Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 4/1/2014 (TPiR 2014 April Fools Special with Craig Ferguson)  (Read 23505 times)

Offline tnpir2014

• Walking the Golden Road
What was so wrong with Geoff and Secretariat? Come on, it's one day. If we can't enjoy this kinda of gag for one day, then I don't know.

They said the same thing around here about Jack Wagner the first time he was on the show.  We didn't enjoy him for one day, we didn't enjoy him for more than one day.

Some things are like Brussels sprouts--you don't have to try them twice to know you don't like them.

Offline wildbill0962

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Golden Road's Unofficial Official Bracketologist
Was it really that bad? I got a kick out of it. It's April Fools. It's meant to be silly.
Pete Carroll has the biggest balls in the world.

10th place in 2010-2011 CSS
16th place in 2011-2012 CSS
17th place in 2012-2013 CSS

B/R Profile: http://bleacherreport.com/users/1048731-bill-riccette
Follow me on Twitter for my take on the Eagles, NCAA Tournament Bracketology and various sports topics @Bill_Riccette https://twitter.com/Bill_Riccette
http://billriccettenfl.wordpress.com/

Offline steven.jordan.332

• In Contestant's Row
  • first time player
I'm watching later tonight, will express my thoughts later on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tnpir2014

Was it really that bad? I got a kick out of it. It's April Fools. It's meant to be silly.

Mimi on the show is silly.  The notion of swapping hosts is silly.  "10,000th" was silly.  Union 33 Rachel was silly.  Craig Ferguson jumping about after drinking too much coffee is just annoying.

If he'd been a little more tempered (okay, a LOT more), this show would've been a smashing success.  That said, he did seem to be genuinely enjoying himself--I wish I could say that about Drew on a regular basis.

Offline William

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Thanks for the memories, Bob!
"10,000th" was silly.

While the whole "10,000" gag itself was rather odd, that episode as a whole remains one of the best, if not the best, post-Bob episodes of the show.
$1,016,378 cash & prizes given away by me in my HYOs!

Offline tnpir2014

While the whole "10,000" gag itself was rather odd, that episode as a whole remains one of the best, if not the best, post-Bob episodes of the show.

It was odd, no question; I laughed at it mostly because it was such an obvious fake-out gag.  (Would've laughed even harder if they'd picked a random number, something like "12,864th" or something like that, but still.)

• In Contestant's Row
  • first time player
Tnpir2014, in response to the PM, I need time to watch today's program before I come back and leave a substantive thought

Offline tnpir2014

Tnpir2014, in response to the PM, I need time to watch today's program before I come back and leave a substantive thought

Steven, I understand that.  My point was simply that there's no need to tell us you'll watch it later and share your thoughts then; just watch it later, and when you've watched it, then share your thoughts.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 04:29:19 PM by tnpir2014 »

• In Contestant's Row
  • first time player
That is what I was getting at sir, no I'm not intending on sharing every thought I have anymore because that isn't how things work on here, it isn't the right way to do things.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
It was odd, no question; I laughed at it mostly because it was such an obvious fake-out gag.

Apparently not that obvious.  I still read several accounts of that episode referring to it as the "10,000th show," as though the gag was supposed to be that specific.

Offline tnpir2014

Apparently not that obvious.  I still read several accounts of that episode referring to it as the "10,000th show," as though the gag was supposed to be that specific.

I guess it was obvious to me since I knew it hadn't been long enough since #5,000 to be 10,000 shows (plus they didn't throw in "Our 10,000th show" during the opening as I recall).  That's why I said a more random number would've been funnier.

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
Best April Fool's episode EVER!

I don't want to give anybody any ideas... but can we have Craig, Geoff, Secretariat, and Shadoe guest more often?
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
That is what I was getting at sir, no I'm not intending on sharing every thought I have anymore because that isn't how things work on here, it isn't the right way to do things.

The point trying to be made is that you don't post that you'll watch it later. Some people here base their posts off a recap, but if you aren't ready to post, wait till you can.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline Mr. Weatherman

I agree with others about it being unfair to compare one day of hosting/announcing to several years' worth, but...

Craig did a really impressive job today. I'm sure he took a crash course in Price is Right before hosting, but there was a huge difference between his performance today and Drew's performance early on in Season 36. Heck, there was a huge difference between him and Drew just in general. He was very over-the-top in his delivery, but that was to be expected. Otherwise, he was awesome with contestant interaction, and he seemed like a pro when it came to handling the overbid in the Showcase, something Drew isn't all that great that. He just fit right in with the show and kept it moving at a good pace, as if he had been hosting it for a while and not just that once. Editing probably helped, and for once, I might actually have to give Mr. Richards credit for the production job, as I'm sure this special was no easy task. I'll have more to say on that in a moment...

Shadoe Stevens... It was almost surreal to hear him announce. Yes, he was a little shaky at times, especially with a few of his "Come on Downs," but with a little more practice, he would make a hell of an announcer. Sure, he is no Rod Roddy or Johnny Olsen, but his voice has that same booming power, for lack of a better word, that has been lacking since Rod's passing. And the fact that he was dressed like Rod was just the icing on the cake.

I also have to give Geoffrey Peterson credit for the few announcing roles that he had. His voice actor (Josh Robert Thompson) could also certainly announce for the show. I wouldn't go as far as to say he is better than Shadoe, as Shadoe had some really good moments today, but I would really like to hear him announce an entire show sometime (as himself, not Geoff).

Secretariat's role was pretty hilarious. From the mic delivery to modeling the prizes, Secretariat did about as good of job as any horse you'll ever see model a prize. :P

Now onto the show itself...

Mike, well done. You put together a show that easily could have been 6/6 perfect had Squeeze Play not proven to be the Achilles Heel at the end, and even that didn't seem too difficult (that 1 clearly didn't look right to me; too bad the contestant couldn't hear me yelling). Lucky $even was set up properly for the occasion...well, pretty much all of the games were set up properly. Great job on that. Also, I'm sure it was no easy task having a new host, announcer, horse and animatronic robot (also serving as an announcer at times) in the mix, so great job there as well.

The show itself was an interesting experiment. On a day-to-day basis, I'll take Drew over Craig, simply because Craig just doesn't fit this role very well (over-the-top voice, comedic style, etc). On the announcer front, George better look out. Shadoe is a much better announcer, and so is "Geoff." It'll be interesting to see what happens now that both of them have been given a shot at announcing the show, Shadoe in particular. This wasn't a very good day for George, I'll say that much.

All in all, as crazy as the idea was, I wouldn't mind seeing it happen again...however, I'm sure it won't.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
On the announcer front, George better look out. Shadoe is a much better announcer, and so is "Geoff." It'll be interesting to see what happens now that both of them have been given a shot at announcing the show, Shadoe in particular. This wasn't a very good day for George, I'll say that much.

No, Shadoe is not going to replace George. (Despite how much many on here want that.)
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz