Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 4/3/2014  (Read 7281 times)

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
TPiR Recap - 4/3/2014
« on: April 03, 2014, 01:38:04 PM »
G-R Recap Test
Episode #6585K
Aired – 4/3/2014; Taped – 12/4/2013
Models: Amber Lancaster, Rachel Reynolds
Microphone Handoff: Amber
First Four Contestant Seating: Left to Right

First IUFB: Television (46in LED 1080P HDTV with wide color enhancer plus, HDMI connections); ARP: $1,000 (Rachel)

RASHADA DAVID RODGER CLAIRE
695 700 701 750

The winner is...
CLAIRE

Claire is playing That's Too Much for a 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 (4.3L V6 engine, 6-speed AT, convenience package, cargo box, LED lighting) (Amber).

$18,156
$19,334
$20,442
$21,500
$22,780
$23,891
$ $ $
$ $ $
$ $ $
$ $ $
ARP:
$25,480
LOSS
$18,156
$19,334
$20,442
$21,500
$22,780
$23,891
$25,120
$26,451
$ $ $
$ $ $

Second IUFB: Pair of Surfboards (Santa Cruz: 8ft and 8f6t6in + accessories and waterproof Hi-Def cameras); ARP: $2,056 (Rachel)

RASHADA DAVID RODGER CATHERINE
1300 1700 1500 1200

The winner is...
DAVID

David is playing SQUEEZE PLAY for a trip to Costa Rica (RT Coach to Liberia, CR for a 7d surf camp at Witch's Rock Surf Camp + accomodations, daily breakfast, lessons) (Amber).

The 0, 4, or 1 is incorrect.

5 0 4 1 7

David removes the 0...

$ 5 4 1 7
$5417

WIN

Third IUFB: Cookware Set (Swiss Diamond: Eco-Friendly 9-piece collection); ARP: $900 (Amber)

RASHADA YVONNE RODGER CATHERINE
1 675 800 750

The winner is...
RODGER

Rodger is playing 1/2-Off for a chance to win $10,000!

Inside one of these boxes in $10,000! The rest have nothing. Rodger can eliminate some of the boxes by guessing which item is half-off it's ARP.

VEGETABLE
SLICER
$25 $10

PEDOMETER

He picks the pedometer...

VEGETABLE
SLICER
$25 $10 $10

Wrong! None of the boxes are elminated...

HAIR
DRYER
$16 $100

WATERPROOF
GPS

He picks the hair dryer...

$16 $16 $100

WATERPROOF
GPS

Candlesticks $150 $50

PANINI
PRESS

He picks the candlesticks...

$150 $150 $50

PANINI
PRESS

Box picked:

Inside the box:

$$

WHAT A PICK!

SCSD #1

Contestant Winnings Spin 1 Spin 2 TOTAL RESULT
Claire $1,000 40 5 .45
David $7,473 90 STAY .90 *SHOWCASE*
Rodger $10,900 45 25 1.00

Fourth IUFB: Laptop Computer (Sony: 15.5in PC with 12GB memory, 750GB HD, bluetooth speaker); ARP: $1,200 (Rachel and Amber)

RASHADA YVONNE MELBA CATHERINE
1000 1001 700 800

The winner is...
YVONNE

Yvonne is playing Easy As 1-2-3 for designer accessories (Kate Spade: 3 handbags, wallet and animal-print heels, perfume) (Manuela), a foosball table (Escalade Sports: 4 balls) (Amber and Rachel) and a washer and dryer (Steam Washer and Gas Dryer) (Rachel).

ACCESSORIES
$2163
FOOSBALL TABLE
$600
WASHER & DRYER
$308

LOSS

Fifth IUFB: Necklace (Elisa Ilana: 14ct gold filled accents); ARP: $2,400 (Rachel)

RASHADA ARTYOM MELBA CATHERINE
600 750 1000 1300

The winner is...
CATHERINE

Catherine is playing Push Over for a motorcycle (Honda: Shadow with 5-peed transmission, 749cc liquid cooled engine) (Amber).

3 6 9 8 2 4 0 7 1        
  MOTORCYCLE

Catherine pushes the blocks to

3 6 9 8 2 4
  MOTORCYCLE

ARP be...

