the creamy kind or the chunky (or crunchy) kind? It all depends.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 03:27:59 PM by PriceBusterXL »

Offline Kyle

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 03:43:38 PM »
I don't think I've ever commented on this, but, today it was so noticeable, I couldn't ignore it; Drew's shoes were pretty ugly looking. He looked like he was wearing work boots the whole show.

That being said, a pretty throw-away affair today. Spelling Bee was played very well, all the prices ended in zero so collecting all three cards shouldn't have been very difficult. Too bad she got saddled with some bad luck, though.

Switch? was pretty tricky. The 3D TV usually is in the $3,500 range, but, $2,999 for an ATV looked a little too low.

Flip Flop was a little mean. The flip part was obvious, but, the flop was a crapshoot.

Can you believe that it's the third week of the season and we're just seeing Double Prices for the first time? That being said, this is probably the worst game to have the PCH $20,000 won on. Congratulations, you made a 50/50 choice correctly, here's $20K.

Grand Game was rotten. Getting to $1,000 was no biggie, but, a total toss-up between the Capsazin, Cortizone and Allegra. Any one of those looked more than $9.00. Had I been playing, I wouldn't have risked it because it was too much of a chance.

Since we know that Hope, "the all mighty sound effects lady", is no longer with show, did anyone else find Drew's comments about how much they respect the sound effects lady during One Away to be in poor taste? Aside from that, I think the lower cost of $14K would have thrown most contestants.