Author Topic: The 2014 Champ. of Amer. Game Shows: The Elite Eight  (Read 3325 times)

Offline Jordanar18

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Currently, I live in the past.
The 2014 Champ. of Amer. Game Shows: The Elite Eight
« on: September 28, 2014, 09:08:27 PM »
The Elite Eight round is upon us, and let's get right to it.

The Barker Bracket championship game is...

#1 Jeopardy!

vs.

#3 Hollywood Squares

And, facing each other in the Wink Bracket championship match are...

#1 Wheel of Fortune

And...

#2 Family Feud

Let's get some good participation!

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: The 2014 Champ. of Amer. Game Shows: The Elite Eight
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 09:18:25 PM »
First one is easy for me. 10-1 on Jeopardy! Mercy point for Hollywood Squares' wackiness but that's about it. It's up against the best quiz show ever created.

Second one is a match of the lesser of the two evils. Neither show is perfect but in their current state, they can be a whole lot better. Wheel's gimmicks rule over Feud's raunchiness. 7-4 on Wheel.

Offline JustBecause

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Waiting until the Time is Money Avatar is ready!
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 09:34:15 PM »
I'm going to start with the 2nd match. As PatrickRox80 already said, both shows can be (& have been) a whole lot better than they currently are. Wheel has introduced gimmicks to the point that those gimmicks determine the winner more often than actual good gameplay does. That said, Wheel is just flawed; Feud is just plain broken. I've already stated my peace with it & if it ends up winning this whole thing...well, let's just hope it doesn't reach the final 4.

Wheel of Fortune: 8
Family Feud: 3

The 1st matchup is more interesting to me. On one hand, you have the classic, straight forward quiz show (with a twist) in Jeopardy that's still going strong today. On the other hand, you've got one of the best celebrity interaction game shows of all time with Hollywood Squares. I'm probably going to be questioned for this, but I'm rewarding fun simplicity over Q&A simplicity.

Hollywood Squares: 8
Jeopardy: 3

Offline UniquePerspective

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The More You Know.
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 10:39:24 PM »
Man. I'd say H2 is Jeopardy's hardest competition yet. Very fun, very entertaining, lots of great humor. Jeopardy is still a classic and will stay that way for me though. 7-4 for Jeopardy.

This is an interesting one as both have had a lot of highs and lows lately. Wheel is certainly a classic, but frankly I think Feud's highs are higher than Wheel's. I think even Steve Harvey could be better than Pat too. Certainly going to be a tight score 'cause of Feud's lows and Wheel's classicness and longevity, but I'm going 6-5 for Feud.
Yeah...let's make this current shall we?

Season 39 CSS Stats:
Games: 7 Top 10 Finishes: 2 Top 5 Finishes: 1 Overs: 3 DSW:0 WSD: 0 GOTC: 3 WOTC: 0

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 12:54:27 AM »
Finally, a matchup where I don't have to do a YouTube search. I might just participate in this round! :P

Well, well, well... The Hollywood Squares had its moments. I've always thought it had one of the neatest sets of all game shows, and of course the celebrities made for a lot of fun. Jeopardy! is a staple in American television and has provided us with a daily dose of Daily Doubles for over 30 years now. Its contestants have been among some of the smartest minds in the country, and watching smart people be smarter than other smart people just makes for good television, in my opinion. Thus...

Jeopardy! (8-3)

This one is tough. Like, 6-5 tough. If I could vote 5.5-5.5, I would. But I'll try to talk through this and make my decision for which one has the slightest edge over the other as I go. Unlike most people, I actually prefer today's Wheel of Fortune to yesterday's, largely as a result of having grown up with it in its current "gimmicky" state. I'll even go as far as to say it's almost painful to sit through episodes that are 20+ years old, not because of the quality of the show but simply because it seemed more dragged out almost to the point of being boring. Again, I didn't grow up during the early days, so forgive me. It's especially interesting that I feel almost the exact opposite about Family Feud. Richard Dawson will forever be the greatest man to host that show, with Ray Combs a close second. Both hosts were just phenomenal and did an outstanding job. The set was so cool with the big, rotating board and just the feel of it was so inviting. Unlike with Wheel though, the modernization of the show through the 2000s has taken away much of the charm, such as the replacing of the board with a projection screen and the set getting the "Millionaire" treatment. Pair that with several subpar hosts, none of which stuck around for more than a few years, and the show became just about unrecognizable from its glory days. Steve Harvey has helped stabilize things a bit, but with sex-themed survey questions and an overall atmosphere that isn't very inviting, Feud is nowhere near what it used to be, although I still find it to be enjoyable to watch. With that said...

