Author Topic: Pricing games that haven't received changes but still look good  (Read 3439 times)

Offline 1DC

• In Contestant's Row
Pricing games that haven't received changes but still look good
« on: October 19, 2014, 11:05:24 PM »
With the new Clock Game having debuted on the show last month and the other pricing games that have received set changes during Drew's time as host, it got me thinking about games that haven't received set changes during that time but still look good.
Some longtime pricing games I can think of that haven't received set changes but still look good.....
Spelling Bee
Bullseye
Hole in One
3 Strikes
It's in the Bag (the $16,000 sign did get a background change in 2009)
Grocery Game
Shell Game
Money Game
Swap Meet
Dice Game
Golden Road

Now here are some games I think could use a set change....
Now or Then
Pick a Number
1 Wrong Price
1 Right Price

What do you all think? What games still look good, and what games could use a set change?

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Pricing games that haven't received changes but still look good
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 01:45:42 AM »
Dice Game's displays were looking a bit worse for wear on the last few playings --very faded and, well, old.  They did look a bit brighter on the most recent one, though, so hopefully they'll stick around for a little longer.

I disagree on Money Game looking good as is--those pastels just scream "early '90s," and not in a good way.  Same goes for Double Prices, actually.  All they really need to do is change the colors and the font of both games and they'd look a lot better.

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 10:30:07 AM »
Switcheroo still looks pretty good in my mind.  Race Game may be somewhat dated, but I think that's part of its charm. 

Offline SilverFirePrime

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Can this be ressurected next?
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 10:37:21 AM »
I think Master Key, Danger Price, and any of the quickes they play on the stage are safe from being renovated for the time being.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 11:54:04 AM »
Add Lucky $even, Check-Out and Take Two to that list as well.

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 12:09:58 PM »
Switcheroo still looks pretty good in my mind. 

Switcheroo received a facelift last season.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline SilverFirePrime

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Can this be ressurected next?
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 12:38:08 PM »

I never noticed that until you brought it up.  I guess it just needed a little cleanup as opposed to a complete overhaul.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 12:51:02 PM »

A minor one, though. Kinda' like how Three Strikes is still pretty much the same as it was when it premiered, despite all the touch-ups it's had over the decades.

Anyway, Lucky $even's set has helped allow it to become the non-luxury car game that still kinda' feels like a luxury car game. It's hard to see any good coming from changing that set.

Master Key's still got its classic, stately appearance, and it would be sad if that were ever to go. Classic and stately are not really what the show is going for these days, but it would still be a travesty to try to modernize or wackify Master Key.

Squeeze Play's oddly-shaped set worked great in the old days, and works great in the new days, especially with the current color scheme. Hard to see anything good coming from changing that.

Offline TPIRfanforlife

• Outside in Line
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 04:20:50 PM »
I think Safe Crackers still looks pretty good. I don't think it has had any updates, at least not recently

Offline 1DC

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 04:52:03 PM »
About Master Key, there was a minor change involving the sign mounted on the turntable wall. The red border on the sign was removed when the current turntable debuted in Season 38.
Danger Price received flashing red lights on its set a couple years ago.
As for Safe Crackers, I believe the last time Safe Crackers received a set change was circa 1985.
Squeeze Play's current silver & gold set does still look good even after 13 years.
Cliffhangers also looks good even after having been around since 1976 largely unchanged

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 08:11:49 AM »
Games that still look good:
Five Price Tags, looks as good today as in 1972 despite minor color/font changes.
Bonus Game
Safe Crackers
Master Key
Pick-a-Pair
Cliff Hangers
Range Game
Grocery Game
Bullseye
Make Your Move
Race Game. During say the late '80s/'90s, it may have looked too tacky and warranted a change, but now has vintage charm that I want to keep!

As for games that I feel could use updates, Double Prices. Its design screams late '80s with the font and color scheme and despite being contemporary when first released, could use an update.
Secret X could use an update
Swap Meet
Switch?
Pick-a-Number
Now or Then
2 for the Price of 1
Danger Price (I'd love retro elements of the old set such as the skull return)

One Right Price was freshened several years ago with a new video sign and still looks good.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 10:41:08 AM »
You know what? I think Check-Out is great, but I think the bottom display that indicates a win or a loss should be replaced with an Eggcrate display set in white. The W in "Win" looks a little odd.

Offline 1DC

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 01:06:47 AM »
If they changed any displays in Check Out, it would most likely be replaced with monitors.  I don't know of any game shows other than The Price is Right that still use eggcrate displays.

Offline TPIRSteven

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 01:51:36 AM »
In addition to what has already been mentioned, I think Pathfinder, Pass the Buck, Step Up, and Punch-a-Bunch all look fine right now.  In fact, Pathfinder's number grid and quirky price display have almost become iconic to the point where removing them would be detrimental.

I agree that Now or Then, 2 for the Price of 1, and Pick a Number are all in need of set changes, and I'll also throw in Magic # as another good candidate for an update.

Offline magic#92

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 02:01:18 PM »
Dice Game's displays were looking a bit worse for wear on the last few playings --very faded and, well, old.  They did look a bit brighter on the most recent one, though, so hopefully they'll stick around for a little longer.

It looks to me like the Dice Game displays have LEDs now, starting with the first playing this season.  They do seem more golden in color.
This is Wilford Brimley reminding you to help control your diabeetus.  Check your blood sugar and check it often.