Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 10/15/2013 (TPiR Season 42 Big Money Week - Day 2)  (Read 21120 times)

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
TPiR Recap - 10/15/2013 (TPiR Season 42 Big Money Week - Day 2)
« on: October 15, 2013, 12:40:35 PM »
G-R Recap Test
Episode #6425K (TPiR Season 42 Big Money Week - Day II)
Aired – 10/15/2013; Taped – 8/28/2013
Models: Carrie Kegan, Rachel Reynolds
Microphone Handoff: Rachel
First Four Contestant Seating: Left to Right

First IUFB: Countertop Appliances (Aroma: 8-piece collection); ARP: $540 (Carrie)

PAULETTE RICHARD JENNIFER NATHAN
840 400 560 841

The winner is...
RICHARD

Richard is playing Triple Play.

2014 Audi A6 2.0T Quattro (8-speed AT, 2.0L engine, AWD, LED brake lights) (Rachel)

AUDI
$44,875
$49,257
$46,595
YES
$49,257

2013 Range Rover Evoque AWD Pure (AWD, 6-speed AT, 2.0L turbo-charged engine) (Carrie)

RANGE ROVER
$39,450
$40,995
$41,142
$42,140
$39,450
NO
$41,142

LOSS

The third car was a Chevrolet Corvette C6.

Second IUFB: Designer Jewelry (Eddie Borgo: 18ct gold-plated collection with 4 one of a kind pieces); ARP: $1,650 (Overhead)

PAULETTE DOREEN JENNIFER NATHAN
890 1200 1100 1300

The winner is...
NATHAN

Nathan is playing Coming or Going for a pair of motorscooters (Piaggio Typhoon 125 with 124cc engine, AT, electric start, 2 helmets) (Rachel).

7 0 2 8 2 0 7
COMING -or- GOING

Nathan sets the price to:

7 0 2 8
COMING -or- GOING

ARP: $7,028. WIN

Third IUFB: Trampoline (JumpSport: 113sqft of playspace); ARP: $1,559 (George)

PAULETTE DOREEN JENNIFER KAREN
600 1800 700 504

The winner is...
JENNIFER

Jennifer is playing Bonus Game for a trip to Jamaica (RT Coach to Montego Bay, JM for 5n luxury included stay at Sandals Luxury Resort and Private Island; ARP: $8,176) (Carrie) .

First prize: Photo Album (Rachel)
Price: $23
Guess: Lower
ARP: $17 (Correct)

Second prize: Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed Board Game
Price: $35
ARP: $23 (Correct)

Third prize: Lohokino Crank Camera with film
Price: $69
Guess: Higher
ARP: $99 (Correct)

Fourth prize: Ice Pop Maker
Price: $40
ARP: $50 (Wrong)

$17
LOWER

$23
LOWER

$99
HIGHER
BONUS!

WIN (Total Winnings: $8,315)

SCSD #1

Contestant Winnings Spin 1 Spin 2 TOTAL RESULT
Richard $540 100 1.00 *$1,000*
Nathan $8,678 15 85 1.00 *$1,000*
Jennifer $9,874 10 25 .35

Bonus...

Contestant Winnings Spin Result
Richard $1,540 15
*$10,000*
Nathan $9,678 90
*SHOWCASE*

Fourth IUFB: Pair of Bicycles (Pure Fix Bicycles: Fixed-gear bikes); ARP: $650 (Carrie)

PAULETTE DOREEN MATTHEW KAREN
700 701 680 525

The winner is...
KAREN

Karen is playing Swap Meet.

Swap a new laptop (Asus: 13.3in multi touch display, 4GB memory, 128GB solid state drive) (Rachel) for one of:

1. Washer and dryer (Carrie)
  2. Designer accessories (Michael Kors: Satchel, sandals, sunglasses)
  3. Beverage center (Danby: French-door side by side fridge) (George)

Karen picks the beverage center.

$1200
$1200
LAPTOP
WASHER/DRYER
ACCESSORIES
BEVERAGECENTER
WIN

$1200
$3098
$2289
$1200
LAPTOP
WASHER/DRYER
ACCESSORIES
BEVERAGECENTER

Fifth IUFB: Karaoke System (VocoPro: Multi-format reciever with 100 discs and $30 streaming card); ARP: $1,365 (Rachel)

PAULETTE DOREEN MATTHEW CHASSIDY
1100 1500 1200 1400

The winner is...
MATTHEW

Matthew is playing Dice Game for a 2014 Scion TC (2.5L engine, 6-speed AT, LuxCare Paint Protection) (Carrie).