3 6 9 8 2 4
  8 2 4 0

LOSS

We have this again. Rashada has been in Contestant's Row the entire show. She bid $600 in a strange location last time up, so will she escape or is a trip to Arcola, Indiana in the future?

Sixth IUFB: PlayStation (Sony: PS4 with console, 2 DualShock4 controllers, 5 games); ARP: $750 (Amber)

RASHADA ARTYOM MELBA KATRINA
699 1 800 560

The winner is...
RASHADA

Rashada escapes and is playing Pass the Buck for a 2014 Jeep Compass Sport (2.0L engine, 5-speed MT, value group; ARP: $21,085) (Rachel).

1) Lay's French Onion Dip

ARP: $4.49
2) VO5 Shampoo
$
ARP: $1.19
3) Q-Tips
$
ARP: $3.19
4) Heinz Cocktail Sauce
ARP: $3.69
Rashada chooses number 2.
LOSE EVERYTHING
Rashada chooses number 4.
LOSE EVERYTHING
$1,000
LOSS. Rest of the board was:
$5,000
LOSE EVERYTHING
LOSE EVERYTHING
$1,000
CAR
$3,000

SCSD #2

Contestant Winnings Spin 1 Spin 2 TOTAL RESULT
Yvonne $1,200 40 80 1.20
OVER
Rashada $1,750 10 45 .55 *SHOWCASE*
Catherine $2,400 35 85 1.20
OVER

THE FABULOUS SHOWCASES

David has the honors...

SC1 - David

SO GREAT, YOU'LL SPIN
  • Television (70in LED SmartTV with enhanced refresh rate) (Rachel)
  • Trip to Santa Monica (RT Limo to Santa Monica for a 2n stay at a luxury hotel + carousel ride) (Rachel)
  • 2014 VOlkswagen Jetta S (2L engine, 5-speed MT, First Aid Kit) (Amber)
Bid: $25,000

SC2 - Rashada

JUICING
  • Kitchen Appliances (Gas convection range, French-door fridge, built-in dishwasher, juicer) (Amber)
  • Home Gym (TuffStuff with 200lb weight stack) (Rachel)
  • $2,000 for personal trainer (Rachel)
  • Trip to Thailand (RT Coach to Puket, TH for a 6n stay at Sunsuri Hotel Phuket + daily breakfast, yoga class, spa treatments) (Rachel)
Bid: $23,000
David
$25,000
JETTA
$21,430
JETTA
Rashada
$23,000
THAILAND
$20,643
THAILAND

Results: 2 out of 6
Winnings: $24,723
Biggest Winner: Rodger ($10,900)

This Recap is solely intended for the purpose of Golden-Road.net.
Reproduction of this without authorized consent is prohibited.

Recap produced by Roadgeek Adam
Templates by Visualbasicwizard and WhammyPower788
CSS work provided by cu2010.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 02:01:05 PM by Roadgeek Adam »
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline MannyCav

• Walking the Golden Road
  • My forum signature vanished. PM if you have info.
    • Buy Video Games for Consoles and PC - From Japan, Korea and other Regions>—This is my Play-Asia affiliate link for video game shopping.
Re: TPiR Recap - 4/3/2014
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 01:40:12 PM »
This makes the second day in a row that the show started with a quick-playing game for a nice (by the show's current standards) car, only to have the price set up in a place few would have looked for it. Over $25,000 for a bare bones truck with the price in position eight isn't too far off at all from yesterday's never-press-the-red-button, do-nothing-and-you-win Range Game setup.

You know... today's Half-Off really got me to thinking about something. Had Bob been hosting that segment, he naturally probably would have acknowledged the long road ahead in a one-out-of-sixteen situation, but he also would have built up the excitement of a potential win for all it was worth. He still would have given the moment the due suspense, excitement, and attention it deserved, regardless of the disappointment preceding it and the long odds of the win. Think about how everything in the studio would have blown up after all of that build-up, only to actually get the long-odds win nobody would have thought would have happened!

