Author Topic: TPIR Recap - 2/12/2014  (Read 14050 times)

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: TPIR Recap - 2/12/2014
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2014, 07:43:55 AM »
Speak for yourself. I'd happily trade Clock Game missing some shows to see Magic # or maybe even Card Game again if we're lucky. I mean hell, towards the end of S41 we saw Clock Game every other week.
Um...

We certainly don't need to see Switch or 1RP as much as we do now that we have Bargain, Double Cross, and Do The Math. Whatevs.

Check Game is very sorry. It deeply regrets its actions and hope you can forgive it. It won't happen again.
Lies! All lies! It says that now, and all it will do is go right back to its philandering ways. I don't even know if I can trust it anymore.

Speaking of Check Game, I loved the little blooper with the pen. Drew reminded me of Bob a bit by throwing the pen away after the playing.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2014, 08:59:02 AM »
All joking aside, they should really figure out why Check Game is 1-8 since its return.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline MannyCav

• Walking the Golden Road
  • My forum signature vanished. PM if you have info.
    • Buy Video Games for Consoles and PC - From Japan, Korea and other Regions>—This is my Play-Asia affiliate link for video game shopping.
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2014, 10:26:39 AM »
Also, Kyle definitely did not use the Cover Up strategy on purpose. Be real—how many stage contestants do you think actually understand the game that well?
Hardly any at all, given the game's track record and how it's played nearly every playing, but that certainly doesn't mean that Kyle couldn't have been a "ringer" or possibly even an LFaT that actually pays attention at home. They're rare, but they still exist.
The fact that he made the last number a 5 and then a 0 should tell you everything.
Uh... those were his very first two "wrong" choices for the last digit. Couldn't that also be part of the strategy itself?
b]*This signature has been removed by an anonymous admin without sending me a full copy of the signature, pointing out what was in rules violation, or an explanation or message to me of any kind. Answers to this mystery would be appreciated. Feel free to PM me.*[/b]

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2014, 12:06:48 PM »
Magic Number I can understand, but how does Clock Game getting less play help Card Game get more play?  Or play, period?  Wouldn't it be car games that need less play to make room for Card Game?

Well obviously I wasn't talking about practicality involving prizes, I'm very well aware that Card Game is a car game. I was just talking in the sense that they decided to bring one game back from a mini-hiatus but there are still other games that are on hiatus that get less love, especially considering like I said at the end of last season we saw Clock Game a TON.

All joking aside, they should really figure out why Check Game is 1-8 since its return.

This has been brought up before and the most simplified answer is "Contestants don't understand Check Game". There's just something about it that makes contestants just have a hard time winning, even when contestants do understand the game, it's still not an easy game.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2014, 03:49:54 PM »
This has been brought up before and the most simplified answer is "Contestants don't understand Check Game". There's just something about it that makes contestants just have a hard time winning, even when contestants do understand the game, it's still not an easy game.

For Bob's last five seasons, Check Game had a 46% win rate.  Under Drew, it's 22%.  Either his explanation is confusing contestants or they have made the game harder with prize selection.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline MannyCav

• Walking the Golden Road
  • My forum signature vanished. PM if you have info.
    • Buy Video Games for Consoles and PC - From Japan, Korea and other Regions>—This is my Play-Asia affiliate link for video game shopping.
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2014, 04:12:16 PM »
Or, as Steve alluded to awhile back, it's the raised range without at least a modest enlargement to go with it. Or a cocktail of all three.
b]*This signature has been removed by an anonymous admin without sending me a full copy of the signature, pointing out what was in rules violation, or an explanation or message to me of any kind. Answers to this mystery would be appreciated. Feel free to PM me.*[/b]

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2014, 04:14:56 PM »
Or, as Steve alluded to awhile back, it's the raised range without at least a modest enlargement to go with it. Or a cocktail of all three.

Considering the raised range wasn't completely accounted for inflation, that's likely.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2014, 04:42:57 PM »
I've mentioned that before myself (and had people call me nuts for it), but yes, increasing the range to $7000-$8000 makes the game more difficult.  That's the biggest reason fewer people are winning.

