Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 4/1/2015 (TPiR Season 43 April Fools Day Special)  (Read 20288 times)

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
Re: TPiR Recap - 4/1/2015 (TPiR Season 43 April Fools Day Special)
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2015, 07:13:11 PM »
It was a very enjoyable show. Bob's appearance was of course the highlight, but we also had tripled fun and two dollar spins on the wheel, plus the Grand Game win. Showing the old Grand clip on the TV prize was a nice touch.

That's how you do an AFD show up right.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2015, 07:42:22 PM »
The best part of the show for me was the interaction between Bob and Mary when she came on stage. 10/10 would watch again.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline UniquePerspective

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The More You Know.
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2015, 07:54:47 PM »
So...call me crazy, but I wouldn't say this was my favorite April Fool's episode ever.

Now, before you tie me to the Range Game prop for 37 hours, hear me out. Yes, the Bob segment was great. Nobody can deny that. However, I feel like they could've done a lot more with the show as a whole instead of Bob appearing for just one game and the end. You could've had a different host for every segment, or even at a minimum had Bob at least do the second pricing game. I guess I just sort of feel...shortchanged. Even in the Bob segment there maybe could've been classic cues or the yellow slot being orange for a day.
Yeah...let's make this current shall we?

Season 39 CSS Stats:
Games: 7 Top 10 Finishes: 2 Top 5 Finishes: 1 Overs: 3 DSW:0 WSD: 0 GOTC: 3 WOTC: 0

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2015, 09:30:01 PM »
Keep in mind, in terms of Bob's entrance, it's a different director. While Adam could've reverted back to the camera blocking used in Bob's reign, that might've required some rehearsal with Bob, and they obviously didn't want to wear Bob out.

Rehearsing the old camera blocking wouldn't require Bob to be present -- just tell Gwendolyn to stay near the edge of the stage and have the cameras go through the motions a couple of times. As far as Bob is concerned, he just has to walk out to the same spot where he walked for 35 years.

They may not have had a corded microphone for Bob, but they did write his One Bid card so it would slide out of the left side of the envelope like he was used to.

Sonia's haphazard number-picking turned Any Number into an actual test of pricing skill. Once the 2 and the 1 landed in the piggy bank, a loyal fan could theorize that the missing number was 0. Which meant that the entire game hinged on knowing whether the laptop was $597 or $897.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2015, 09:52:28 PM »
A few more thoughts now that I've watched the rest of the show (and re-watched the first segment):

After watching a second time, Bob's entrance didn't look quite as bad as I had originally perceived. Also, as someone else mentioned, it probably would have required much more effort to set up the classic shot (not with Bob, but with the cameras, production equipment, etc), and for all we know, maybe it was planned and technical issues arose during rehearsal or something.

Similar to GuyWithFace, I was so lost in the moment after the Lucky $even win that I was expecting Bob to throw to commercial, reminding us viewers that more Price is Right was coming up. I wish they have used him in a larger capacity, but I am more than satisfied with what we were given. Just to see Bob host a pricing game, if, though hopefully not, one last time was all I needed to see.

Man, were we close to having a perfect show today... Wait, Bob hosted the first segment like a pro, so regardless of the outcome, today's show was perfect in my book!

A 3-way-tie in the first Showcase Showdown?? It's amazing enough when that happens on a normal show, but today, of all days? Wow!

The first Showcase could have been a bit more meaty, especially to be followed up with the Mini Cooper and a Cadillac. And holy crap, a Cadillac!!! We need more of those!

All in all, today's April Fools' show, despite being spoiled slightly, could not have gone any better. What a thrill and a treat it must have been to be in the audience that day, with absolutely no clue in regard to what was about to go down.

And yes, a tear did come to my eye during Lucky $even. I couldn't hold it back.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline RedWing512

• In the Audience
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2015, 10:15:40 PM »
Since I don't post here often, let me begin by saying that I am a lifelong Price fan—I've watched the show since I was too young to remember, and still enjoy watching Drew's version to this day. I should also add that I personally feel like some of the criticism towards Drew and his "version" of the show is unwarranted, but that's a topic for another time.

Having said that, it was obviously cool to see Bob come through the Big Doors and begin the show, and his hosting of Lucky $even was fantastic. For those who say they wish Bob could have played a larger part in the show, however, there are a couple of things to remember—first, Bob is 91, and is getting increasingly frail—and as we saw as he came out of the Big Doors—his mobility is not quite where it used to be. For a show that requires a lot of moving (and some overly-excited contestants), it's just not something that's very feasible.

In addition, it seemed that during the first One-Bid, he was a little "off", as he forgot to mention the whole "This item goes to..." spiel until just right before he revealed the price. Now, whether that was due to him being in retirement/away from the show, or more because he's just not quite as sharp as he used to be is up for debate.

Also, as a side note...those wishing for Drew to begin hosting the show like Bob did today—forget it. It's not going to happen, and if you're hoping/wishing for the day it does, well, you're barking up the wrong tree (no pun intended).

At any rate, it was a treat to see, and while the April Fools' "twist" as a whole was more subdued than in past years, it still made for a great show.

Offline Ronic

• In the Audience
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2015, 10:19:35 PM »
This is what I wrote on the official TPIR FB page...

'With Bob having hosted at least one segment of today's TPIR, Bob has now hosted at least that much of the show in 5 consecutive decades...the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s(where he withDrew in June 2007(see what I did? XD)), and 2010s. And Bob proved today, that though he's 91 years and change of age, HE STILL HAS IT!!!

