Author Topic: Double Dare obstacle course questions  (Read 8828 times)

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
Double Dare obstacle course questions
« on: November 11, 2014, 12:43:13 PM »
(I haven't been on in years!!! Wow...anyways).. Been watching a lot of Double Dare (Nickelodeon) lately and have a few questions:

1) Was there a certain pattern as to how the obstacle course was laid out? Obviously each went in order 1-8, but was there a specific starting point and finishing point on the stage for each course?

2) I know Down the Hatch was the first obstacle sometimes, but was Pick It ever used as the first obstacle?

3) When and why did they change the names of certain obstacles (i.e. Down the Hatch becoming Mush Mouth, Time's Running Out becoming Hourglass and Pick It becoming 'Da Nose).

I'll probably ask some more questions later about the obstacle course but these came to mind as I was watching an episode recently.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Double Dare obstacle course questions
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 01:10:57 PM »
Well, hopefully I can answer these to the best of my ability.

1. There wasn't really a specific layout, except Gum Drop on the original version was almost always the first obstacle. Same with (New) Lake Double Dare on the Family versions. On the original Double Dare, virtually every run was done in a snake-like pattern with a different starting point (which is why the Sundae Slide was often the first, third or sixth obstacle). Most of the runs from Super Sloppy Double Dare onward had the courses run clockwise or counter-clockwise on stage with a way to accommodate for one or two in the center (they'd often start or end there).

2. Pick It was used only one known time as the first obstacle, on Double Dare 2000.

3. For the more prominent name changes...
Cold Fish became Sushi late in Super Sloppy Double Dare.
The Big Kahuna became Waveslide, Time's Running Out became Hour Glass, Hunt and Peck became Typewriter, Mt. St. Double Dare became Volcano and Thar She Blows became Horn Blower on Family Double Dare's 1990 season.
Down the Hatch became Mush Mouth, Dallas became Pipeline and Pick It became 'Da Nose in 1992.
For Double Dare 2000, the Sundae Slide became either Just Desserts or The Big Scoop depending on which version was used. Also, Mush Mouth was renamed Big Mouth, Pipeline became the Baked Alaska Pipeline, Das Blimp became The Blimp, Garbage Truck became Dump Truck and the Wringer became Kid Squisher.

Icy Trike is a special case. It was renamed Brick Wall when bricks were added to the obstacle in the Super Sloppy and Family versions. The original name returned for the first FDD season but changed back in 1992

Monkey Bars was called Just Hangin' Around for a time on the original version.

Toejam was briefly known as Foot Locker and Ant Farm was briefly known as Kid Farm.

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 03:43:37 PM »
Another question: Why were they inconsistent in using 3 or 4 tubes with Dallas and Cold Fish? I know on most episodes with these obstacles they used 3, but weren't they being a little harsh when 4 tubes were used?

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 04:44:59 PM »
I think the 4-tube Sushi/Cold Fish was used in the Orlando-taped Super Sloppy and 1990 Family episodes.  By comparison, Dallas and Cold Fish in the Philadelphia episodes used only three tubes.  My guess is that this was one way to control how the prize budget.  The longer the obstacle took, the less likely it was the contestants could win it all.

Dallas went on hiatus after the 1989 Philadelphia episodes.  It returned in 1992 as "Pipeline," and had three tubes.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline jwatson2973

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 05:55:26 PM »
I did recall the Gum Drop obstacle was number 5 in Double Dare 2000 & maybe the original when it has been number 1 on the original & I often have seen the 1-ton Human Hamster Wheel be number 1 in some episodes & maybe a later obstacle in other episodes.

As for the Typewriter in the original version, on Double Dare 2000, they had a different variation called Double Click which was very hard according to Game Show Garbage's website top 10 Worst Obstacles on Double Dare. Reason being as far as I know is that it takes a lot of time to find the right button to light the virtual flag in order to grab the real flag.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 06:04:47 PM »
There was one instance in the original Double Dare where Gum Drop wasn't the first obstacle of the course-on the Super Sloppy episode where all the obstacles were renamed "Harvey," it was #2 (I don't count the Backwards Day episode, where it was #8, since it was the first obstacle run that day). The contestant took about 15-18 seconds to ascend the ladder, jump down, and grab the flag.  Because of this, the team lost the course.

On Double Dare 2000, when Gum Drop wasn't #1, there was a workaround.  The team member showed they had the previous flag to the person atop the ladder.  When the person atop the ladder saw the flag, that was their signal to jump down.  This saved time and allowed Gum Drop to be in other slots besides the first.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 10:25:12 AM »
With regards to the first question, a common pattern on nearly half of the 1992 FDD episodes was to have New Lake Double Dare first, a couple short/easier obstacles such as Kid Wash, The Wringle, or In One Ear 2nd and 3rd, the Gak Geyser 4th, Shark! 5th, and Das Blimp 6th. Apparently whenever this combination was used, nobody ever completed the course, with the obvious exception of the finale (where the Geyser/Shark/Blimp obstacles moved up a station), often due to the Shark. When this layout wasn't used, you'd frequently have Gum Drop 1st and The Tank 5th. Traditionally, a Blue Plate Special-type obstacle was commonly last in many versions.