Drew... after the grocery part wipeout, seemed genuinely disinterested in the rest of the playing. He just muddled along and tried to get the segment over as fast as possible to get the show as far away as possible from the 'inevitable' disappointment of the loss. He practically rushed through the "3-2-1-go" segment, the contestant lifted the box, then BOOM, SIXTEEN-THOUSAND DOLLARS! It was nice to see Drew give a genuine reaction to surprise, but instead of getting excited over the heat of the moment with pent up suspense over the period of a good pre-reveal and reveal, as well as the reaction to the aftermath of that reveal, I was left with a brief, quick moment of, "What in the blazes happened?" that fizzled off a lot quicker than it had any business doing. I did not get to savor the moment like I wanted to. The second such win in the Drew era should have left a stronger impression on me than this.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 01:51:40 PM by MannyCav »
b]*This signature has been removed by an anonymous admin without sending me a full copy of the signature, pointing out what was in rules violation, or an explanation or message to me of any kind. Answers to this mystery would be appreciated. Feel free to PM me.*[/b]

Offline GSB92

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 01:44:34 PM »
Wait, was That's Too Much really the same price as the car as it was on the board, or is it an error on Adam's part?

Anyway, what a lucky pick on Half-off!

Offline MannyCav

• Buy Video Games for Consoles and PC - From Japan, Korea and other Regions>—This is my Play-Asia affiliate link for video game shopping.
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 01:47:26 PM »
Wait, was That's Too Much really the same price as the car as it was on the board, or is it an error on Adam's part?
I'm very positive that the price of the truck didn't match anything on the board (I'm sure it was $25-something), and Adam or his template just duplicated an error made in a previous That's Too Bad recap.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 01:50:01 PM by MannyCav »
b]*This signature has been removed by an anonymous admin without sending me a full copy of the signature, pointing out what was in rules violation, or an explanation or message to me of any kind. Answers to this mystery would be appreciated. Feel free to PM me.*[/b]

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 02:01:27 PM »
I'm very positive that the price of the truck didn't match anything on the board (I'm sure it was $25-something), and Adam or his template just duplicated an error made in a previous That's Too Bad recap.

$25,480 was ARP.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 02:02:25 PM »
After that "gimme" win on Squeeze and that miracle win on 1/2 Off, the rest of the show kinda went downhill. And That's Too Eighth strikes again..........but not in a good way, obviously. What was unusual is the production crew put the car in #5 on PTB.

Also, I must be absent when they decide to give the "go-ahead" to make a Thailand trip unimaginably cheap..........Either way, that was cold. Not just cold, but Winter Storm _______ (Insert any Winter Storm name this season on the line) cold.

THE BOTTOM LINE:

Nothing comes good from a budget-mode show. Especially, this one today. Let's hope tomorrow will fare better.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 02:14:04 PM by PriceBusterXL »

Offline MannyCav

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 02:15:57 PM »
What was unusual is the production crew put the car in #5 on PTB.
If I may ask: What's unusual about the car being behind #5 in Pass the Buck?
Nothing comes good from a budget-mode show. Especially, this one today. Let's hope tomorrow will fare better.
The staff's current idea of a budget show is rather different from the old regime's idea. The current staff likes to make games harder to borderline-obnoxious levels, then offset that fact by either offering a semi-upscale car that probably won't be won because of what I mentioned, or offering an expensive $15k-$20k-$25k trip that, even if it's won, will likely be forfeited, anyway, so the staff wins pretty much no matter what.
He practically rushed through the "3-2-1-go" segment, the contestant lifted the box, then BOOM, SIXTEEN-THOUSAND DOLLARS!
I've got to get my mind off of that It's In the Bag thread. :)

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 02:22:50 PM »

Normally they "protect" a win by putting the Car behind #1 or #6. Putting it behind #5 leaves it open to be won more often than had it been behind #1/#6, so it was seemingly setup to be won.... Except for the fact that the GP's were pretty difficult as usual, so who knows what they wanted.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 02:33:27 PM »
Normally they "protect" a win by putting the Car behind #1 or #6. Putting it behind #5 leaves it open to be won more often than had it been behind #1/#6, so it was seemingly setup to be won.... Except for the fact that the GP's were pretty difficult as usual, so who knows what they wanted.
Exactly, and the small prizes on 1/2 Off were just as difficult as PTB, if not moreso...........So, unless we have the power to read someone's minds, there's really no telling what they were trying to do.