Wheel of Fortune (6-5)
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline DelandSIV

• Outside in Line
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 02:33:27 AM »
Jeopardy, 8-3. I won't go to the extreme and say that Jeopardy is the best game show of all time — it is mighty close though, IMO. But with what it has been and what it is… dare I say, it is Mr. Griffin's magnum opus. I strongly believe that Jeopardy saved game shows with that small little twist we now take for granted; how many other quiz shows have we seen a contestant have a Freudian Slip and answer in the form of a question? Mr. Trebek has not only fit the role as well as Mr. Flemming before him, this show has allowed him to become the gold standard of what we expect game show hosts to be… that is, when he's sober. And aside from one heinous mistake (J! 78/79), the changes have had little to no impact on the show, whether it be switching cards for monitors, increasing money amounts, or removing champion limits. It may not be as entertaining as it's competitors (outside of some celebrity events), but it is certainly as fit and polished as Mr. Griffin wanted it to be.

Comparing it against Hollywood Squares really isn't all that fair. On its own right, it is entertaining; helps when you have rotating celebrities to trade barbs with the contestants and the hosts. And for what it is, the questions are written right, allowing for an element of fun into the game. For what it is, I always felt H² was a decent show, especially the Bergeron years; but here, it's just unfortunate to face the quiz behemoth.

Wheel of Fortune, 6-5. Full disclosure: I am not, nor will I ever be, a "wheel watcher." Personally, not only am I bored by it, I think a blind monkey can win on that show. That said… respect has to be given not just for how long it's been on air, but also for Sajak and White for what they have done for so long. Even with the unnecessary gimmicks and changes, not just from daytime to syndicated, but within that latter itself (omitting the passing of O'Donnell, of course), the fact that it's still on air with the same talent has to count for a lot in my book.

I wish the same can be said for Family Feud, in terms of consistency. Though the hosts were good, if not serviceable (excluding the dreck that was Anderson), the rate the current series has switched them out has planted a fear in me that Harvey will be let go in a season or two; god, I hope not, because this is the best and most entertaining Feud I've watched since the Combs years. But more so than the emcees, I just wished the round scoring was consistent across the board. Bad enough that I had to figure out the pattern for the Dawson years; worse that they had the Bullseye round (twice); and now this sudden death round since the revival under… him. Without those two critical problems, I'd might have scored this match in Feud's favor, 7-4, but they're too big to ignore.

Offline wpghi5

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 02:05:26 PM »
I would never in my life would want to compete in a show like Jeopardy! You have to have a very smart brain to be on that show. Hollywood Squares although it does have questions as well at least it has humor and all of its wackiness. With that I'll go for the one that's "less" difficult. With that it's Hollywood Squares. I'll make it 8-3 for Squares.

As for the second match up both Wheel and Feud are fun shows. And also has its moments on both of them. Again I'll go for the simpler one. With that it's guessing a letter not to mention solving the puzzle on the board on Wheel than guessing an answer on the board on Feud. 7-4 Wheel.

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 04:53:12 PM »
First match is easy.  Jeopardy!, 8-3.

As for the second match, if somebody had asked me 20 years ago for an opinion on this, I would have had an extremely difficult time trying to decide the best show.  But both shows have devolved so much over the past 20 years that I am forced to decide which pile of s*** stinks the least.  For me, that is Feud, 6-5.
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 09:25:36 PM »
Still not a Squares fan.

Jeopardy 10-1.

Wheel has degraded far longer than Feud, so...

Feud 9-2

Offline left4thehouse

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 12:44:02 AM »
Best straight quiz v best comedy game final tally? What is J! 7, HS 4
Again, FF is today equal of the 7X MG, WOG has turned into the time killer played on the bar machine that also has Mah Jongg and Draw Poker, FF 7 WOF 4. FF finds a way to correct itself, WOF is a poor man's ego fix.

