Author Topic: 2014 Price is Right 'Wish List'  (Read 6808 times)

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
Re: 2014 Price is Right 'Wish List'
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2013, 03:01:21 PM »
Eliminate all playing in pairs specials and keep TPIR a 1 player game.

A better Christmas week in terms of prizes and setups than we had this year.

Keep the Halloween and Christmas specials with similar set decorations to 2013.

More big prize specials such as Dream Car Week and Big Money Week.

More Golden Road,Triple Play and Pathfinder and less Squueze Play,Double Prices,and One Wrong Price. (Squeeze Play isn't a bad game. I just think it's overplayed.)

More big winners like our Audi.winner yesterday.

Eliminate contestant's personal stories and keep the focus on prizes and gameplay.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 03:09:55 PM by moneygamelover »
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2013, 03:04:42 PM »
I wish for:

More Golden Road, Pass The Buck, and 10 Chances
10 Chances played for a $50K - $98K automobile
The return of classic, "non-remixed" cues
The return of the old style Bonus Game board (I know, I know) and the classic turntable reveal
Fewer "special episodes"

Hmmm... what else? :)   That's good, for now at least.

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2013, 03:24:02 PM »
Any Chance Double Prices could be retired. I know it was played on the 1st ever show on 9-4-72 and that's the argument for keeping it. But Double Prices is so much less interesting than ANY other game and I'm not that nostalgic.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2013, 03:42:51 PM »
Yay, another poorly-disguised "complain about the show" thread!

Complaining can happen in any thread, whether it's intentional or not. In this case, I didn't create this thread to "complain." I just wanted to list a few suggestions of things I would like to see happen this coming year. To me, 2013 has been the best year of the Drew era. I hope 2014 will be even better, and I think it will be if some of the things I listed can happen. That's not complaining, that's just wishful thinking (hence the title "Wish List").

Any Chance Double Prices could be retired.

Ummm, no. :-?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 03:44:57 PM by PayingTheRent »
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2013, 03:51:16 PM »
Eliminate all playing in pairs specials and keep TPIR a 1 player game.

A better Christmas week in terms of prizes and setups than we had this year.

Keep the Halloween and Christmas specials with similar set decorations to 2013.

More big prize specials such as Dream Car Week and Big Money Week.

More Golden Road,Triple Play and Pathfinder and less Squueze Play,Double Prices,and One Wrong Price. (Squeeze Play isn't a bad game. I just think it's overplayed.)

More big winners like our Audi.winner yesterday.

If they keep Halloween and Christmas exactly similar to 2013 it will become stale fast. They can't afford to keep offering and giving away big prizes, that's how the budget becomes out of control fast and towards the end of the season we end up with ridiculously hard setups. Yes, Golden Road Triple Play and 3 Strikes are nice but there needs to be balance, you can't just play Golden Road every single week. Quickies are needed because there is only so much time in an episode to fill in 6 games with. And again, big winners are nice but they can break the budget if they constantly happen.

Eliminate contestant's personal stories and keep the focus on prizes and gameplay.

That defeats the entire purpose of the show. The show is supposed to be about the contestants, not the prizes, not the host, not the gameplay, not anything else.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline Josh444

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2013, 03:59:57 PM »
That defeats the entire purpose of the show. The show is supposed to be about the contestants, not the prizes, not the host, not the gameplay, not anything else.

Pretty sure the purpose of the show is about the gameplay, not about the contestant's lives. It's not called "The Contestants of The Price is Right", it's "The Price is Right".

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2013, 11:12:21 PM »
Any Chance Double Prices could be retired.

No.  Double Prices is the fastest game on the show.  Getting rid of it would be pure stupidity.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2013, 11:19:00 PM »
Pretty sure the purpose of the show is about the gameplay, not about the contestant's lives. It's not called "The Contestants of The Price is Right", it's "The Price is Right".

