Author Topic: Weather Channel, DirecTV kiss and make up  (Read 2713 times)

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
Weather Channel, DirecTV kiss and make up
« on: April 08, 2014, 04:58:27 PM »
The Weather Channel and DirecTV have come to a new agreement and the station will return to DirecTV's channel roster tomorrow around 11 AM Eastern. Weather Channel, besides not getting the per-subscriber fee increase they wanted, will slice their "reality" shows by half on weekdays and make the channel available on wireless devices provided the users can prove they are subscribers.

WeatherNation, which replaced Weather Channel on ch. 362, will remain on DirecTV, probably on 361.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 05:00:46 PM by Ccook »
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
Re: Weather Channel, DirecTV kiss and make up
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 05:30:18 PM »
WeatherNation sucked.  I really missed TWC, despite its major flaw (TV shows in place of real-time weather).
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 06:01:39 PM »
So basically, I, as a DirecTV customer, am getting everything I wanted? I had lost faith, but the system does indeed still work!

And I'll be able to stream TWC from wherever I'm at! The weather nerd in me is freaking out right now! :-D
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline tnpir2014

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 06:02:35 PM »
The Weather Channel...will slice their "reality" shows by half on weekdays

I've never really watched TWC all that much, but I do have to wonder what sorts of "reality" programming a channel that's all about weather could have on a regular basis.

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 06:33:33 PM »
I've never really watched TWC all that much, but I do have to wonder what sorts of "reality" programming a channel that's all about weather could have on a regular basis.

Coast Guard Alaska
Deadliest Space Weather
Forecasting the End
Freaks of Nature
Full Force Nature
It Could Happen Tomorrow
Prospectors
Secrets of the Earth
Strangest Weather on Earth
The Tipping Points
Weather Caught on Camera
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 06:41:43 PM »
Well, it's nice to know that this didn't linger any longer than it should be. I have heard about WeatherNation, mostly from hush-tones, and I've been told that it looked like The Weather Channel if it was on a tight budget or something.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 06:44:23 PM by PriceBusterXL »

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 07:11:17 PM »
WeatherNation sucked.  I really missed TWC, despite its major flaw (TV shows in place of real-time weather).

What I don't like about WeatherNation is the taped forecasts replayed multiple times in a few hour span. I do like they are available over the air in some markets, and actually discuss weather without overhyping it.

Offline TheGRVOfLightning

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • This is my favourite game.
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 08:34:50 PM »
This is why TWC DIDN'T get named Worst Company in America.
My sports teams are

AFL (Australia): North Melbourne, NRL: Melbourne Storm, NHL: Anaheim Ducks, AHL: San Diego Gulls, NBA: Los Angeles Lakers, NFL: San Francisco 49ers, MLB: Boston Red Sox, MLS: LA Galaxy, Super Rugby: Melbourne Rebels, Big Bash League: Melbourne Stars, A-League: Melbourne Victory, ABL (Australian Baseball League): Melbourne Aces, AIHL (Australian Ice Hockey League): Melbourne Ice, NBL (National Basketball League [Australia]): Melbourne United, Premier League: Manchester United

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 09:21:50 PM »
When WeatherNation originally came to DirecTV's lineup shortly before TWC was dropped, I found it to be a nice alternative to the latter, particularly when that other channel was airing reality programming when all I wanted was to watch the weather happening now. Once TWC was dropped and WN was left as the sole weather channel, the novelty quickly wore off. From streamed field reports in other cities by their local affiliate partners, to their cheap-looking graphics, to last, but certainly not least, their continuous,  taped weather reports with not a trace of live programing,  I was quickly turned off by this "replacement" channel. A few days ago, however, I tuned in to WN to see if anything had changed, and I was quite shocked by what I found. They were actually reporting live on severe weather that was occurring that day, including tracking a few tornado warnings that were in effect. I'm not sure if this was just a special instance because of the severe weather, but if they are at least trying to do more live programing, then I'm more than willing to give them another chance, even with TWC back in the mix.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 10:43:53 PM »
WeatherNation is on 11.2 here (subchannel of WXIA/ch. 11) and they provide the local forecast and local weather inserts from WXIA. But we get the national WN feed on DirecTV, which does not carry any of the local subchannels. DirecTV does provide the interactive local five-day forecast by pressing the red button on the remote (when prompted).
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 10:47:02 PM by Ccook »
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 01:44:53 AM »
DirecTV does provide the interactive local five-day forecast by pressing the red button on the remote (when prompted).

The Weather Channel used to provide DirecTV the forecasts for that interactive feature until they were removed. Shortly thereafter, WeatherNation began providing the forecasts, thus restoring the feature after a short hiatus. It will be interesting to see if that remains the case after TWC is reinstated, especially considering that the interactive feature went as far as to display a true, localized version of "Local on the 8's" for TWC. It wasn't nearly as good as the cable version (or at least what used to be the cable version; the current version is terrible), but it was still better than having to suffer through the generic national forecast during what was supposed to be a "local" forecast.

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 01:58:19 AM »
The Weather Channel used to provide DirecTV the forecasts for that interactive feature until they were removed. Shortly thereafter, WeatherNation began providing the forecasts, thus restoring the feature after a short hiatus. It will be interesting to see if that remains the case after TWC is reinstated, especially considering that the interactive feature went as far as to display a true, localized version of "Local on the 8's" for TWC. It wasn't nearly as good as the cable version (or at least what used to be the cable version; the current version is terrible), but it was still better than having to suffer through the generic national forecast during what was supposed to be a "local" forecast.
That's one of the things that hasn't changed (and may never changed) about The Weather Channel. The Local On The 8s really gives me the info I need about the weather in my area..........For me, I think the cable version of that feature was better and more to the point than the DirecTV version.