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 01:13:26 AM »
Jeopardy! and Hollywood Squares.................When it comes down to it, which one really made a strong impact? Squares really have a good celeb base, great hosts, the tic-tac-toe premise, and Shadoe Stevens. J! is a great brain-teaser with some pretty good contestants where you can't wait to see how far they can go, and The Trebek. So far, I'm afraid Trebek and J! take this one.

Jeopardy! 6-5

Now I can admit that Wheel and Feud have jumped the shark numerous times, whether it be gimmicks and/or hosts, but it seems that the Harvey version is been overused too many times, mostly of its more risqué nature than previous versions...........Now we can see it on BET and TV Land. Sheesh! We get enough of that on syndication and GSN. So I'm sticking the Wheel and Sajak and Vanna.

Wheel Of Fortune 7-4

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 11:23:20 AM »
Jeopardy vs. Hollywood Squares: The fact that Hollywood Squares beat Jeopardy in the early 1970s serious proves why people would like that show more than the other, and with an array of celebrties with humor yet with some good questions, it is one of the best shows. Its also the more fun of the two to watch. But the fact is that Jeopardy! has probably been the most consistant of any game show ever in terms of quality, even including The Price is Right, thanks to a nice mix of contestants, Alex/Johnny Gilbert, and licensing to GameTek for its home versions. But I'd prefer Jep! and Sports Jeopardy! over Hip-Hop Squares, my deciding factor.

Jeopardy 6, Hollywood Squares 5

Wheel of Fortune vs. Family Feud: Despite its flaws and gimmicks, the gameplay is still essentially the same. The same wheel has been used for 40 years, the object is still to spin, buy a vowel, solve without calling duds (not stingers if you've watched $1,000,000 Chance of a Lifetime too much), win the game, and go to the bonus round. I actually have grown to like Sajak's sarcasm and there are some good jokes that come out of him, as much as Steve Harvey does with present feud. If only there weren't as many repeating puzzles or commercials since a show really only runs about 18 minutes after commercials, compared to 22 back in the '80s. A similar problem with Feud occurs, but I just don't feel that Feud at its best can beat Wheel at its Best, and I'd rather watch Bob Goen Wheel over Louie Anderson Feud. Because I'd love a matchup against Merv's two icons, Wheel of Fortune 8, Family Feud 3.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2014, 12:11:10 PM »
Jeopardy vs Hollywood Squares: Jeopardy is the bigger classic of the two and the more traditional game show.  It hasn't changed a whole lot, and the basic formula remains successful.  Hollywood Squares was fun to watch, but more for the comedy obviously then the game itself.  I do like H2, but Jeopardy has to have the vote here.  Jeopardy wins 7-4.

Wheel of Fortune vs Family Feud- I've always loved Wheel of Fortune, and it's been the continuous stalwart.  Family Feud was great with Dawson, very good with Combs, and funny with Steve Harvey, but the hosts inbetween bring it down.  Pat and Vanna are the ultimate game show pair, and Chuck and Susan were great in the daytime show also before them.  I'm going with Wheel here, 7 to 4.

Offline Jordanar18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2014, 11:03:17 PM »
My votes:

Jeopardy, 8-3
Wheel of Fortune, 6-5

Let's see who's moving on to the Final Four!

In our Barker Bracket, the #1 seed had dominated every opponent it faced to this point.  Did Jeopardy! have enough juice to defeat the classic comedic show?

Jeopardy! takes out Hollywood Squares, 7.00 to 4.00.

Interesting note:  Out of 65 votes cast in Jeopardy! matches, only 3 went to the other show (two this round).

And, in the Wink Bracket championship, both competitors faced their fair share of criticism.  Which one merited its ticket to the Final Four?  It was close... Survey says?

Wheel of Fortune squeaks by Family Feud, 5.69 to 5.31.

Offline Jordanar18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2014, 11:08:02 PM »
Two tickets have been punched to the Final Four, and now it's time to determine the other two winners.

First, in the Cullen Bracket championship we have...

#1 Pyramid

Taking on...

#3 Card Sharks

And, the Trebek Bracket championship match features these two:

#1 Press Your Luck

And...

#2 Password

Will we have an all-#1 Seed Final Four?