Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 1/29/2014  (Read 11007 times)

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
TPiR Recap - 1/29/2014
« on: January 29, 2014, 12:08:29 PM »
G-R Recap Test
Episode #6593K
Aired – 1/29/2014; Taped – 10/22/2013
Models: Amber Lancaster, Rachel Reynolds
Microphone Handoff: Rachel
First Four Contestant Seating: Mixed

First IUFB: Countertop Appliances (Bright yellow 2-slice toaster, old-fashioned toaster, coffee maker, ice cream machine, kettle); ARP: $1,070 (Amber)

KARL CHRISTOPHER MONICA STEFANIE
575 375 620 450

The winner is...
MONICA

Monica is playing Grand Game for a chance to win up to $10,000!

The target price is...

Monica starts out at $1.00:

$1.00

The items are:

• Canada Dry Cranberry Ginger Ale
  • Diamond Flatware
  • Olay Body Lotion
  • Purina One Beyond Cat Food
  • Gallo Pepperoni Slices
  • Glad Trash Bags

Pick 1: Ginger Ale

$1.99
$10.00

Pick 2: Pepperoni

$4.99
$100.00

Pick 3: Cat Food

$3.49
$1,000.00

Pick 4: Flatware

$4.79
$10,000.00

WIN (The lotion was $6.49 and the bags were $8.99)

Second IUFB: Digital Telescope (Celestron: 8in computerized telescope); ARP: $1,529 (Rachel)

KARL CHRISTOPHER PAMELA STEFANIE
1301 1405 1000 1300

The winner is...
CHRISTOPHER

Christopher is playing SQUEEZE PLAY for outdoor furniture (Patio Republic: Outdoor set with 6 chairs and coffee table) (Amber) and television (46in all-weather HDTV) (Amber).

The 2, 7 or 9 is incorrect.

6 2 7 9 4

Christopher removes the 2...

$ 6 7 9 4
$6794

WIN

Third IUFB: Designer Accessories (Clara Kasavina: Crystal cuff and clutch); ARP: $1,975 (Rachel and Amber)

KARL BETTY PAMELA STEFANIE
976 850 975 1500

The winner is...
STEFANIE

Stefanie is playing LINE 'EM UP for a 2014 Jeep Patriot Sport SUV (2.4L engine, FWD, sunscreen glass, all-weather tires, Media Sensor 230, CD/DVD, paint/fabric) (Rachel).

Stefanie has to line up the prices of the Jeep using the prices of these items:

• A camcorder (Sony: Built-in projector with 16GB memory card) (Amber)
  • Foosball game (compact fosoball game)
  • A satellite radio (SiriusXM: Radio with car and home kit + 1yr subscription) (Rachel)

8 7 9 CAMCORDER
      4 9 FOOSBALL  
      5 4 9 RADIO
  1 She sets the price to...      
    8 7 9 CAMCORDER
    4 9 FOOSBALL    
5 4 9 RADIO      

WIN (Total Winnings: $19,967)

SCSD #1

Contestant Winnings Spin 1 Spin 2 TOTAL RESULT
Christopher $8,323 85 STAY .85 *SHOWCASE*
Monica $11,070 55 75 1.30
OVER
Stefanie $21,942 55 50 1.05
OVER

Fourth IUFB: iPod and Headphones (Apple: 16GB iPod Nano with beats by Dr. Dre headphones); ARP: $549 (Overhead)

KARL BETTY PAMELA STEVEN
525 550 551 500

The winner is...
KARL

Karl, a cancer survivor from Indiana, is playing Do The Math for a fridge (28cuft stainless steel fridge with digital memos and calendar) (Amber) and a laptop computer (Apple: 15in MacBookPro, 8GB RAM, 512GB flash storage) (Rachel).

± $900 =
FRIDGE
LAPTOP
Karl believes it is
- $900 =
FRIDGE
LAPTOP
- $900 =
$3,499
$2,599

WIN (Total Winnings: $6,998)

Fifth IUFB: Barbecue Smoker (Grill Dome: Rust free ceramic cooker); ARP: $1,370 (Rachel)

TEAIRRA BETTY PAMELA STEVEN
1200 1300 1000 1301

The winner is...
STEVEN

Steven is playing Bonus Game for a trip to Austria (RT Coach for 3 guests to Salsburg, AU for 7n stay in two-bedroom unit at The Alpine Club + rental car; $7,726) (Amber).

