Author Topic: 2015 MLB Season  (Read 69757 times)

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: 2015 MLB Season
« Reply #345 on: October 04, 2015, 07:47:14 PM »
After the previous two games, the Yankees are lucky Houston lost today against Arizona since they were swept by Baltimore to close out the season.

Going 1-6 to close out the season can do that. Even though they have home field, I don't like their chances. The Astros are a home run-hitting team and Tanaka gives up home runs. It's a vicious combination.

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #346 on: October 04, 2015, 07:48:58 PM »
With my Diamondbacks not in the postseason field, I'd like to see the Cubs win the World Series. Between 2004 and 2010, baseball's 3 other longest cursed teams, the Red Sox, White Sox, and the Giants all ended their droughts. It'd be super cool to see THE longest curse broken. That said, as long as the damn Dodgers don't win the World Series I'll be happy.

I'll predict a Mets-Royals World Series. The Mets have a deep rotation and they've had a strong offense since the trade. An the A.L. I think the Royals have the best overall team and will be able to draw on the experience of their run last year.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline Prizes

• Director
  • Took a swing and my drive found twine!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, a WOF Community
« Reply #347 on: October 04, 2015, 08:18:30 PM »
Predictions, as I remember to do these for the podcast I'm a part of (will link):

Yankees over Houston
Cubs over Pirates

Royals over Yankees in 5
Jays over Rangers in 4
Cardinals over Cubs in 4
Dodgers over Mets in 4

Jays over Royals in 5
Dodgers over Cardinals in 7

Dodgers over Jays in 5
Hard work increases the probability of serendipity. —Ken Poirot

Finally made it in life!

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
« Reply #348 on: October 04, 2015, 09:48:35 PM »
What strong offense do you see in the Mets? They can't hit for their lives since clinching the N.L. East. Best bet is the Dodgers sweeping them. Same thing for the Yankees, they can't score. If they lose to Houston I wouldn't be surprised.
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline JustBecause

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Waiting until the Time is Money Avatar is ready!
« Reply #349 on: October 04, 2015, 10:39:19 PM »
What strong offense do you see in the Mets? They can't hit for their lives since clinching the N.L. East. Best bet is the Dodgers sweeping them.

Add in the fact that they'll be facing not 1, but 2 Cy Young worthy pitchers in Kershaw and Greinke and I'd tend to agree that a Dodgers win (maybe in a sweep, probably 4) is the most likely scenario.

Now the other NLDS (which I'm referring to as the "NL Central Texas Cage Match") is one that I expect to go the full 5 games. I honestly believe that each of the 3 teams (St. Louis, Pittsburgh, and Chicago) have an equal shot at moving forward. I'll pick St. Louis (since they're St. Louis) to advance over Chicago (since they have Arrieta...and Pittsburgh doesn't.)

Now as for the ALDS, the Royals are out to avenge last year, and unlike last year when they were among the hunters, they enter this year as the hunted. I fully expect them to win their ALDS in 3 or 4, since they'll have the experience and overall better depth than either New York or Houston (FWIW, Houston beats New York...not sure why; just a gut feeling).

The other ALDS, Blue Jays and Rangers, puts 2 of the hottest teams post All-Star break against each other. The Blue Jays went all-in for October and they certainly appear to be destined for greatness...which is why I'm picking the Rangers in 5. I foresee the Blue Jays succumbing to the hype placed on their shoulders and the Rangers surprising people with their play which they've been doing for as long as Toronto. That...and I'm a Canadian who believes that the Expos are Canada's team, Blue Jays be damned ;) 

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #350 on: October 04, 2015, 10:46:52 PM »
Bear in mind: Kershaw is 1-5 in his postseason career with an ERA over 5.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline UltraPrice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #351 on: October 04, 2015, 11:12:20 PM »
Once again a very disappointing season for the Angels.  I wonder if the Angels will fire Mike mike Scioscia?