1st roll...
Picks: higher

2nd roll...
Picks: higher

3rd roll...
Picks: lower

The actual retail price is...

Quick explanation here. Dice Game pulled a 90s Penny Ante and ended up revealing the 4 prematurely when the 6 was revealed. No technical win because he can still legitimately lose the game.

LOSS

Well, again we have another limo appearance. Fresh off a trip yesterday, Paulette is still in Contestant's Row. She needs to get on stage here, or a trip to Pharisburg, Ohio follows.

Sixth IUFB: Cutlery (wusthof: 12-piece block set); ARP: $962 (Carrie and Rachel)

PAULETTE DOREEN AYESHA CHASSIDY
650 351 350 600

The winner is...
PAULETTE

Paulette is playing Double Cross for a a pair of HDTVs (LG: 55in LED 1080P HDtv with SmartFeatures and HDMI cables with ethernet) (Carrie) and a home gym (Inspire Fitness: M4 Multi-station home gym) (Rachel)

HDTVS

HDTVS

HOME GYM

HOME GYM

Paulette sets the screens to:

HDTVS

HDTVS

HOME GYM

HOME GYM

ARPs: $1,725 and $4,295. LOSS

SCSD #2

Contestant Winnings Spin 1 Spin 2 TOTAL RESULT
Paulette $962 35 85 1.30
OVER
Matthew $1,365 45 50 .95 *SHOWCASE*
Karen $7,787 80 75 1.55
OVER

THE FABULOUS SHOWCASES

Nathan has the honors...

SC1 - Nathan

EAT, SLEEP, WORK
  • Oven (30in stianless steel gas range oven) (Cassie)
  • Trip to South Carolina (RT Coach to Hilton Head, SC for a 6n stay in islandview guestroom at The Westin Hilton Head + in-room spa treatment) (Carrie)
  • 2013 Hyundai Veloster (1.6L 4cyl engine, CVT 6-speed MT, carpeted floor mats) (Rachel)
Bid: $26,000

SC2 - Matthew

HOME, SWEET, HOME
  • Living Room (Flexsteel: 7-piece set with 2 chairs, sofa, ottoman, cocktail table, 2 round tables) (Rachel)
  • Trip to Switzerland (RT Coach to Zurich, SW for 6n stay in luxury hotel + tour of chocolatiers in the Swiss Alps) (Rachel)
  • Sailboat (Catalina: 17' 2" 16.5 yacht with trailer, roomy layout, storage) (Cassie)
Bid: $26,200
Nathan
$26,000
VELOSTER
$25,266
VELOSTER
Matthew
$26,200
SAILBOAT
$27,907
$1,707
SAILBOAT
*WIN*
$29,272

Results: 3 out of 6
Winnings: $69,113
Biggest Winner: Matthew

This Recap is solely intended for the purpose of Golden-Road.net.
Reproduction of this without authorized consent is prohibited.

Recap produced by Roadgeek Adam
Templates by Visualbasicwizard and WhammyPower788
CSS work provided by cu2010.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 07:37:19 PM by Roadgeek Adam »
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
Re: TPiR Recap - 10/15/2013 (TPiR Season 42 Big Money Week - Day 2)
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 12:48:54 PM »
Triple Play was a bit of a letdown, I'd rather see 3X or Golden Road for a high-end car.

Not as spectacular as yesterday by any means, but we did have the bonus spins and Richard's 10K win on the wheel.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline Swingbatta0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Woefully underplayed.
    • Nick's Table of Trades
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 12:51:42 PM »
My two cents:

Triple Play: I was hoping this would be the day Triple Play ended its losing streak, since the Audi and Range Rover looked easy (at least to me). It's too bad it just wasn't meant to be today. But we'll try for a win in this game next time around. On a happier note, at least Richard won $11K on the Big Wheel! (too bad he didn't make it to the Showcase)
Coming or Going: Good win.
Bonus Game: Great to see it back. So close to a perfect game, but at least she won, nonetheless.
Swap Meet: Great win.
Dice Game: LOL at the blooper, revealing the last number prematurely. Heck, he would've gotten it on the nose, anyway. Too bad the 2nd number was the one that cost him. (I knew a Scion like that wasn't any more than $21K, but I don't blame him. It's just the roll of the dice) At least he made up for that loss and won his Showcase.
Double Cross: Tough break.
If interested in trading, consult Nick's Table of Trades:

http://tableoftrades.weebly.com/index.html

Offline TinoStar11

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 12:57:50 PM »
This is the 1st time I can even remember since Triple Play has been play , that the 2nd car is worth Less than the 1st car. The Dice Game glitch seem to happen as soon as he rolled the 6. You can faintly hear a bell saying the number is exactly right. It's look like when it rang the 2nd time , that's how the 4 popped up by accident.