Age is but a number, guys! I thank The Price Is Right, it's production company, Drew Carey, and the WGMC himself, Mr. Bob Barker, for creating that loving April Fools Day 2015 surprise! Nothing wrong with a Throwback sometimes! =D'

And I stand by those words, no matter nothing. =)

Offline TPIRob

• 1/3/2000
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2015, 10:37:26 PM »
I wonder if the producers gave Bob direction as to where the 1st IUFB was positioned?  When he introduced it, he didn't seem to know where it was...he appeared lost there.  Anyone else catch that?

Awesome to see him host again.  I think they should do a primetime special "classic" TPIR and LMAD with Bob and Monty hosting their respective shows.  Now wouldn't THAT be something?

Rob

Online SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2015, 10:43:24 PM »
I don't think there's much I can say here that hasn't already been said.  Watching Bob host one more time was nothing short of amazing.  The man may be 91, but if he were still doing this on a regular basis, there's no doubt in my mind he would have been absolutely flawless this morning.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline germanname

• Outside in Line
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2015, 11:29:10 PM »
This was certainly one of the best shows I've seen in quite a while. Yeah, the car wasn't won on Any Number, but at least the piggy bank wasn't either.

As for Grand Game, I was a little worried about the shaving cream being $4.00 although I would've went with it over the balsamic vinaigrette. Nonetheless, after the price of the shaving cream was revealed, I kept screaming hashbrowns. Gabriel seemed to listen for a sweet ten grand.

So for no full-fledged losses today, that was great. The only things that could've gone better in my opinion was if the car was won on Any Number, and if Bob's showcase was won, if not both obviously. Other than that, Bob chose the right day to appear. He may have lost just a small bit of his flair after almost eight years since his retirement, but he still performed well during the first segment today for a 91-year-old retiree. So, good for you, Bob!  :-)
What to really say when playing One Away: Oh mighty sound effects lady in the heavens above, do I have all five numbers right?

Offline Bobby McBride

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2015, 11:39:59 PM »
L$: Even though it couldn't have been won w/ the four 5's trick, Mary didn't need it when Bob was hosting it!

S?: I knew the prices had to be switched because of the -00 rule for TVs.

F-F: And we have a perfect first half.

SCSD #1: On top of that, we have a dollar spinner in a three-way spin-off.

Range: Not surprised they put the price of that Sea-Doo GTS about in the middle to keep the winning streak alive...

an: ...until this. Unlike the last playing w/ the same Spark, you couldn't have won it if you started with 9 & went down to 3.

Grand: About as easy as it will get these days.

SCSD #2: Another dollar spinner.

Showcases: On the two-car Showcase, either Paulette bid too quickly or she hasn't been shopping for Cadillacs.

Great show today.

Offline germanname

• Outside in Line
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2015, 11:42:25 PM »
Sorry for the double post, but by the way, although Gabriel wasn't able to make it to the showcase, I don't feel sorry for him at all. In fact, I'm pretty envious of him. He's got $10,000 cash and a pair of iPads. No doubt it'll be very easy for him to pay taxes on what he got. I'm certain he was better off not making it to the showcase.
What to really say when playing One Away: Oh mighty sound effects lady in the heavens above, do I have all five numbers right?

Offline bhall96992

• In the Audience
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2015, 11:48:06 PM »
I thought he did well after being away for almost 8 years. It was fun to see him give away the SUV, especially because she played Lucky Seven so well. That being said, I would have liked to see him host a different game. He looked like he was limping when he came through the doors, so to see him come to contestant's row, only to watch him go back to door #2 didn't seem like a good idea to me.  Personally, I think I would have let him do Any Number, since it's a shorter walk to the turntable, and they had already decided to play the game anyway. Or if the producers wanted to be sure he gave away a car and not the notebook, Spelling Bee or Money Game could have been another option, because they use the turntable, too. Forgive me if I seem too critical; I just think they could have planned his appearance to be a little less physically demanding for Bob.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2015, 12:00:11 AM »
After watching a second time, Bob's entrance didn't look quite as bad as I had originally perceived. Also, as someone else mentioned, it probably would have required much more effort to set up the classic shot (not with Bob, but with the cameras, production equipment, etc), and for all we know, maybe it was planned and technical issues arose during rehearsal or something.

I can't imagine it would really be an issue if they were inclined to do it. The current blocking is considerably more complicated since they have to hide the stage-right camera off-stage as Drew is walking out. Under the old blocking, the cameras basically start out in their Contestants Row positions from the beginning, especially since they stopped using the practical light box.

As for why Bob didn't host more than one act, I think his downstage walk should have made that clear. Bob did a phenomenal job today, but he clearly doesn't have the energy to do a full hour of hosting, much less five hours every week.

I wish we could have seen the full audience reaction. It was clearly edited (I assume for time).  I also wonder whether there may have a been a stopdown between his entrance and the first IUFB in order to give the usual reminder to contestants to not "break Bob."  I was getting a little nervous when Mary got on stage and when she won, but she seemed deliberately gentle about touching Bob. I'm just curious as to whether she'd been warned, or if Bob's fragility is just self-evident now and they didn't figure it needed to be said.

Offline Priceboi1983

• In Contestant's Row
  • Come on Down!
    • Justin's Facebook Page
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2015, 12:14:41 AM »
OK this show will go down in history as the most epic April Fool's Day shows since Drew took over. Soon as door 2 opened and Bob was there, the tears began to flow as memories of my childhood came flooding back. It was fitting to have Bob as the doors have that classic Barker feel to them now yet modern and for Bob to host Lucky $even and not miss a beat was icing on the cake. I hope Bob is around come December 12th and they have Bob back for another birthday show.
And all this could be yours if... The Price is Right