First prize: Electric Wok (all Rachel)
Price: $99
Guess: Lower
ARP: $130 (Wrong)

Second prize: Photo Wheel
Price: $50
ARP: $79 (Wrong)

Third prize: Cuisinart Breadmaker
Price: $300
ARP: $235 (Correct)

Fourth prize: Electric Shaver
Price: $80
ARP: $60 (Correct)

$235
LOWER
BONUS!
$60
LOWER

WIN (Total Winnings: $8,021)

Sixth IUFB: Surfboard (Infinity: 9ft 6in longboard); ARP: $1,015 (Amber)

TEAIRRA BETTY PAMELA OLIVIA
850 1100 551 550

The winner is...
TEAIRRA

Teairra is playing That's Too Much for a 2014 Ford Fusion S (2.5L engine, 6-speed AT, remote keyless entry) (Rachel).

$14,310
$15,206
$16,464
$17,500
$18,421
$19,770
$21,480
$ $ $
$ $ $
$ $ $
ARP:
$22,695
PAINFUL LOSS
$14,310
$15,206
$16,464
$17,500
$18,421
$19,770
$21,480
$22,990
$ $ $
$ $ $

SCSD #2

Contestant Winnings Spin 1 Spin 2 TOTAL RESULT
Teairra $1,015 35 50 .85 *SHOWCASE*
Karl $7,547 10 60 .70
Steven $9,391 80 75 1.55
OVER

THE FABULOUS SHOWCASES

Christopher has the honors...

SC1 - Christopher

PARTY 24/7 IN 1999
  • Pool Table and Hot Tub (Mizerak: 8ft pool table with deluxe accessory package; Beachcomber 321 Hot Tub) (Rachel)
  • 2014 Chevrolet Spark LS (1.2L engine, AT CVT, tire pressure monitoring system) (Amber)
Bid: $22,500

SC2 - Teairra

PLANS FOR YOU
  • iPad (Apple: 128GB iPad with Wifi, Retina display, camera, smartcover) (Rachel)
  • Trip to Boston (RT Coach to Boston, MA for a 6n stay in a premier room at the Colonnade Hotel + sunset sail around Boston Harbor) (Rachel)
  • Trip to Australia (RT Coach to Cannes, AU for a 6n tay in superior bay room in bay hotel + daily breakfast, cruise to Great Barrier Reef for day of snorkeling) (Rachel)
Bid: $20,500
Christopher
$22,500
SPARK
$20,900
SPARK
Teairra
$20,500
TRIPS
$21,649
$1,149
TRIPS
*WIN*
$22,664

Results: 5 out of 6
Winnings: $80,937
Biggest Winner: Teairra

This Recap is solely intended for the purpose of Golden-Road.net.
Reproduction of this without authorized consent is prohibited.

Recap produced by Roadgeek Adam
Templates by Visualbasicwizard and WhammyPower788
CSS work provided by cu2010.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 03:04:14 PM by Roadgeek Adam »
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline MannyCav

• Walking the Golden Road
  • My forum signature vanished. PM if you have info.
    • Buy Video Games for Consoles and PC - From Japan, Korea and other Regions>—This is my Play-Asia affiliate link for video game shopping.
Re: TPiR Recap - 1/29/2014
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 12:26:23 PM »
Today's Bonus Game got me thinking about something I had mulled over before. The winner is in the military, and stated he would be deployed overseas in late January or February (that's right around now, the airdate). As I understand, trips aren't like cars, toasters, barbecues, or whatever--the winner can't sell or name alternate parties. The winner must be one of the ones to take the trip, and can only take other persons as allowed (trip for two, four, etc.). My thinking is this: If something like, say, a brave serviceman that wins a time-limited and restricted trip is unable to take the trip due to mandatory deployment, can the show make accommodations, alternate arrangements, or substitutions given the unusual circumstances? Is there a precedent for this type of thing? Or is it going to be the familiar answer like in practically every other similar situation (the contestant basically wins nothing or an unusable prize)?

Rather unfortunate that That's Too Bad at the very end had to ruin a perfect show in the making. It was nice to see the Line 'Em Up winner stick with her instinctive first answer and keep the price like it was, leading to a nice exacta win. The aforementioned Bonus Game winner didn't and opted to go with the crowd, but at least all he's out over it is an electric wok. The crowd got Grand Game right, though. Nice to see a $10,000 winner there in addition to the other four winners. Grand Game wins are becoming too unfortunately uncommon these days.