My wild card picks:
Yankees over Astros
Cubs over Pirates

Online Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #352 on: October 05, 2015, 11:30:27 AM »
Nationals show Matt Williams the door.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #353 on: October 05, 2015, 01:19:48 PM »
Phillies fans should breathe a sigh of relief, because they only lost 99 games.

As for the postseason, my predictions are as follows:
ALDS: Blue Jays over Rangers; Royals over Yankees
NLDS: Dodgers over Mets; Cardinals over Cubs (sorry, Marty McFly)
ALCS: Royals over Blue Jays
NLCS: Cardinals over Dodgers
World Series: Cardinals over Royals (in rematch of I-70 Series that occurred exactly 30 years ago!)

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #354 on: October 05, 2015, 05:53:19 PM »
Might as well stake my claim.

Wild Card Games
Astros over Yankees: I have no faith in the Yankees even though they somehow kept home field. They clearly didn't want to play at Yankee Stadium but the Astros gave it to them yesterday. I don't expect a resurgence given how the Yankees have been playing as of late.
Cubs over Pirates: Going to be a tough battle but I believe the Cubs are going to surprise a lot of people this postseason.

Division Series:
Dodgers over Mets: I can't see the Mets pulling through. This is clearly the year for Greinke and Kershaw. Plus the lineup hasn't been the same since the Marlins exposed Cespedes.
Cubs over Cardinals: Same story as above. The Cubs are bloodthirsty and they will take it out on their biggest rival.
Blue Jays over Rangers: With the Blue Jays playing their best baseball in years and the Rangers getting the division by the skin of their teeth, I can't see it happening any other way.
Royals over Astros: The Royals are still just as hot and with home field throughout the playoffs, the Astrod don't stand a chance.

Championship Series:
Cubs over Dodgers: Yes, I truly think this is the year the Cubs will Take the pennant. The Dodgers can't have their two best on every game and the Cubs will take advantage.
Blue Jays over Royals: This will be a hard-fought battle but between these two teams, I give the Jays a slight edge. The Royals did it all last year and I think this is where their strength runs dry.

World Series:
Blue Jays over Cubs: Not basing this solely on home field advantage but if the Blue Jays make it to the World Series, I expect them to be firing on all cylinders.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 05:57:44 PM by PatrickRox80 »

Offline AussieEvil

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Not Hurt By Pain™
« Reply #355 on: October 05, 2015, 08:15:42 PM »
As a Giants fan, I really hope Kershaw chokes hard this postseason.
"Fans are clingy complaining dipshits who will never ever be grateful for any concession you make. The moment you shut out their shrill, tremulous voices the happier you will be for it."

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #356 on: October 06, 2015, 03:02:02 PM »
Astros at Yankees in the A.L. Wild Card Game tonight. Both teams struggled in September as the Astros lost the west and Yankees were fortunate to keep home field for this game. I like the Yankees tonight. Kuechel isn't nearly as good on the road as at home. Kuechel is 15-0 with an ERA of 1.46 at home but 5-8 with an ERA of 3.77 on the road. Also the Yankees have some guys (A Rod, Gardner, Beltran et ) who have experience of playing postseason baseball. These is uncharted territory for the Astros and a young team may not respond well to the pressure of postseason baseball the first time around.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #357 on: October 06, 2015, 08:22:24 PM »
I know the AL Wild Card started, but give me the Yankees over the Astros. Yankees look like crap coming into this game, but Keuchel and the Astros have one of the worst road records ever of a team to be in the playoffs.

I really like Arrieta in this spot. This is the clutch time he's needed for. He could really prove himself if he comes through here and keeps the Pirates to 3 runs or less. So give me the Cubs over the Pirates.

As for the rest:

TOR over TEX in 3
KC over NYY in 5
NYM over LAD in 4
STL over CUBS in 5

NYM over STL in 6
TOR over KC in 5

TOR over NYM in 6
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
« Reply #358 on: October 06, 2015, 09:15:17 PM »
This home plate umpire must have money on the Astros.
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #359 on: October 06, 2015, 09:18:22 PM »
Tanaka as well. Two solo home runs by the Astros are the only runs on the board so far.