Author Topic: Wheelchair Scooters  (Read 2349 times)

Offline Train

• In Contestant's Row
Wheelchair Scooters
« on: February 06, 2007, 06:40:11 PM »
I'm seeing a lot of ads for these and now they're being offered as prizes every now and then.  Make you think that CBS know a lot of disabled people or people who can't walk watch TPIR.

Offline djsquare

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • tpirmodels.com
Re: Wheelchair Scooters
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 07:03:47 PM »
and?

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 07:57:27 PM »
This is hardly new...the ads have been on for a long time, and Wilford's been pedalling the Diabetes kits even longer.

The fact is, daytime's highest rated audience is the older audience.  Younger people are either at school or at work, so that's the main audience that's watching.  Only recently has Nielsen completed the work that will allow them to add college dorms into the measurement sample, so we'll have to wait a while longer to see if this has any big impact on the audience.  Until the ratings show that more younger people are watching than previously indicated, you just have to accept the fact that the advertisers of senior-related products feel that Price is a good place to advertise their products.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 01:34:01 AM »

Train wrote:
I'm seeing a lot of ads for these and now they're being offered as prizes every now and then.  Make you think that CBS know a lot of disabled people or people who can't walk watch TPIR.

CBSpromoman wrote:
This is hardly new...the ads have been on for a long time, and Wilford's been pedalling the Diabetes kits even longer . . . you just have to accept the fact that the advertisers of senior-related products feel that Price is a good place to advertise their products.

I took Train's comments to mean that he was surprised not that senior products are being advertised, but that they're being offered as prizes.

As pumped up as some college kid is about getting the call to Come On Down, I don't think he'd be too excited about winning a Hoveround.
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline jnasty

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 01:21:32 PM »
I would.. LOL.. As Homer Simpson would say, "Here I am using my own legs like a sucker."

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 01:31:16 PM »
And, as the commercials always remind us, if you have a medical need for a scooter, you can get it for free.  So why would the show offer it as a prize to someone who either (a) doesn't need it or (b) wouldn't have to pay for it?

John

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 01:50:21 PM »

JohnHolder wrote:
And, as the commercials always remind us, if you have a medical need for a scooter, you can get it for free.  So why would the show offer it as a prize to someone who either (a) doesn't need it or (b) wouldn't have to pay for it?

Probably because they're being compensated from the company (for the advertising) for having done so.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 02:10:03 PM »

CBSpromoman wrote:

JohnHolder wrote:

Probably because they're being compensated from the company (for the advertising) for having done so.

I'm sure that's true.  I just wonder why the show would think it was desirable as a prize.

John