Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 10/15/2013 (TPiR Season 42 Big Money Week - Day 2)  (Read 21103 times)

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: TPiR Recap - 10/15/2013 (TPiR Season 42 Big Money Week - Day 2)
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2013, 05:27:55 PM »
Nice wins on Coming Or Going, Bonus Game, and Swap Meet! :-)  Too bad Triple Play was lost.

Not too bad overall, IMHO.
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2013, 05:31:18 PM »
The thing about this "Big Money Week" is that all the air is sucked out of the show as soon as the "Big Money" game is over.

I agree. It wasn't so bad yesterday because we had a win in 1/2 Off, but after Triple Play was lost it's kind of like "Back to the routine stuff."
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline dad90

• In the Audience
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2013, 05:45:14 PM »
Well, The Dreaded Dice Game turns out to be both a blessing and a curse.

Blessing: Technical error at the last number, and the player rolled that number anyway.  (What are the odds of that?)
Curse: Of course, the first dice roll is 2.  Player goes higher, and guess what?  A "1" shows up.  And my reaction is this:

As for Triple Play, they should've gone for the Range Rover first, then the Audi, and then the Chevy Corvette.

Double Cross: The HDTVs couldn't be THAT cheap, could they?

As for Swap Meet, Bonus Game, and Coming or Going, great wins all around.  The Bonus Game usually has the BONUS either 1st, 2nd, or 3rd.  Chances for the 4th are really small.

As stated, no GIFs/videos/images please except via link.

-- Adam
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 06:27:10 PM by Roadgeek Adam »

Offline WilliamPorygon

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2013, 05:57:58 PM »
Technical error at the last number, and the player rolled that number anyway.  (What are the odds of that?)

1 in 6?  :-P

I'm kind of curious if the error was related to their automating the sound effects.  When the 6 was rolled the bells went off to indicate it was right (albeit somewhat muted) before Drew asked, and he didn't seem to notice so they had to sound them again.  It wouldn't surprise me if the board operator was trying to turn the 6 off and back on or something, and inadvertently revealed the last number to make the bells ring again instead.

Offline Kyle

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2013, 06:06:30 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if Golden Road, 3 Strikes, and Pay the Rent are all played this week.

I believe the teasers shown before the showcases can confirm one, if not two of those.

It's kind of hard to follow yesterday's show in terms of quality, but, damned if today's didn't give it a try.

I know most people around here tend to like Golden Road or 3 Strikes more as far as "The Big 3" go, but, Triple Play might be my favorite out of them so I was happy to see it crop up. I believe those were also the most expensive cars ever offered in the game, as well. Even though the second car was more expensive than the first, it was crying out for the $41,142 to be chosen; the other two prices looked too cheap. I am pleased that Mike Richards is on the record of wanting to play this game more often, so, hopefully we'll see Triple Play again sooner rather than later.

Coming or Going may as well have been called "Do the Math" today as it was mathematically impossible for the right price of both motorscooters to be $8,207 with all prices being rounded to the nearest dollar.

Nice to see Bonus Game make an appearance. The fake prices were fair today.

Swap Meet shocked me, in that, I didn't want to yell things at George for acting goofy during the game. If he could just stay like he was during this game in future appearances, I wouldn't have a problem with him participating.

Dice Game was interesting... having missed a large number of shows in the past couple of years, I'm curious when the last time a techincal foul-up like that remained a part of the show. I had a feeling the second number was going to be a 1, though. $23,000+ seemed too expensive.

Double Cross was a shocker. Perhaps I'm too used to seeing the 3D TVs, but, I thought there was no way two LED TVs of that size would be only $1,725.

The Big Wheel has been heating up this week, so far. $13,000 given away inside of two days isn't bad at all.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2013, 06:11:41 PM »
Allow me to predict what Mr. Gavazzi shall say:

"Again, I love it when the show tries to do something they think is really awesome and something totally different ends up upstaging it. Triple Play for such large cars wasn't nearly as fun to watch as a Dice Game playing where a roll is rendered completely pointless due to a glitch."

:-D

What has made the show successful for so long is the Showcases always being the best prizes and thus the thing you look forward to the most.
...No, the entire show is why the show has been successful for so long. Further, the Showcases were always meant to be about winning more prizes -- not the best, and most certainly not the biggest.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 06:14:03 PM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2013, 06:23:59 PM »
Triple Play for such large cars wasn't nearly as fun to watch as a Dice Game playing where a roll is rendered completely pointless due to a glitch.

