Author Topic: FPG 3/6/15 -- RESULTS  (Read 4172 times)

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
FPG 3/6/15 -- RESULTS
« on: March 06, 2015, 06:13:49 PM »
If you were in chat today, you saw a preview of something that will be happening in FPG in the future.

I'm getting older and I have to admit publicly that I'm... not as mentally adept as I used to be.  I don't know how much longer I will be able to run the FPG before my mind deteriorates to the point where I will totally forgot what FPG even is.  For the remaining time that I have as host--however long that might be--I require a hand with putting together the picks and the scores.

A few weeks ago, whammy007 PMd me and offered to help me.  He has been putting together a program to aid me with the compilation of those important picks and scores.  He actually used his program to post all of today's FPG scores right after the showcase ARPs, so everybody in chat already knows who won this week.  Once he works out all of the bugs, I can use this program next season.  Hopefully, it'll take a lot of pressure off of me and allow me to host FPG a little longer.

But enough about my problems.  Actually, that's a lie.  Let's talk about one more problem I have.  Today is the last day that I go rogue and submit a GRV-style set of picks on a crapshoot week because that's the result I get.  A big, fat, big-breasted set of zeroes.

Elsewhere, Do the Math and More or Less provided some bonus cash for a couple of players.  JustBecause, vadernader, and my FPG assistant earned $15,000 for It's Always Less.  JustBecause earned an additional $50,000 for also taking It's Always Minus.

The big news, though, is that we have dual gold medalists.  Cephas and thepriceis_J nailed the first two games of the episode for max points... but struck out everywhere else.  Nobody could do better than that, so they held first place for the entire show.  WhammyPower788 also nailed the first two games for max MPs but put his "5" confidence rank on an unplayed game, so he'll have to settle for the bronze.

See you next Friday!

* = wildbill0962 won the tiebreaker for slotting both of his games in their correct halves.

** = therealcu2010 won the tiebreaker for slotting Secret "X" in its correct half.
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
Re: FPG 3/6/15 -- RESULTS
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 06:17:12 PM »
I somehow snuck into 6th after what seemed to be terrible picks, so I'll take it!!! I had noticed the trend in fee 1st but for some reason still thought Bag would be due and could show instead. If I had half a brain and picked Secret "X" like everyone else, it would be a different story. :P
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 06:24:48 PM »
Bill should actually get credit for 9th by himself. Bill, Jack and I all had 4/20 - Bill had 2 games in the correct half, and Jack and I each had 1. Hey look, I'm being honest here :)

I'm impressed that 3 managed to nail the first 2 games despite being completely blind - guess this week was pretty predictable after all.

Offline whammy007

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Thank Goodson It's Friday (Prediction Game)
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 06:26:29 PM »
Don't be trying to cheat yourself out of places, Kev... you have ninth by virtue of picking three games to Bill and Jack's two each. That comes before the correct-half tiebreaker.

Anyway, I will say that I'm glad to be of service, Firey, in what way I can. I doubt live FPG will be an every-week thing, but I managed to get out of bed early enough, and the picks were already posted, so I had enough time to get them in the spreadsheet before the show began.

I was also lucky enough to somehow pick four correct games in this mess, so I'll take fifth and be happy with it. Hopefully the next game is a little more logic and a little less luck.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 06:29:39 PM by whammy007 »

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 06:35:06 PM »
Ah, nice! I didn't realize that tiebreaker applied first.

Good look Firey and thanks Scott for putting something together to make FPG scoring easier! I know it can be a pain.

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 06:38:45 PM »
I was also lucky enough to somehow pick four correct games in this mess, so I'll take fifth and be happy with it. Hopefully the next game is a little more logic and a little less luck.

Next week's episodes come from production week #704xK.  We haven't seen week #703xK yet.  That's coming on April 6-10.  No game for week #705xK because that's the start of NCAA March Madness.

Therefore, the next three FPGs will be semi-crapshoots.  April 10 will be fill-in-the-blanks.  The rest of the FPG season's episodes should be in proper chronological order.

By the way, I have set the 2015 Goodson-Dobkowitz Cup to begin on May 29.  That means there are only ten regular-season FPGs remaining.
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline JustBecause

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Waiting until the Time is Money Avatar is ready!
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 06:41:02 PM »
$65,000 in Key Game dollars makes 13th place feel a lot better :P

Offline Charizard632

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 06:46:32 PM »
I thought Money Game would not make it in because it has already been played 18 times this season, just like Most Expensive, Squeeze Play, Flip Flop, and Lucky Seven. This makes it the 19th time Money Game has been played this season, and I think it deserves a break for the next week.

