Author Topic: CSS Results for 10/16/2013 (Game 18)  (Read 1494 times)

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
CSS Results for 10/16/2013 (Game 18)
« on: October 16, 2013, 01:05:03 PM »

Clearly some of us have forgotten how much Cyprus costs.

All but six people recorded garfs on the second showcase, with said Cyprus trip. Those who did remember that it's expensive did fairly well on it, however, especially vadernader, who scores the win for the day with our first single-digit difference of the season, a very impressive $6 DSW. Well done!

On the other side, a fairly standard two-prize showcase, one that everyone did fairly well on...and that four people recorded DSWs on. AMGray1986 scores his first DSW of the year with a $235 difference. The StagePlayer and goldroadfanatic each record their second DSWs with a $157 difference. Finally, GoldenBulldog $10-upped both of them and scored, cashing both showcases with a $147 difference.

And futility continues for poor jacaya and Footix. :(
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline jacaya

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: CSS Results for 10/16/2013 (Game 18)
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 01:34:41 PM »
Actually... futility for me is on "part two" because I DID cash and score once.
That's j-a-c-a-y-a. Just As Confused As You Are.

Offline GoldenBulldog

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Creative Writer, Loyal Friend and True
    • My Faceook Page
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 03:21:38 PM »
My StagePlayer DSW'ing-upping strategy worked again!  Woo-hoo!! :mrgreen:
I just wanted to drop you a note and thank you for your love, affection and loyalty to me, drew, the models and.... The Price is Right....thank you for being such a "Loyal Friend & True". -Rich Fields (in an e-mail sent to me on 3/17/2010)

I support The Price is Right...even if nobody I know likes Drew Carey.

Offline DJTorgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 03:43:15 PM »

I still think it's shameful to just up the stage player.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 04:55:51 PM »

Agreed. It's pretty much equivalent to just watching the chat for bids and upping someone there. Not exactly "against the rules" - but should be frowned upon.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline GoldenBulldog

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Creative Writer, Loyal Friend and True
    • My Faceook Page
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 08:35:23 PM »

That's what you're supposed to do, right?  Make sure that the StagePlayer doesn't have the best bid of the day?  :P

Here's my take on it:  I could've just as easily added $100 to my bid, but I felt as if I was risking a WSD by adding that much to it.  So I made the judgement call to add $10 extra (a little spending dough, perhaps? :lol: ) feeling that Stagey was gonna DSW with a sub-$100 difference.  I don't cheat to win this damn game; I've been playing for six years now.  I understand that certain folks might call my strategy wrong, but to me, it's simply a gut feeling that I had to act on.
I just wanted to drop you a note and thank you for your love, affection and loyalty to me, drew, the models and.... The Price is Right....thank you for being such a "Loyal Friend & True". -Rich Fields (in an e-mail sent to me on 3/17/2010)

I support The Price is Right...even if nobody I know likes Drew Carey.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 08:58:33 PM »
That's what you're supposed to do, right?  Make sure that the StagePlayer doesn't have the best bid of the day?  :P

Here's my take on it:  I could've just as easily added $100 to my bid, but I felt as if I was risking a WSD by adding that much to it.  So I made the judgement call to add $10 extra (a little spending dough, perhaps? :lol: ) feeling that Stagey was gonna DSW with a sub-$100 difference.  I don't cheat to win this damn game; I've been playing for six years now.  I understand that certain folks might call my strategy wrong, but to me, it's simply a gut feeling that I had to act on.

I always thought the point was to make bids that you thought were the best you could come up with and not to worry about such stuff as what other players are bidding or what Stage Player has bid until after everything is revealed and when all the results are said & done. If you thought $22,500 was a winning bid you should have bid that irregardless of what Stage Player bids. Again, I go back to the aforementioned scenario. If "Stage Player" was some user in chat, and you saw they bid $22,500 and though they would DSW, bidding $22,510 isn't exactly against the rules or cheating, it is more frowned upon than anything else. Their bid should not influence your bid.

That being said, it is entirely possible to end up upping the Stage Player by pure coincidence, both thinking up the same price or not knowing what Stage Player bid and bidding a random amount that happens to up them - however in this case you made it clear it wasn't that case in a braggadocious way :P So yeah.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline nowhammies11

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The blood of angry men, the dark of ages past
    • The Whammy's Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 09:30:08 PM »
I don't think vadernader has any standing being the CSS Rules Police, as he is not the moderator (among other reasons).  If what GoldenBulldog did is not against the rules as set out in the rules thread, he is in the clear.
YOU CAN NEVER STOP :clipboard:

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 09:34:23 PM »
Bulldog has been around the game for a long time...longer than me, even. If that's the way he chooses to play, so be it. End of discussion.

So long as he is not cheating, he's fine.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 09:36:25 PM by cu2010 »

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline DJTorgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 11:34:55 PM »
I think what Vader's trying to get at is that yes, it's a frowned-upon strategy, but he realizes that it's perfectly legal.  It's the gloating about it.  You don't see soldiers being called "military strategists" for being told where the enemy is firing from and adjusting accordingly.

Bragging about one-upping Stage Player is like bragging about one-upping a baby, and I imagine it has about the same win ratio.

Stupid babies and their knowledge of boats.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Online Punchboard91

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 11:12:41 AM »
As someone who has been playing CSS off and on for years, I have to agree with Torgo and Vader. I'm not saying at all he's cheating...but it goes against the spirit of the game. It's like when Fieldsy said she looked up car prices....not technically against the rules since it can't be enforced, but since the whole point of the game is to bid like the show, without the internet, it's frowned upon.

Personally, I always bid whatever I think it is, ignoring Stagey's bids. So if I'm $20 under them, oh well. Maybe they'll WSD anyway. So if Bulldog wants to one up stagey, it's legal....but I don't think many will appreciate it, let alone bragging about it.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 11:17:59 AM »
It's like when Fieldsy said she looked up car prices....not technically against the rules since it can't be enforced, but since the whole point of the game is to bid like the show, without the internet, it's frowned upon.

Looking up car prices during CSS is very much against the rules now! :)

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 11:36:01 AM »
For years, Willy has openly frowned upon CSS players who "sandbag" their bids (that is, intentionally garfing so as to guarantee scoring), but that's also not illegal.  I'm just saying...
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16