Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 5/2/2014  (Read 14155 times)

Offline Josh444

• TPiR Alumnus
Re: TPiR Recap - 5/2/2014
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2014, 10:20:35 PM »
When I was a contestant, I could barely hear George describe my prize. While George was describing it, Drew also described the basics of it one-on-one. To be honest, I was so caught up in the moment I could barely even think of the small details of my trip.

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2014, 10:32:03 PM »
I bet for anyone who do become a contestant on Price, it can be nerve-racking at times, mostly due to the peanut gallery's overzealous shouting and whatnot. Funny enough, a good amount of contestants sometimes need to rely on the audience to help them out. However, that can, at times, do more harm than good if they ruin a contestant's chances in winning.

I do agree that it can be quite noisy at times (Thank you, Jack Wagner  :P), but it is The Price Is Right, though. Who doesn't get excited over a game show that has been around for more than 30 years? Although, I probably wouldn't mind too much if it was toned down a little bit (Again.......Thank you, Jack Wagner  :P), so that way the contestant can be able to focus on the prizes that George are describing.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 10:37:54 PM by PriceBusterXL »

Offline GSB92

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2014, 10:44:59 PM »
Maintaining the budget.................Or bad luck.

(Reaction to the picture)

Anyway. This week has been lackluster with only a 6-21 record. Let's hope next week is better.

Offline steven.jordan.332

• In Contestant's Row
  • first time player
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2014, 01:39:47 AM »
I feel very optimistic a better week will come next week, more winning will be done

Online blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2014, 02:47:04 AM »
...and of course there's rewrites.
Define "rewrites".

• In Contestant's Row
  • first time player
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2014, 08:58:01 AM »
Various forms of editing is what I mean by rewrites

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tnpir2014

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2014, 09:02:50 AM »
Various forms of editing is what I mean by rewrites

Define "various forms of editing."

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2014, 10:51:12 AM »
Define "various forms of editing."

Pretty sure he's referring to when they decide to redo a certain part of the show after the fact so it comes off better for the TV audience.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline tnpir2014

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2014, 11:06:59 AM »
Pretty sure he's referring to when they decide to redo a certain part of the show after the fact so it comes off better for the TV audience.

I'd like to hear steven's definition.  If I heard "editing" by itself, then I'd know that meant that something was edited out of the TV broadcast.  If I heard "re-shoot," then I'd know multiple takes of something were required to get it right for the TV audience.

But steven said "rewrites," which implies to me that prize copy was rewritten after the fact, which seems to me like it would be a potential S&P issue.  "Various forms of editing" could be interpreted any number of ways after that, so I'd like to know with precision what steven means.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 11:09:33 AM by tnpir2014 »

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2014, 11:50:34 AM »
I'd like to hear steven's definition.  If I heard "editing" by itself, then I'd know that meant that something was edited out of the TV broadcast.  If I heard "re-shoot," then I'd know multiple takes of something were required to get it right for the TV audience.

But steven said "rewrites," which implies to me that prize copy was rewritten after the fact, which seems to me like it would be a potential S&P issue.  "Various forms of editing" could be interpreted any number of ways after that, so I'd like to know with precision what steven means.

I think you're reading way to much into specific word choice and nitpicking, he was referring to my post and clearly was just talking about how they re-shoot some things after the fact. He wasn't asserting they would manipulate prize copies to cheat contestants and violate S&P.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline tnpir2014

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2014, 12:06:04 PM »
I think you're reading way to much into specific word choice and nitpicking, he was referring to my post and clearly was just talking about how they re-shoot some things after the fact. He wasn't asserting they would manipulate prize copies to cheat contestants and violate S&P.

I'm not "nitpicking," all I'm doing is asking steven to tell us what he meant.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 12:11:04 PM by tnpir2014 »

• In Contestant's Row
  • first time player
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2014, 12:32:51 PM »
What i mean by rewrites is, The Bob Barker Studio is a generally difficult environment to hear things being explained. 

The key to playing all 6 games successfully in a given episode is listening to clues that may help the contestant win his or her pricing game, not listening very often has cost entire games for contestants and the game would be over for him or her.

A script could be rewritten live, or a different version of a script could be presented for the home audience.

Im not asserting that a prize copy could have the description manipulated because its a violation of standards and practices, Many other game shows have gone through S&P violations, or have been involved in scandals aside from The Price Is Right.

What i am asserting is a lot can be presented after the fact, thus the requirement for a lot to be repeated for us the home audience.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2014, 12:38:31 PM »
I'm not "nitpicking," all I'm doing is asking steven to tell us what he meant.

Alright, calm down. Second, Vader has the right to his opinion and doesn't have to right to wait till Steven says something. He's not saying you're wrong, he's just saying you're looking too much into it. Just a piece of advice, that's all. We're all guilty of looking too much into stuff.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline tnpir2014

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2014, 12:56:22 PM »
What I mean by rewrites is, The Bob Barker Studio is a generally difficult environment to hear things being explained.

Due to audience noise and applause, yes it is, very much so.

The key to playing all 6 games successfully in a given episode is listening to clues that may help the contestant win his or her pricing game, not listening very often has cost entire games for contestants and the game would be over for him or her.

Personally, I'd be hesitant to call the prize descriptions "clues" these days--most of them are so bland they don't really tell the player enough to be useful.  Car descriptions are about the only exception; they can at least still be counted on to give you all the details.

A script could be rewritten live, or a different version of a script could be presented for the home audience.

That's what I thought you were getting at, and I can't see this as anything but an S&P issue (except in the case of the discovery of a factual error of course).  Even in the case of a factual error, it seems like they'd simply present the show as is, and make an announcement during the credits about it, describing the mistake and that they'd given the prize to the player.

I'm not asserting that a prize copy could have the description manipulated because its a violation of standards and practices, many other game shows have gone through S&P violations, or have been involved in scandals aside from The Price Is Right.

Except that if you say "a script could be rewritten" or "a different version of a script could be presented for the home audience," that still says the prize copy is different.  I really don't understand this--either prize copy is being changed or it's not.  (Either that or I'm misunderstanding your use of "script" here.)

What I am asserting is a lot can be presented after the fact, thus the requirement for a lot to be repeated for us the home audience.

So, just making sure I'm understanding your meaning, you're suggesting that something could be re-shot later (be it a pickup, a reveal, etc.) due to the initial take during the taping not being spot-on.  If so, then yes, not only is that possible, it's actually becoming an all-too-regular feature of tapings.  This results in extra studio rental time, and I have a sneaking suspicion that that's hurting the prize budget.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 01:01:04 PM by tnpir2014 »

• In Contestant's Row
  • first time player
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2014, 01:28:51 PM »
Yes tnpir2014, that is exactly what i am getting at. When things are presented after the fact, this is where the problems start in production.

I agree it is becoming too regular, and mike and the staff should do something about that before they actually commit an S&P violation.

Yes, I am suggesting something can be re-shot later due to the initial take not being spot-on the first time. if this isn't corrected it will become worse than it already is.