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 01:25:33 PM »
Not as good as yesterday.........

THE BAD NEWS:

Triple Play: I really didn't see that being won..............At least, not with those cars, anyway.

Double Cross:  I can't believe how uber-cheap those TVs were.

Dice Game: Once Matthew said "higher" on the second number,  I already knew it was over...........Guess he must've missed a day on his finance class. That makes him Car loser/Boat winner #3.

THE GOOD NEWS :

Coming Or Going: Easy win by Nathan.

Bonus Game: No perfecto, but good playing by Jennifer.

Swap Meet: Nicely done by Karen.

THE BOTTOM LINE:

A pretty average 1/2 and 1/2 show, along with a little malfunction from Dice, which got a chuckle out of me.

Offline DJTorgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 01:28:09 PM »
Dice Game: Once Matthew said "higher" on the second number,  I already knew it was over...........Guess he must've missed a day on his finance class.
Because finance guys know the prices of every car in the universe.  Asinine assumption.

That makes him Car loser/Boat winner #3.
That makes a useless statistic.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline Swingbatta0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Woefully underplayed.
    • Nick's Table of Trades
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 01:30:04 PM »
That makes him Car loser/Boat winner #3.
Again, makes no difference. He still made up for not winning the car (his Showcase was much more expensive than the Scion)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 01:34:13 PM by Swingbatta0 »
If interested in trading, consult Nick's Table of Trades:

http://tableoftrades.weebly.com/index.html

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 01:55:42 PM »
Triple Play was set up absolutely terribly all around:
1) OK, so the Audi comes up and it's really a tossup. My first thought is "OK, that's fine. They don't want this won, which is understandable, and almost no matter what they do the setups will be at best a tossup to an average contestant."
2) The Range Rover comes up. First off, it's LESS than the first car. I'm not sure if that's technically against the rules, but since I think they've established a very long precedent of that never happening, it should continue. It feels awkward. Second of all, they DID find a way to make it easier - having close differences and then having the highest answer be right. So the first one is a tossup, but the 2nd one is easy? I really don't get it. Put the Rover 1st and make THAT the can't miss. I'm just assuming the Corvette was probably difficult, which is understandable, but this is just a broken way of doing things.

Oh, do we really have to include HELMETS in the price for a pair of motorscooters? Really now.

I did enjoy this lineup, although it's surprising to see Swap twice in 3 weeks. Dice Game was at least handled correctly - those kinds of things happen - but he was doomed anyway.

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 01:56:26 PM »
Because finance guys know the prices of every car in the universe.  Asinine assumption.

Again, makes no difference. He still made up for not winning the car (his Showcase was much more expensive than the Scion)

Sorry..........I won't bring it up again. Just keeping count, is all. And I never said that finance guys should know every price of every car. I apologize if anyone else thought that.

Offline Bobby McBride

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 02:49:11 PM »
I'm sorry, guys- this is Big Money Week, NOT Dream Car Week. If it had, then triple play (or Golden Road) probably would've been won today. At least Richard didn't leave virtually empty-handed thanks to The Big Wheel.

Offline MannyCav

• Walking the Golden Road
  • My forum signature vanished. PM if you have info.
    • Buy Video Games for Consoles and PC - From Japan, Korea and other Regions>—This is my Play-Asia affiliate link for video game shopping.
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 02:56:33 PM »
That wasn't something I was expecting, though I was wondering where the Corvette from the commercial promos was going to show up. I guess I have my answer. Certainly an interesting mix of easy, hard, and everything in-between setups.

Triple Play didn't see all that hard, even though it did have the oddity of the second car being worth more than the first. When I heard A6 and Quattro, I was thinking something more than $49,257, but it was actually between the $44,875 and the $49,257 that I believe most contestants would have guessed. I was rather taken aback by how easy the Range Rover was. Combining the Evoque's Range Rover (and Roadgeek Adam, just so you'll see it, it is Evoque, not Evoke) brand name reputation and the highest fake being.$41,142 made this a surefire deal.  Unfortunately, Richard didn't see it that way, and gave himself a slim $146 range to fit his car price guess in, allowing nothing higher than $41,141. Still, I have to believe here that the show was again giving the contestants another realistic chance at an exciting start.

Now, on the other side, Bonus Game was (in my honest opinion) its usual hard self with unexpectedly inexpensive (or otherwise hard to price) small prizes, and Double Cross was flat out mean. $1,725 for a pair of HDTVs is unusually cheap for the show to begin with, and compounding this is that the matching pair didn't even end in with an even number or a typical doubled price. I also had a good feeling Dice Game was going to be lost as soon as he went higher than two, even when the game itself gave him some help at the end (he rolled the four, anyway). Like I said before, strange combination of setups.

So far, I'm finding this iteration of Big Money Week a little more palatable than the last version, lacking any of the obscene game setups of that version. However, I still stand by my previous opinion of wanting a more balanced distribution of the extra prize money, where instead of lumping it all into one game, sapping out a lot of the intended excitement and suspense whether that one game is lost or won, you're going through the whole show waiting for that next big item up for bids, extra special car, or higher zoot showcase. Something akin to the 80s primetime specials or a MDS without the M.
I'm going to have to reiterate what I said before and state that the provided statistic isn't utterly pointless. Like I said before, while some people can't use cars or have no use for them, the same is true (and likely to a larger extent) with boats. As we've seen before with the obscenely priced trips and other junk the show has put on before, numbers value ≠ actual or usable value to the contestant as a useful prize. That boat could be a huge lead anchor to a potential contestant who very well might would have much rather had a $21,564 Scion he could use than a $27,907 :frbs: he couldn't use or has no idea how to sell or what the resale value is. Again, different strokes for different blokes, and different opinions depending on who you're asking. The statistic isn't without merit, use, or consideration as is being said here. This very place is about discussing shows and what happens in them, and the various bits of different information in them. Some people have different viewpoints, specialized interests, and ways of looking at things, and that's the entire point of discussing shows here, and what makes it so interesting. Now, I know that being on the show isn't all about prizes and some of it is the experience, and so on and so forth, but winning prizes you can use is a longstanding part of the show, and, well, car loser/boat winner #3. It's just not that complicated to me.
Sorry..........I won't bring it up again. Just keeping count, is all.
You have nothing to apologize for. You made a perfectly valid observation about the season thus far while discussing the show in the appropriate thread. There's no realistic reason for what you said getting on anyone's nerves or being annoying.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 03:01:45 PM by MannyCav »
b]*This signature has been removed by an anonymous admin without sending me a full copy of the signature, pointing out what was in rules violation, or an explanation or message to me of any kind. Answers to this mystery would be appreciated. Feel free to PM me.*[/b]

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 03:03:33 PM »
Today's Dice Game was probably the funniest thing I've seen on the show in a while.  I knew Matthew would lose when he said that the second digit is higher than two (even though I can't blame him for going with the odds), but the painful loss was made more tolerable when that four accidentally lit up.  The way Drew played out the blooper was fun and it was hilarious that a four was rolled anyway.  As Bob would say, "If you're going to lose, do it with style!" and that certainly was the case here.

Is it me or were Dice Game's displays replaced with much brighter bulbs?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 03:10:46 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 03:38:15 PM »
I don't know how easy the Corvette was, but it was pretty clear that the contestant was supposed to make it to the Corvette, at least.  That really should not have been lost in that manner.

Now, on the other side, Bonus Game was (in my honest opinion) its usual hard self with unexpectedly inexpensive (or otherwise hard to price) small prizes

The small prizes being hard doesn't really matter, as long as the one next to the bonus window is easy, though.

Offline crazypackersfan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • There... are... four... lights!
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 04:00:27 PM »
Shocking loss in Triple Play... obviously they meant for him to at least make it to the 3rd car. Maybe he only looked at the first two digits of the prices (I'm trying to be nice here).

The thing about this "Big Money Week" is that all the air is sucked out of the show as soon as the "Big Money" game is over. In fact, it's as if the Showcases are even a disappointment in comparison to the "Big Money" game being lost. What has made the show successful for so long is the Showcases always being the best prizes and thus the thing you look forward to the most. I turned the show off after the 6th pricing game yesterday, though I stuck it out today.

I don't think the "Big Money Week" is a bad idea, I just think if you're going to bust the budget, go all-out with a "Big Money" game in each half as well as two nice showcases.

Offline dconnary

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 04:02:33 PM »
Good to see the return of Triple Play and Bonus game! I was impressed with the new graphics in the game board.  I wouldn't be surprised if Golden Road, 3 Strokes, and Pay the Rent are all played this week.