Author Topic: Wink Martindale's Awesome Non-Price Clips and Episodes: The Ongoing Thread  (Read 166047 times)

Offline jimlange

• 2/20/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • I am a TPIR Greek GOD!!
And this awesome week begins!!  Here is an episode of The Mad Dash from Canada hosted by Pierre LaLonde in 1979.  Enjoy!

« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 01:46:49 PM by jimlange »

Offline Borusa

• In Contestant's Row
I can't wait to see the Gambit finale. I hope it's posted this week (he got the 4200 likes).

Online blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
I can't wait to see the Gambit finale. I hope it's posted this week (he got the 4200 likes).
Per a post on his Facebook page, the Gambit episode being posted (may or may not be the finale, but is from the final week) will go online on Thursday.

Offline jimlange

• 2/20/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
It will most likely be December 9th, 1976, the day before the finale.  The Betamax tape he found had the final two shows from December 9th and December 10th.  But today we have an episode of "Big Game" which is the first game show hosted by Tom Kennedy!!

Offline jimlange

• 2/20/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
And here it is!!  An episode of Tom Kennedy's first game show, "Big Game"!!  ENJOY!!

Offline gshowguy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Very interesting variant on Battleship with animals!

Let's hope the PETA people don't attack Wink for showing this off...  :lol: :lol:

Offline jimlange

• 2/20/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
Continuing this awesome week, here is the "Puzzlers" pilot hosted by Pat Sajak in 1980.  Enjoy!!

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
Well, the set looks awesome with the jigsaw puzzle theme, and the music from Mindreaders is welcome.  I liked those check mark overlays in the Capture the Category round.

However, the whole game seems disjointed.  Too many puzzle types and gameplay elements clash and vie for attention. The Double Puzzles seemed confusing at first, and takes careful study to figure out what the heck is going on.  Revealing the letters could've been faster if they did it like Now You See It, with Pat saying "Letter" every second.

Some of the puzzles in Capture the Category were creative and would later spawn other game shows (like Bumper Stumpers and Catch Phrase).  But I think this would've been better if the format focused on a few types of puzzles rather than a variety of mini games.  Also, if this show had sold, I wonder if they would've had to come up with a rotation of categories to make the game seem fresh.

Thirty seconds seems very unforgiving in the first part of Photo Finish.  It's already harsh that a contestant can't return to a previous photo, so give them a chance to win as much as they can before the second part.  Maybe 45 seconds for part one?

I wonder if each episode would've been self-contained or they would've straddled, had this pilot sold.

Pat I think was a bit too humorous here, trying to crack a joke at every opportunity.  However, at least his humor was appropriate for each segment and didn't grind the game to a halt.

With some tweaking, this could've worked.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 03:00:11 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Is there a full version of the theme somewhere online, somewhere like TelevisionTunes.com? The intro was cool.

Well, the set looks awesome with the jigsaw puzzle theme, and the music from Mindreaders is welcome.  I liked those check mark overlays in the Capture the Category round.

However, the whole game seems disjointed.  Too many puzzle types and gameplay elements clash and vie for attention. The Double Puzzles seemed confusing at first, and takes careful study to figure out what the heck is going on.  Revealing the letters could've been faster if they did it like Now You See It, with Pat saying "Letter" every second.

Some of the puzzles in Capture the Category were creative and would later spawn other game shows (like Bumper Stumpers and Catch Phrase).  But I think this would've been better if the format focused on a few types of puzzles rather than a variety of mini games.  Also, if this show had sold, I wonder if they would've had to come up with a rotation of categories to make the game seem fresh.

Thirty seconds seems very unforgiving in the first part of Photo Finish.  It's already harsh that a contestant can't return to a previous photo, so give them a chance to win as much as they can before the second part.  Maybe 45 seconds for part one?

I wonder if each episode would've been self-contained or they would've straddled, had this pilot sold.

Pat I think was a bit too humorous here, trying to crack a joke at every opportunity.  However, at least his humor was appropriate for each segment and didn't grind the game to a halt.

With some tweaking, this could've worked.

I totally agree with this. Maybe 40 seconds, for the first part of the bonus round, and probably 20 seconds for the 2nd part.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
And here it is!!  An episode of Tom Kennedy's first game show, "Big Game"!!  ENJOY!!

It could have maybe worked as a Saturday morning children's show ... y'know, kids aged 10-13 answering relatively easy questions and then playing this Battleship variant on a 6-by-6 board with five animals. Two of two spaces each (maybe a zebra and a hippopotamus), two of three spaces (I thought maybe the elephant and the lion) each and then the big four-space animal (the alligator). Top earnings would be $5,000 ($500 for the two-peg animals, $1,000 for the three space animals and $2,000 for that big, nasty 'gator), with all money put in a bond for future education.

Brian

Offline jimlange

• 2/20/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
Re: Wink Martindale's Awesome Non-Price Clips and Episodes: The Ongoing Thread
« Reply #100 on: August 14, 2014, 02:09:12 PM »
The ending to this awesome week, here's an episode of Gambit from the final week airing December 7th, 1976.  Enjoy!!

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #101 on: August 16, 2014, 11:27:16 PM »
Is there a full version of the theme somewhere online, somewhere like TelevisionTunes.com? The intro was cool.

I totally agree with this. Maybe 40 seconds, for the first part of the bonus round, and probably 20 seconds for the 2nd part.

I did find the Mindreaders theme on TelevisionTunes.com, and even if it is a short theme, I love it.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #102 on: August 18, 2014, 08:13:16 AM »
One of the upcoming clips or full episodes Wink has up his sleeve is the 2000 $100,000 Pyramid pilot, with Donny Osmond.  It'll be interesting to see what was the same as and what was different from the series that debuted two years later.

"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline jimlange

• 2/20/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #103 on: August 18, 2014, 02:02:42 PM »
Here is the pitch reel for Donny Osmond's version of $100,000 Pyramid!

Online blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #104 on: August 18, 2014, 02:20:04 PM »
And to paraphrase Bob Eubanks... What a piece of "boop-boop!"