I keep an Excel Spreadsheet to track how many times a game has been played, won, and lost.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 06:59:39 PM »
I thought Money Game would not make it in because it has already been played 18 times this season, just like Most Expensive, Squeeze Play, Flip Flop, and Lucky Seven. This makes it the 19th time Money Game has been played this season, and I think it deserves a break for the next week.

I keep an Excel Spreadsheet to track how many times a game has been played, won, and lost.

The fact that it had been played 18 times means it's more likely to show up, not less likely. If it was only played a few times a season then it would be less likely to show up in a given random week. Money Game (along with others you mentioned) usually show up every week or every other week, so if they haven't been played yet in a week they are likely to show.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline Prizes

• Director
  • Took a swing and my drive found twine!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, a WOF Community
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 09:06:28 PM »
GRV-style set of picks on a crapshoot week because that's the result I get.

Instead of the normal rules, next week we'll play FPGRV. Same rules/scoring as FPG, but you predict GRV's lineup instead.
Hard work increases the probability of serendipity. —Ken Poirot

Finally made it in life!

Offline TheGRVOfLightning

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • This is my favourite game.
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 10:28:10 PM »
But enough about my problems.  Actually, that's a lie.  Let's talk about one more problem I have.  Today is the last day that I go rogue and submit a GRV-style set of picks on a crapshoot week because that's the result I get.  A big, fat, big-breasted set of zeroes.

Instead of the normal rules, next week we'll play FPGRV. Same rules/scoring as FPG, but you predict GRV's lineup instead.

Wow... Let me just explain this. I submitted random picks as I had little time to think about picks. I feel kind of insulted by this. It feels really offensive to compare your picks to mine when I still attend school and have a life to live and It feels quite disgusting being told this after last year I made it to the Round of 12, Have had 3 Top Ten Finishes and Once finished in Third this season.

Also. How can you compare them when this week I didn't even SEND picks in to begin with!

In regards to Prizes idea. I don't think it would work. However if BRB wants to do that then he can. All he has to do is send his picks to Prizes. Then Prizes sends me a PM saying PICKS SENT and I send my picks to Prizes. (This would be to prevent the possibility of me sending my picks before BRB and as a result due to me sending my picks he'd get an instant first by seeing them and copying them.)
My sports teams are

AFL (Australia): North Melbourne, NRL: Melbourne Storm, NHL: Anaheim Ducks, AHL: San Diego Gulls, NBA: Los Angeles Lakers, NFL: San Francisco 49ers, MLB: Boston Red Sox, MLS: LA Galaxy, Super Rugby: Melbourne Rebels, Big Bash League: Melbourne Stars, A-League: Melbourne Victory, ABL (Australian Baseball League): Melbourne Aces, AIHL (Australian Ice Hockey League): Melbourne Ice, NBL (National Basketball League [Australia]): Melbourne United, Premier League: Manchester United

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 11:33:56 PM »
This was a bit of luck and paying attention.

I was hoping they'd continue the trend of fee game 1st, if so, that left like five or six games. Looking at the cashers, I was going to completely neglect a GP casher at all this week and go Punch with Hi-Lo or Check-Out to start. I decided however that a GP casher was the likelier to happen. That left two SP fee games to go first at that point. Bonus and X. I suppose one could say, X was the easier pick since they'd just played Bonus' sister Shell, but honestly, that wasn't the soundest reasoning to me. I picked X because it's easier to win, which is what they'd want on the fee game prize representing the week's theme, and they have continued to break a semi-decades long trend of X never being first (they played it first once in Season 41) by playing it first three times already this season.

The car game was a crap shoot. If they decided to play it second, it would probably be Money, but if they didn't and went third, it could've been anything. I would've picked MoL if I hadn't chosen Bag as the casher. Bag was a guess that just didn't pay off.

Not only my 1st top 3 finish, but my first win. This is very nice.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline Cephas

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2015, 09:43:47 AM »
Well, this was a nice surprise.

I also figured an easy fee game would be first. I thought X was the most likely choice, but Bonus and NoT were just as possible. Instead of throwing darts at the other games, I just decided to put all three of those in.

I knew Money had been played almost every week, but the other car game was truly a crapshoot. In fact, nearly every car game could have worked.

I honestly made my lineup to avoid a skunking rather than to win. I hardly ever slot games correctly, so nailing two in one week was very surprising to me. My shiny gold medal looks very nice in my virtual trophy case :-)