The purpose of any given show on a commercial network is to draw viewers that can be profitably sold to advertisers. What effectively does that may well change over time. Go with the flow of what works, and don't be rigidly tied to what once was.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2013, 11:43:35 PM »

Okay I should not have thrown in "gameplay" because obviously the gameplay is about the contestants, but learning about the contestants lives for 10 seconds is part of the show. These people aren't just robots picking numbers. moneygamelover's point was that he cared more about the new car than the contestant playing the game and thought more weight should be placed on the fancy and expensive prizes. If that was true why not just have Drew, George, and the models play the games and have them win or lose the prizes and money, if the contestants don't matter.... Anyway, My point was that was against the spirit of the show, and something that has been a bad trend lately. It's not okay to flash around big cars and $100,000 price tags with ridiculously evil setups, getting contestants hopes up only to fake them out and make them lose out on gigantic sums of money or prizes. (Excluding the recent one of course!) Give them a more fair setup with a cheaper prize so they can at least have a chance.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 11:53:22 PM by vadernader »
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2014, 12:02:09 AM »
Price has always been about the contestants. That is one of the reasons Drew is not liked by some -- the fact he cannot draw out info about the contestants' lives on a consistent basis, which in turn makes him suffer by comparison to the emcees before him.

The "focus on the prizes" mentality is part of what made the show suffer so much after Roger was dismissed, especially after the BIG PRIZES mentality began, and by all indication is something the current regime continues to struggle with.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 12:06:26 AM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2014, 12:23:16 AM »
"By all indication" is a most interesting phrase. There's at least one indication that doesn't seem to be struggling.

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2014, 01:57:04 PM »
The reason why eliminating contestant's personal stories and going straight from Drew reading the ARP of the contestant's row prize to George immediately reading the prize copy is a good idea is this: The time saved by eliminating contestant's personal stories could then be used to improve the game lineup. Granted some games such as 3 strikes and 10 chances are time consuming to the point of needing to be played rarely. However if you could save even 1-2 minutes per show by eliminating contestant's personal stories you could then reduce the frequency of quickies like Squeeze Play and increase the frequency of some games with more substance such as Danger Price,Take Two,and you even get a few more Golden Road playings since Golden Road isn't really an.overly long game. Plus if a game like Golden Road gets more playtime then we have a chance for more great prizes and more big winners. That is why eliminating contestant's personal stories is a good idea.

Online Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2014, 02:54:10 PM »
The model situation is simply unenjoyable to watch.  I don't care about these other people and they aren't good at modeling.  Why bother with the whole model search a few years ago if anybody from the street could do it?  Just pick the prettiest person in that case.

Some resolution for the Credit Card and Card Game situations would be nice.  I would push for official retirement for both, but staying mum on Credit Card and taunting us with pictures of new Card Game designs isn't really helping things.  I just can't see how to turn them into exciting games with the time constraints today.

There are certain games on the show that could still use a redesign, so some tasteful updates in the same vein as others we have seen recently would be fine.

The continual integration of classic cues and remixes. Some of the remixes haven't been great, but the effort is appreciated.

Currently, the rotation of the Big 3 is unacceptable.   Golden Road averaged 3.2 playings per season in Mike's first five years and 7 playings per season in Roger's last five years.

Yay, another poorly-disguised "complain about the show" thread!

Only if we make it one.  Constructive criticism should be appreciated.

Do I even have to say it?  More three car shows.

Just to be clear to anybody from the show that's reading, this means three pricing games played for cars in one show.

That is why eliminating contestant's personal stories is a good idea.

You haven't sold me yet.  The benefits you claim are so minimal compared to having robots play pricing games.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline nwc3

• Outside in Line
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2014, 03:25:35 PM »
In no particular order... (These are MY wishes... If they sound like complaints.. sorry... I've been a LFAT since 1985...)

More pricing game variety... many games are way overplayed and many way underplayed...

More prize variety... too many trips... too many designer packages...

More pricing game wins... less focus on the losses...

More pricing game prop updates... The set and game updates since Season 35 really do look good...

Less gimmicks like big money, two-player specials, and celebrity guests and models...

And finally... more improvement for Drew and George... Anyone can YouTube a show clip from the first 35 seasons to see how much less energetic and less enthusiastic these two appear on a daily basis than Bob and any of the original announcers. I don't hate Drew or George. I wish they could play the games, interact with the contestants, and make us want to watch... more like the old days. As repetitive as Bob could be... and he was VERY repetititive... the LFAT expected it... craved it... Drew's repetitiveness is a turn-off...

Offline IncoG5nito

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2014, 03:48:20 PM »
A "Classic Games Week" where every day one or two games are brought out of retirement.  If an existing prop is not available, build a makeshift new prop or play it on a flatscreen.  I've posted my thoughts on how Hurdles and It's Optional could be done elsewhere.  If they are well accepted, consider bringing a couple of them back out of retirement for good, constructing permanent props or screen design for them as appropriate.
IncoG5nito
Formerly of the "Game Show Fiesta"