Author Topic: Wink Martindale's Awesome Non-Price Clips and Episodes: The Ongoing Thread  (Read 166013 times)

Offline jmorgan

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Wink Martindale's Awesome Non-Price Clips and Episodes: The Ongoing Thread
« Reply #405 on: January 13, 2023, 03:07:06 PM »
Two more pilots Wink shared recently. First, a 1982 pilot starring Chuck Woolery and produced by Mark Maxwell-Smith from 1982 called Let's Get Personal.

Then, our old friend Bob Hilton with a 1977 pilot of The New Truth Or Consequences.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 03:13:04 PM by jmorgan »

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

« Reply #406 on: February 16, 2023, 01:28:36 PM »
a little over 7 years after the one with Peter Tomarken was posted, the Whammy! pilot featuring eventual-series host Todd Newton is posted (yet to have "premiered" on YT when i posted the link)

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

here's another one i didn't know was a thing

Online tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
1979 pilot of Caught in the Act with Jack Clark. I liked this a lot, being fully invested in it the entire time. Seeing "a used car" as a prize was definitely a shocker as most, if not all, other game shows offered new cars. My respect for Jack Clark as a host has grown greatly after seeing this pilot.

CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
1979 pilot of Caught in the Act with Jack Clark. I liked this a lot, being fully invested in it the entire time. Seeing "a used car" as a prize was definitely a shocker as most, if not all, other game shows offered new cars. My respect for Jack Clark as a host has grown greatly after seeing this pilot.

Interesting about the used car prize, since it was Wink’s “High Rollers” that also offered a used car as a prize, that in the “Smilin’ Wink’s Car Lot” game.

Truth be told, I think the winner of such a prize would’ve won the cash in the amount of the average value of a good used vehicle (ie two or three years old via reputable pricing guides, good reviews (maybe per Consumer Reports), and average miles) rather than an actual used car. But that’s just my sense.

Other prizes were interesting and seem inspired by the quickie deals at the end of every “Let’s Make a Deal” episode (eg “Show me a paycheck stub and I’ll match it, up to $500!” “If you can provide me a copy of your phone bill, I’ll multiply the current balance owed tines six, meaning your bill is paid for six months!” And so on.)

Brian

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

and now, something I can't even explain (the "quickie" format of the video doesn't help, mind you)

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

« Reply #411 on: September 08, 2023, 07:13:28 PM »

when Dick Clark was taping this one, he asked Bob Stewart (who produced this) "Why aren't we just redoing the Pyramid?"

then it ends up we'd get "The New $25,000 Pyramid" soon after this pilot was pitched and didn't get picked up

(edited to add that in the premiere/watch party chat, Wink's account teased an uncut version of this to come later after a question about illegal clues happen in said chat)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2023, 07:57:51 PM by GRWHAMMY the 2nd »

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #412 on: September 09, 2023, 05:50:24 AM »
Very interesting word game. The front game reminds me a bit of Pass the Buck, Caught in the Act, and Talk About. The structure of the celebrities and contestants, and how they switch is very Pyramid-esque, too It was interesting to see the teams stretch their minds for what are the most obvious clues related to the subject. Overall, the front game sounds a bit wonky on paper, but it works out in practice. It's like a game of Hot Potato (not the Barry & Enright one) or musical chairs.

The bonus round is interesting in how there's an element of skill involved in leaving enough time left for the other person to guess the subjects at each monitor. The neon zeros determining the winnings also gave me Chain Reaction vibes. Also, trying to guess the subject requires some degree of ESP; you have to consider what your partner would have said in order to clear each subject. This is a much better execution of the Fast Bucks bonus round from Pass the Buck or the bonus round from Caught in the Act, as it doesn't seem arbitrary.

Overall, this wasn't bad, but could have used some work. However, I'm glad we supposedly got what's arguably the best era of Pyramid as a result of this pilot.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #413 on: September 09, 2023, 05:41:58 PM »
Yikes.

That is a good reminder that creating something great doesn't mean you also didn't come up with duds.

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #414 on: September 10, 2023, 01:54:30 AM »
This looks like a fun game show, and the theme gives me those Chain Reaction/Super Train vibes. Too much neon usage though.

Offline b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #415 on: September 11, 2023, 08:08:12 AM »
The neon zeros determining the winnings also gave me Chain Reaction vibes.

It came across not just that, but also like The Moneymaze w/Nick Clooney-- find the one before you find any zeroes (else, you win nothing; the one determines how much you get).

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

« Reply #416 on: September 23, 2023, 07:49:25 PM »
another one from the long list of shows Bob Goen hosted a pilot for that didn't get picked up (or was short lived if it did)

Offline jude_este

• Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #417 on: September 23, 2023, 08:29:47 PM »
another one from the long list of shows Bob Goen hosted a pilot for that didn't get picked up (or was short lived if it did)

You are mostly right here as Fast Friends was indeed picked up but not Stateside, as a look at the UK Game Shows website shows that there was a short-lived adaptation from BBC One that aired in 1991.

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

« Reply #418 on: September 23, 2023, 08:40:51 PM »
funnily enough, Bob Goen mentioned that in the intro on that video

and here's an episode of the UK one, as a sample

Offline geniusinmath

• Hi I didn't see you there. I'm Michael.
« Reply #419 on: October 20, 2023, 08:10:46 PM »
Here's the $1,000,000 Chance of a Lifetime Pilot