What they did with Check Game would be similar to if they decided to make Range Game with an $800 spread with the same $150 range.  We can agree that would make Range Game more difficult, right?  Same with Check Game.  That $6000 "spread" just became an $8000 "spread," with the same $1000 "range."

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2014, 10:43:46 PM »
Well obviously I wasn't talking about practicality involving prizes, I'm very well aware that Card Game is a car game. I was just talking in the sense that they decided to bring one game back from a mini-hiatus but there are still other games that are on hiatus that get less love, especially considering like I said at the end of last season we saw Clock Game a TON.

The part I'm stuck on is why someone would be irked about Clock Game getting played as frequently as it did for the first three and a half decades.  It's supposed to show up all the time!
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2014, 01:48:03 AM »
Cover Up: Fantastic playing of Cover Up. While $23000 was the obvious range for the Ford Fusion I don't think today's contestant was using strategy. I'd be more likely to believe that if 9 would the choice for the 2nd digit rather than 7 though it's still possible he was. As Drew said "You're playing this game perfectly......you aren't trying to..... It is still a good demonstration of why it's best NOT to get the 2nd number right on your 1st guess. Great to start off the show with a win. The Apple iphone 5s was a fantastic contestant's row prize as well. Today's contestant made out well for himself.

One Right Price: The accessories certainly aren't my favorite prizes but that 51 inch 1080p 3d HD TV was a great prize and it was great to see it won.

Check Game: The higher range does make this game harder to win but today's contestant clearly overpriced the Honda Rebel to only write the check for $1500. Shame this cost us a perfect show.

Clock Game: I liked how the cameras the luggage and the trip to Boston were all related prizes. A very good playing. Today's contestant clearly had a feel for how to play Clock Game. He was clearly zeroing in on the ARPs by determining the hundreds digit 1st which is a very smart way to play Clock Game: And his attentiveness was good. Great win!

Let em Roll: Good luck on the 2nd roll nets a Nissan Versa win. Both car games won! Awesome!

Danger Price: 1 of my favorite games! Played for some very nice prizes today. A great way to end the show with a Danger Price win.

Showcases: I preferred the Volkswagen Jetta showcase that was not won but the cruise showcase that was won was pretty damn good.

Very good show today!

Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2014, 02:06:29 AM »
The part I'm stuck on is why someone would be irked about Clock Game getting played as frequently as it did for the first three and a half decades.  It's supposed to show up all the time!

I'm irked that people are missing it when it doesn't appear for a couple weeks as if it is a game that never shows up. (When that clearly is not the case.)
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2014, 06:48:58 AM »
I'm irked that people are missing it when it doesn't appear for a couple weeks as if it is a game that never shows up. (When that clearly is not the case.)
It may have shown up a lot towards the end of Season 41, but it's only been played a dismal three times this season. Let's not pretend like it's Grocery Game or something where it takes several lengthy breaks, but ends up being played eight times or something. Switcheroo and 2 for the Price of 1 have been played more times that Clock Game for crying out loud. When it's on a pace of seven or eight weeks at a time that's like it never shows up. Sure there are other games we haven't seen in a while like Magic # and Card Game, but still...three playings through six months for a game that isn't usually given the short stick is odd.

Don't hold past season grudges. :(
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline DJTorgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2014, 08:46:45 AM »
Today's contestant clearly had a feel for how to play Clock Game. He was clearly zeroing in on the ARPs by determining the hundreds digit 1st which is a very smart way to play Clock Game:

You don't say.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2014, 04:24:46 PM »

A quick glance at this season's statistics shows that it quite clearly is.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2014, 04:40:46 PM »
A quick glance at this season's statistics shows that it quite clearly is.

And a quick glance back at my original post shows that I was saying that there are clearly other games more rarely played that deserve to be played more than Clock Game deserves it. Yes, Clock Game has only been played 3 times this season so far as we know, oh well. Last Season it was played 16/39 weeks. Magic # for example, has been played once this season, and 10/39 weeks last season. (and only a combined 16 times *total* in Seasons 38, 39, and 40.)