These showcases seem like they're drifting closer and closer to the $22,000 range almost on a Showcase-by-Showcase basis. It's like they're angling for double overbids. Budget control, perhaps?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 12:32:10 PM by MannyCav »
b]*This signature has been removed by an anonymous admin without sending me a full copy of the signature, pointing out what was in rules violation, or an explanation or message to me of any kind. Answers to this mystery would be appreciated. Feel free to PM me.*[/b]

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 12:40:38 PM »
Such a great show today, a lot of wins and Drew was on! That's too Much stung a bit but it was pretty fairly setup, just one off!

The Showcases were cheap...again...come on guys, at least have one of them be over $22,000.

Today's Bonus Game got me thinking about something I had mulled over before. The winner is in the military, and stated he would be deployed overseas in late January or February (that's right around now, the airdate). As I understand, trips aren't like cars, toasters, barbecues, or whatever--the winner can't sell or name alternate parties. The winner must be one of the ones to take the trip, and can only take other persons as allowed (trip for two, four, etc.). My thinking is this: If something like, say, a brave serviceman that wins a time-limited and restricted trip is unable to take the trip due to mandatory deployment, can the show make accommodations, alternate arrangements, or substitutions given the unusual circumstances? Is there a precedent for this type of thing? Or is it going to be the familiar answer like in practically every other similar situation (the contestant basically wins nothing or an unusable prize)?

I will tell you from first-hand experience that trips are not the best prizes to win on the show.  First of all, you have 18 months to take the trip, which means you are taxed for something that, in many cases, doesn't even exist at the time you file taxes.  The day the show is taped, you are immediately given paperwork which allows you to forfeit your prize, but who really knows if you'll will be able to actually take the trip you've won.  In theory, you may be taxed on something you never actually receive.

Secondly, you have to be one of the 2 people who takes the trip... meaning you can't sell it, which makes it different than any other prize on the show.  Cash is cash, items can be sold, but trips are hypothetical experiences unless they are actually used.

I had the time of my life just being on the show, but if you ever have the opportunity to be on Price, winning cash or any physical prize is optimal outcome.

On a side note:  The contestant paperwork clearly states that contestants cannot request cash in lieu of the prizes won.  In cases where the show cannot deliver the item presented on TV, the show may have the option to offer the contestant a cash equivalent, but it's not up to the contestant to say "I want cash instead of prize x".
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline Brian44

• 4/22/1996
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 12:41:49 PM »
TPIR was pre-empted here in Atlanta due to extended coverage of the 'whopping' 2" of snow we got yesterday. :roll: I assume that, in keeping with the trend since the turntable area was redone in tile, Bonus Game did not use the classic reveal?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 12:47:32 PM by Brian44 »

Offline MannyCav

• Walking the Golden Road
  • My forum signature vanished. PM if you have info.
    • Buy Video Games for Consoles and PC - From Japan, Korea and other Regions>—This is my Play-Asia affiliate link for video game shopping.
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 12:48:56 PM »
I assume that, in keeping with the trend since the turntable area was redone in tile, Bonus Game did not use the classic reveal?
Yes, I believe that was the case today. The big prize (the trip) was revealed first, and the description ended with the usual "a bonus worth $####" spiel. After that, the game was shown. The turntable was never shown moving.
b]*This signature has been removed by an anonymous admin without sending me a full copy of the signature, pointing out what was in rules violation, or an explanation or message to me of any kind. Answers to this mystery would be appreciated. Feel free to PM me.*[/b]

Offline Brian44

• 4/22/1996
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 12:54:06 PM »
Yes, I believe that was the case today. The big prize (the trip) was revealed first, and the description ended with the usual "a bonus worth $####" spiel. After that, the game was shown. The turntable was never shown moving.

Awww, bummer.  :-( Looks like Bonus Game has gone the way of Hi-Lo in that it is officially being revealed after the prize is shown.

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 01:58:27 PM »
Well, so much for lightning striking twice.........But 5 out of 6 wins is still good.

THE BAD NEWS:

That's Not Enough Too Much: Well, the setup was decent but Teairra just wasn't that confident...........I could tell by her expression on her face. But at least she won a random trip-case.

THE GOOD NEWS:

Grand Game: Another easy setup and great win by Monica.......Good thing she avoided the lotion and/or the trash bags.