Offline MannyCav

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 02:33:58 PM »
That actually sounds like something said about the previous 1/2 Off grocery wipeout winner--the difference with today's playing being that the small prizes were just as hard, but the ten-thousand dollars was definitely not in the big, obvious box 7.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 02:39:07 PM by MannyCav »

Offline Schfifty

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 02:48:19 PM »
The highlight of this show was undoubtedly the 1/2 Off win. When he wiped out on the SPs, I thought, "Oh, great. Another wipeout." But when he lifted the box, we were all shocked in the chatroom. Still, a fantastic win to a fairly lackluster show!

I'm getting a bit fed up with the video game prizes they're offering on the show. In particular, I don't like the package they offered today. I understand that they're offering them in order to attract their target demographic, but it's starting to become overkill. It makes it seem like video games are replacing pinball machines. For pete's sake, can they start offering those again?

Probably because this was the 5th show in a production week? Never mind, question answered. Although, it still sounds reasonable to have the car behind #5 for that reason. Nice avatar, BTW!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 02:54:42 PM by Schfifty »
"I think everybody's weird. We should all celebrate our individuality and not be embarrassed or ashamed of it.”  — Johnny Depp

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 02:50:16 PM »
IMO only the Showcases today were truly budget mode, including a staycation in the first one along with a big screen TV and VW that are easy to overprice, and the second one basically a modern version of a Splendido with nothing but home goods and a trip. The rest wasn't too bad, though mostly foiled by lack of pricing knowledge. It appears that That's Too Much was loss due to forgetting the convience package and AT included in the price. Push Over was a bit tricky since Honda motorcycles can be cheap and $6982 could be reasonable, but another zero rule was missed and $9824 is too high for a Honda. Eazy was forked on the accessories; Kate Spade is sold at Macy's, not Neiman-Marcus or Bloomingdales! Pass the Buck was fairly setup, and remembering that V05 is sold at Dollar Tree, wasn't surprised for the trap there. But a grand is better than nothing, and it was nice to hear the new Bean Stalker again. However, there were two good moments. Nice for Roger to overcome poor pricing and tough SPs in 1/2 Off, including that same pedometer that would later trip a future player. Then, what cost us the perfect show on April Fools by not picking the 0 was averted here, and it makes sense since that would seem a bit cheap for Costa Rica. Also, nice for Drew not explaining that That's Too Much is a hard game.

Show Grade: C
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline TPIRighteous

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 12:55:09 AM »
1/2 Off... cripes. Can Drew count to 3 any faster in this game? Also, how does "I'll be 75 this year" turn into saying "birthday" a thousand times? Get off the birthdays, Drew.

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2014, 01:27:09 AM »
That's Too Much: I don't like seeing such a difficult game played 1st. Too bad the Chevy Silverado wasn't won. That TV was a nice contestant's row prize.

Squeeze Play: Easy win.

1/2 OFF: OMG!!!!!! A win with 16 boxes in play! TOTALLY AWESOME BABY! 14 isn't a box that would often be selected with all 16 boxes in play. The highlight of the day.

Easy as 1,2,3: Tough setup on choosing between the accessories and the washer/dryer set. 50/50 crapshoot ends in disappointing loss,

Pushover: I though that was too expensive for the Motorcycle. It was between $6982 and $8240.

Pass the Buck: Too bad neither the Jeep Compass nor a higher money amount was won. At least it wasn't double lose everything,

Showcases: Bummer to end with a double over.

Overall: With no cars won and a double overbid in the showcase this wasn't a very good 2 for 6 show. The great $10000 win in $1/2 off saved it from being a bad show. Sheer luck saved this episode from being a bad 1. Had any box other than 14 been picked this would've been a bad 1 for 6 show.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2014, 05:42:06 PM »
Holy good Lord was 1/2 Off awesome.  The setup was completely horrendous, but the win was one of the coolest things I've ever seen on the show.  That was a Dobstopper if ever there was one.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.