Be careful what you (or through channeling Steve) choose to praise about the show.  Mike and the gang will start "scripting" glitches.
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2013, 06:35:49 PM »
Be careful what you (or through channeling Steve) choose to praise about the show.
I was speaking for myself, but given what Mr. Gavazzi said about the show that aired yesterday I felt it appropriate to try and predict what he would say. ;-)

[...or else] Mike and the gang will start "scripting" glitches.
Oh, most certainly for all that is sacred no. In that case, I apologize for my comments.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline DJTorgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2013, 06:37:08 PM »
Sorry..........I won't bring it up again.

Don't do that.  All because I don't agree with some things you say doesn't make you wrong.  That's discussion.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2013, 07:20:58 PM »
Triple Play could have just as easily been setup with just one expensive car, and the rest of the budget spent elsewhere. TP wouldn't have been any less exciting, as just the prospect of winning 3 cars is exciting enough on its own, and the lineup as a whole would have been given a pretty big boost. I won't bring this up again, as I'm sure the rest of the week will be the same, but I really hope that what will inevitably be "Big Money Week III" will be different.

Good follow up to yesterday, although I haven't seen the entire show. Can't wait to see what extravagancies tomorrow will bring!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 07:28:03 PM by PayingTheRent »
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline SonicWhammy

• In the Audience
  • Just Brian Sapinski... for now
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2013, 07:35:18 PM »
I'm a man of numbers, so today was really interesting.

Triple Play: I was calling it out to my wife on the Range Rover. With only $147 in difference between those top two prices, it made no sense to go with the lower one. We should have had a chance to try for the Corvette with that setup. Though I'll bet that some of you were probably thinking "Oh, it's $41,000! They're doing the Gas Money trick again!"

Coming Or Going: I was so happy that someone paid attention to the math on this one. I just smack my head every time someone's offered a pair of something in a two-price game like this or Side By Side and they pick the price that ends in an odd number. Not today.

Dice Game: Couldn't have had that glitch work out better. When's the last time we had any type of tech bug like that in any game, actually? Sadly, in spite of that, I saw trouble too when that first 2 was rolled. That's really one for the LFAT crowd to get, but the average audience will play the odds every time.

Double Cross: No sooner was I praising the Pair O' Prizes Rule than this comes along. Not only does she pick a price with an odd ending for the TV's, but the right answer IS an odd? And a cheap one at that. A rare Double Whammy here, and now my head just hurts.

In spite of that, I still don't buy into the argument of "evil" setups for games. Everything's winnable, you just know it or you don't, sometimes. So trust your instincts, but also (usually) trust the math.

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2013, 08:03:23 PM »
Triple Play could have just as easily been setup with just one expensive car, and the rest of the budget spent elsewhere.

Yes, but the 3 cars already exist in their inventory, so it made for a thrilling sight. And for it to fit within the confines of their definition of "Big Money", the 'Vette would have had to been a top tier model ($70,000+), to go along with two "cheaper" vehicles. So no matter how you do the math, they probably would have ended up offering the same dollar value, more or less. With the loss, they'll all pop up individually sometime during the rest of the season.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline TheBigAK

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2013, 08:06:08 PM »
There was less than $200 difference between the 2nd and 3rd price in TP today.    That 3rd price was begging to be picked.

I think they wanted to get to that 3rd car.
I'm TheBigAK...and I APPROVE this post.

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2013, 08:18:35 PM »
Don't do that.  All because I don't agree with some things you say doesn't make you wrong.  That's discussion.
I understand. Well, it's not like I was bashing on those who lost on car games and end up with boats...........There have been many contestants on have been in the same outcome as Matthew.

And as far as MannyCav go, I totally agree with him. If someone doesn't win a car and ends up with a boat, I really can't tell if that person really does want the boat for obvious reasons (i.e. fishing trips, lake parties, beach parties, etc.) or if he can just take it back or sell it.

While Matthew may have won more than the Scion with the boat, I really don't know if he has any use for it. But hey, agree to disagree, as I say.

Offline wildbill0962

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Golden Road's Unofficial Official Bracketologist
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2013, 08:48:05 PM »
It was certainly a head-scratcher with the middle price being selected in Triple Play, considering there was only about $150 separating that from the highest price, meaning the odds of it being right were extremely low.

Always fun to see Dice Game, but unfortunately the first die didn't roll in his favor. The near tech win was pretty funny, but rolling a 4 was quite ironic, which took care of the tech win, altogether.

Here's hoping things keep pointing up as the week continues.
Pete Carroll has the biggest balls in the world.

10th place in 2010-2011 CSS
16th place in 2011-2012 CSS
17th place in 2012-2013 CSS

B/R Profile: http://bleacherreport.com/users/1048731-bill-riccette
Follow me on Twitter for my take on the Eagles, NCAA Tournament Bracketology and various sports topics @Bill_Riccette https://twitter.com/Bill_Riccette
http://billriccettenfl.wordpress.com/