Author Topic: Refusing to Come On Down when called?  (Read 4493 times)

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
Refusing to Come On Down when called?
« on: February 28, 2007, 12:24:20 PM »
If you're called to Come On Down but choose not go to Contestants' Row, are you considered ineligible to be considered as a contestant in the future just as if you had come on down?

I know, it seems like a silly question.  But it's not.

One of my pet peeves about TPIR is that the last person called to Come On Down only gets one chance to come up on stage, and that's it forever.  Even if some FFBC-bound drunken fratboy outbids you by one dollar, as far as your status as a contestant is concerned, that's it for the rest of your life.  I don't think that's fair, but those are the rules, so be it.

So I was wondering: if a contestant hears his name, but realizes it's the ninth and final game and decides he'd prefer to take his chances repeating the whole process from the beginning on a future taping, would that be okay?

Or is it a case of - when Rich calls, it's now or never?
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
Re: Refusing to Come On Down when called?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 12:50:10 PM »
Scott, who's out in the line during the contestant interviews, is also in the studio during the taping, and once a name is called, if the person doesn't immediately jump up, he'll look for them in the audience. So if you were in the audience and refused to stand up, he'd find you and point you out. And if you still refused to come on down... good luck getting picked again after the staff sees your lack of cooperation.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 01:21:34 PM »
If you refuse, would they have to use physical force to get you down to the row?

Offline MrDeePay

• In the Audience
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 01:33:53 PM »
I'm pretty sure that if your name called to come on down (unless your name was misread/called or something), your TPIR eligibility has been used up.

Offline Marc

• Executive Producer
    • Golden Road
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 01:41:19 PM »

ilovesuperball wrote:
If you refuse, would they have to use physical force to get you down to the row?

No tact from me here – this has to be one of the stupidest things that I have read on this site in a very long time.

Ilovesuperball, going forward I ask that you put a little more thought into your posts.

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 01:50:40 PM »
My apologies, Marc. I thought that was dumb too. Just wonderin'.

Offline BuddyTom

• Double Showcase Winner
  • It says what it means.
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 03:13:19 PM »
There's nothing you can do about being called late in the show; if a frat boy one-ups you, enjoy your CNAOS prizes. But just going to taping doesn't mean that you have to have an interview to be called. If you feel you're not in top form and you'd tank your game, you can always just... not try. :-D
BuddyTom
CSS Host emeritus (served 2006-10)

-- Freude!

Offline joechopchop

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • My Myspace Page
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 10:58:39 PM »
Almost sounds like a Duff thread, doesn't it?

Offline LaurenC09

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 12:24:36 AM »
Haha, now be nice, joe. I think that even if you didn't want to go down, and your name was called you would have some kind of a reaction that would allow the camera crew to pick you out anyway. And if you were with people, they would all be jumping up and down and you can't really hide when that happens.

But isn't it an honor just be in the audience, let alone being picked to come on down?!

Offline junkaholic95

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2007, 12:45:23 AM »
I would just like to say that this thread is getting nowhere in quite a hurry.  Personally, my feeling is this.  If you went through the whole process just to get inside, I don't think your gonna care whether you're first, last or in between.  You'll be happy just to get your chance no matter how futile it may seem.  There have been a fair share of lucky stiffs who seemed to have no chance of making it before.

Offline tomxconn

• 4/16/98
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2007, 01:11:41 AM »
One of my pet peeves about TPIR is that the last person called to Come On Down only gets one chance to come up on stage, and that's it forever...I don't think that's fair, but those are the rules, so be it.

Yep, I know that feeling all too well.  As I had 5 times before, when the moment came for person #9 to be called, I hoped I wouldn't be called, so I could come back another time.  But when Rod called me, all within one second, I cringed (NO!), then decided "whatever happens happens; might as well be a ham."  So I let it all out, in case I didn't win.

Disappointing yes, but what can you do?  Someone has to go 9th.  It's happened to hundreds of other folks over the years.  But as I kept telling friends...better to come on down & lose than never come on down at all.  Still one of the most electrifying single minutes of my life, and some really fun times I had at CBS with folks from all over the U.S.
"What would you do with $11,000?"

"I'd get my wife off my back!"

Offline Madonna

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2007, 04:08:28 PM »
All I can say is if someone ever got called on down and refused to head to Contestant's Row, I would find myself shaking my head over that for a long time. And, if it ever happened while I was in the studio, you can bet I'd start screaming "I'll take their place!"

Tom, I can definitely agree that ninth would not be my ideal spot to be picked - nor anyone else's.. But, believe me, I would be just as happy getting picked ninth as first.. It's something I've dreamed of doing for nearly 28 years.

Getting picked first for me would be like if I had gotten a hug and an autograph from Madge last June.

Getting pick ninth would be like what I did get on June 3: A wave and eye contact. Not quite the moment of all-time, but still pretty damned amazing and electrifying - something I'd never forget.

Believe me, I'd have no complaints.

And, believe me, under no circumstances would I refuse to head on down to Contestant's Row if Rich ever shouted out my name. I don't care if I broke both legs jumping up and down. I'd crawl. I'd have have some carry me. But, you can bet I'd get there...

So, forgive me for scratching my head a little over this thread. Why on Earth would someone refuse such an honor is beyond me. :-?
In loving and eternal memory of a truly beautiful goddess.

Offline garffreak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2007, 08:46:03 PM »
I would have much rather been called 9th than never get called at all.  I can't believe that some people would deny their chance to be on the show just because of a lesser chance of winning something big.  Sad.
New TPiR Announcer: Gilbert Gottfried.  See?  Things *can* be worse.

Offline GameShowDude

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2007, 09:12:09 AM »
Here's a fair way to pick the order of the contestants being called.  At the contestant cattle call all of the contestant wannabes take a short test.  The person with the highest grade gets to be the first to come on down, the one with the next-highest grade second, and so on.

Offline FlipFlopper7769

• 4/10/2007
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2007, 10:11:56 AM »
A test??!! No that wouldn't really work for TPiR. For one thing, people come to the show to have fun, not to go back to school again! Plus you would have to grade each and every test instead of looking back at a few people from the interviews. I doubt that after waiting all night people will wait even longer while the producers grade tests
You can go ahead and call me "Mr. Money Game"!
I was on TPiR: Jan 8, 2007!  AIR DATE: Apr. 10, 2007!