Squeeze Play: Same goes for Christopher!

Line 'Em Up: Stefanie's husband was right on the nose on the first try! Pretty rare when it comes to spouses.

Do The Math: Even though Karl didn't have much knowledge of the song, he did played it like a pro!

Bonus Game: That was a close call.......But Steven did prevail on the last two SPs.

THE BOTTOM LINE:

Despite no perfect show today, this was still a pretty good show........Although I can do without those cheap SCs. Can we have one day where we can have at least one that's more than $21K? Plus, I find it a tad unfair that Rachel would have some speaking parts on SC2 but none for Amber. Where's the equality? If one model gets to talk, perhaps all the models should talk as well. No need to single anyone out.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 02:12:58 PM by PriceBusterXL »

Offline DJTorgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 02:08:17 PM »
Stefanie's husband was right on the nose on the first try! Pretty rare when it comes to spouses.

Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 02:13:47 PM »

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 03:05:04 PM »
Recap posted.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 04:47:56 PM »
Today during LEU, Drew started on the turntable.

Yesterday, during OWRP, he also started on the turntable.

So, is this a thing now?  Is it a camera blocking thing they are experimenting with?  Any thoughts?
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 05:01:41 PM »
Today during LEU, Drew started on the turntable.

Yesterday, during OWRP, he also started on the turntable.

So, is this a thing now?  Is it a camera blocking thing they are experimenting with?  Any thoughts?

I think you're reading too much into a goofy mistake. During LEU today he started in the normal position, on the stage in front of the turntable. Maybe the reflection caused confusion, but he did not start on the turntable. Yesterday he started on the turntable as a goof because he forgot what game they were playing and they figured they might as well just leave it in since he already did the call up and the contestant "interview" and such and they had him walk over after the door opened.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 05:12:32 PM »
Grand Game: 1 of my favorite games and a great game to start a show with. Easy setup with the trash bags being obviously over the target price. Seeing $10000 won is an awesome way to start a show. Even in a very good show Grand Game was the highlight of the show today.

Squeeze Play: Nice win.

Line em Up: Today's contestant seemed confused. In the end $18490 was right. It's exciting to see Line em Up won without needing the 2nd part of the game  Very glad to see the Jeep Patriot won.

Do the Math: This is my favorite 2 prize game and the fridge and the apple MacBook pro were fantastic prizes. Pretty easy setup today and great to see it won with $900 to boot.

Bonus Game: Another favorite game of mine. Today's contestant seemed to know the electric work was probably higher but unfortunately went with the audience. No damage done though as the nice trip to Austria was still won. This was set up to be won as the bread maker was the easiest SP on the board.

That's Too Much: I actually like this game better than most people. Painful way to end the show. It would have been great to see the Ford Focus won to finish off a perfect show. Today's setup was fair. Very painful loss as today's contestant just didn't quite go far enough. Fair setup and decent playing. A painful loss that becomes even more painful as it prevents a perfect show.

Showcases: The Chevy Spark showcase was the better showcase. The Boston/Australia showcase that was won was still pretty good. Even with lower ARPs at least decent prizes were offered in both showcases.

Great lineup,some very good playing and some outstanding prizes won. Very good show that would have been truly great with a That's Too Much win. Wonderful show today :)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 05:19:07 PM by moneygamelover »
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline Bobby McBride

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 05:39:52 PM »
Grand: Good start, especially silencing the audience on the cat food.

SP: Believing patio furniture's expensive works out in this playing.

LeU: Another sign where going w/ friends/family instead of the Peanut Gallery majority works out & it's an EXACTA!

DtM: Easy, because the MacBook Pro's not expensive.

Bonus: This & DtM were the easiest games of the day, IMO.

TTM: I knew the PS bid would end here.

Showcases: At that time in the tapings, it appears they were overbudget given the Showcase prices from yesterday & today. Given that, it was amazing everyone on stage won something today.

Offline shell_game

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 09:26:20 PM »
I don't know quite how to explain it, but lately Drew just really seems to be "in tune" with what's going on around him.  He's been hosting some games really well that I often feel are routine and a bit dry, he quickly picked up the number that fell out of Coming or Going the other day and kept going, and today he uprighted the ipod that fell over as it came down for the item up for bid, and kept things moving along without skipping a beat (maybe that one was helped with editing, not sure).  It surely draws a person into the show a lot more when he's like this.  I'm really enjoying the show lately.