Author Topic: Fremantle to Launch Buzzr TV-Featuring Classic Goodson Shows  (Read 85546 times)

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
Fremantle to Launch Buzzr TV-Featuring Classic Goodson Shows
« on: January 20, 2015, 10:05:50 AM »
Well this is a surprise.  Buzzerblog announced that a new feed called Buzzr TV will air on digital multicasts on Fox stations around the country.  Many of the classics, including Password, Family Feud, Match Game, Blockbusters, and Card Sharks will air.

The biggest surprise is that old episodes of The Price is Right will be included.  The question is, are they going back to the 1970s or are they starting with something more recent, like the 90s or 00s?  Either way, it would be one heck of a treat to see old episodes airing on broadcast TV regularly for the first time since GSN stopped rerunning them 15 years ago.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 04:28:13 PM by therealcu2010 »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Prizes

• Director
  • Took a swing and my drive found twine!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, a WOF Community
I'll put these here now, before we get some inevitably unnecessary and/or silly responses:

« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 10:40:31 AM by Prizes »
Hard work increases the probability of serendipity. —Ken Poirot

Finally made it in life!

Online htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
Sadly my market is no where near in the top 17 markets in the U.S. (another article says at the moment only the top 17 markets, or about 37%, will have it, with hopefully the rest of the country to come soon). Would be nice to have though!
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
I should be getting this soon and this topic looks to be interesting. That said, I hope this channel will be to GSN what Me-TV is to TV Land (and earlier Nick at Nite) and to what Boomerang is to Cartoon Network. I also REALLY hope that they air classic Wheel/Jeopardy! episode in addition, especially the seasons that GSN hasn't aired or those that I missed out on. With that said, I wonder if this may allow for a shift in scheduling for the current GSN toward even fewer classics then what's presently on (basically just a three hour morning block nowadays). I would imagine GSN may air more '90s/'00s classics in that AM timeslot such as Debt, Supermarket Sweep, Lifetime-era Shop Til You Drop, or the like if this channel is successful. It will also be interesting if certain bans are still in effect. Since Bob is still alive, I can assure no fur episodes will air, but will Holly/Dian episodes be allowed to air? If not, then that will mean Season 25 and up only episodes. I feel that the Holly/Dian has been relaxed, as I would like for Freemantle to pick up at mid-Season 12 where GSN left off. I'm definitely looking forward to their offerings!
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
I also REALLY hope that they air classic Wheel/Jeopardy! episode in addition, especially the seasons that GSN hasn't aired or those that I missed out on

Fremantle is only airing its library.  I'd imagine that it'd be too taxing to lease anyone else's.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Prizes

• Director
  • Took a swing and my drive found twine!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, a WOF Community
Read my first post in this thread, before you post. Because if you want something specific, as you inevitably do, read that image. It will tell you why it's not happening. The Buzzerblog press release is nicely specific, and to ask for anything outside of these as of right now, is a waste of internet space. Don't do that.

Shows to look for, taken from the article:

Titles include Family Feud featuring all hosts from Richard Dawson to present, The Price is Right, Let’s Make A Deal with Monty Hall, To Tell The Truth, Password, Match Game, Beat the Clock, What’s My Line?, Blockbusters, and Card Sharks.

On a personal note, my evaluation is that this means it's probably Drew only Price, given the name mentions of other hosts, like Hall and Dawson, as applicable, though it does make me wonder what era of TTTT is being shown, since it's not mentioned in the release. We should all be thankful that the budgets and projected revenues from this project directly benefit our interest as fans of the genre, and this excellent opportunity, to enjoy, record, log, track, whatever, should not be taken for granted.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 10:34:37 AM by Prizes »
Hard work increases the probability of serendipity. —Ken Poirot

Finally made it in life!

Offline OneBidTris

• 4/2/2024
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
  • Hosting FPG for Season 50
I do really like the idea of Fremantle airing its library of game shows, whatever that may be, but something concerns me.

What does this mean for GSN? Will they still be able to use the shows Buzzr uses, are they going to have to dig deeper to find other shows they can air, or will they just stop airing classics in general?

I am looking forward to Buzzr, but I'm more interested to see how, or if, GSN will be affected by this.

Offline jimlange

• 2/20/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • I am a TPIR Greek GOD!!
I do really like the idea of Fremantle airing its library of game shows, whatever that may be, but something concerns me.

What does this mean for GSN? Will they still be able to use the shows Buzzr uses, are they going to have to dig deeper to find other shows they can air, or will they just stop airing classics in general?

I am looking forward to Buzzr, but I'm more interested to see how, or if, GSN will be affected by this.

That will not happen.  There are broadcast contracts and cable contracts.  Since Buzzr TV will be OTA digital, it is a broadcast network.  So this and GSN can co exist, and GSN can keep airing what they have and get more from them in the future.

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
This is great news. It'll give us game show fans more to watch than countless hours of Harvey Feud.
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline Priceboi1983

• In Contestant's Row
  • Come on Down!
    • Justin's Facebook Page
I'll be looking for it!
And all this could be yours if... The Price is Right

Offline holein1isawesome

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Fremantle to Launch Buzzr TV-Featuring Classic Goodson Shows (Incl. TPIR!)
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 12:24:02 PM »
Great news! Hopefully they'll air some Tom Kennedy and TNPIR episodes not yet recapped.

Offline Coupon Boy

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 12:33:12 PM »
Yes, and hopefully by some miracle they air Dennis James episodes including that long sought after showcase tie show. :-D
Won $79,525 on my first Host Your Own game.

Offline jimlange

• 2/20/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • I am a TPIR Greek GOD!!
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2015, 12:37:21 PM »
BTW, This channel is also being shopped around at the NATPE convention as we speak, so it should be coming to more areas as well!!  For those of you clamoring for classic TPIR, don't hold your breath on seeing rarely seen episodes.  Remember Bob is still with us, and will most likely have say on what will air or not.  If his model ban is still in place, outside of a few episodes, we will not see episodes from 1977-1995 with Holly Hallstrom and of course episodes with fur coats.

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2015, 12:38:27 PM »
Well, since GSN won't show Price reruns anymore due to too much red tape, I think that this is a good alternative. I hope it comes to my cable lineup soon.

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2015, 12:43:03 PM »
I'm a bit confused on what this actually is. Is it a schedule of game shows that will air on Fox affiliates under the Buzzr TV brand or is Buzzr TV is a separate channel altogether? Not that it's likely to be available in my market but I definitely like the concept.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.