Some obstacles probably changed names in order to make the show seem fresh.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 12:02:24 PM »
There is also an episode where Gum Drop is #2. Kid/Ant Farm was the first obstacle that day. Obviously, those kids did not win that day.

(never mind, Goldroad already alluded to this incident. Sorry. :)

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 12:04:46 PM »
Another question: Why was Blue Plate Special and the Slime Canal removed when they moved to Orlando? I know Blue Plate showed back up during FDD, but why not keep those in rotation since they were pretty 'sloppy' obstacles?

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 12:15:56 PM »
Slime Canal disappeared after the last 1988 episodes were taped, I think, as it didn't fit with the "Bigger and Messier" motif of Super Sloppy Double Dare.

The Blue Plate Special was used in the Orlando Super Sloppy episodes at least once, as "Waffles" on the Salute to Breakfast episode, and I think it was used a couple of other times under "Blue Plate Special."  Only in 1990 did it have the specific names "Summers' Sandwich" and "Squelch 'em Waffles." It went back to "Blue Plate Special" for a variety of dishes in the 1992 Family Double Dare episodes as well as Double Dare 2000.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 12:19:02 PM by goldroadfanatic »

Offline jwatson2973

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 02:41:36 PM »
I know that the Garbage Truck was retired due to the fact that there has been an instance the flag was hardly found even when time ran out. Inside Out once had maybe three or four balloons before, but then add more balloons to make it harder, maybe too hard.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 02:50:45 PM »
Garbage Truck was used in the 1990 and 1992 episodes of Family Double Dare and in Double Dare 2000.  Maybe it was not used after that incident in the 1992 season where Marc, the contestants, and some of the crew were looking for the orange flag in the pink slime, and they had to edit in when they found it as the parting shot in the credits for that episode.

Offline Ivoryman86

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 05:28:57 PM »
Garbage Truck was used in the 1990 and 1992 episodes of Family Double Dare and in Double Dare 2000.  Maybe it was not used after that incident in the 1992 season where Marc, the contestants, and some of the crew were looking for the orange flag in the pink slime, and they had to edit in when they found it as the parting shot in the credits for that episode.
Garbage Truck wasn't used again after the Natalie Nucci/Mark David episode. The episode where a family "broke the scoreboard" was the debut of Garbage Truck. The obstacles that debuted during the 1990 run were Bats in the Belfry, Garbage Truck, Lube Job(it later became Oil Change during the 2 Super Special episodes), Test Your Strength and Wrestle-Rama. Of those 5, only 2 of them made it to the 2 Super Special episodes and only Garbage Truck made it to the 1992 run. Of course, the 1992 season premiere saw several new obstacles but of all the new obstacles, Big Bowl, Quicksand and Low Hurdles came first, all appeared for the first 5 episodes of the run, Gak Geyser came next, which debuted on the same day as the Natalie Nucci/Mark David episode.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2014, 05:30:43 PM »
Garbage Truck wasn't used again after the Natalie Nucci/Mark David episode. The episode where a family "broke the scoreboard" was the debut of Garbage Truck. The obstacles that debuted during the 1990 run were Bats in the Belfry, Garbage Truck, Lube Job(it later became Oil Change during the 2 Super Special episodes), Test Your Strength and Wrestle-Rama. Of those 5, only 2 of them made it to the 2 Super Special episodes and only Garbage Truck made it to the 1992 run. Of course, the 1992 season premiere saw several new obstacles but of all the new obstacles, Big Bowl, Quicksand and Low Hurdles came first, all appeared for the first 5 episodes of the run, Gak Geyser came next, which debuted on the same day as the Natalie Nucci/Mark David episode.

When did the cast of Roundhouse appear on the show?  I wasn't aware of them being on Double Dare.

Offline Ivoryman86

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 06:10:07 PM »
When did the cast of Roundhouse appear on the show?  I wasn't aware of them being on Double Dare.
They appeared on the same day as the episode you were referring to where the orange flag was never found underneath the pink gook until the credits appeared. On the next episode, it was mentioned that Garbage Truck must have a flag or the course had to stop and start up again much like the Nightmare obstacle, which took 4 or 5 takes. The pink gook in the Garbage Truck was then replaced with the yellow gook, in which they knew the Garbage Truck wouldn't be in use afterwards.