Author Topic: Millionaire News From Chad Mosher  (Read 5908 times)

Offline wildbill0962

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Golden Road's Unofficial Official Bracketologist
Millionaire News From Chad Mosher
« on: June 22, 2015, 05:34:17 PM »
According to our friend Chad Mosher, the new season of Who Wants to be a Millionaire will feature the return of two classic staples of the show: the money tree and 50:50. Read about it here: http://chadmosher.com/wordpress/millionaire-roots/
Pete Carroll has the biggest balls in the world.

10th place in 2010-2011 CSS
16th place in 2011-2012 CSS
17th place in 2012-2013 CSS

B/R Profile: http://bleacherreport.com/users/1048731-bill-riccette
Follow me on Twitter for my take on the Eagles, NCAA Tournament Bracketology and various sports topics @Bill_Riccette https://twitter.com/Bill_Riccette
http://billriccettenfl.wordpress.com/

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
Re: Millionaire News From Chad Mosher
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 05:45:20 PM »
I like that they're bringing back 50:50.  That lifeline forces a contestant to ponder a question carefully before walking away or going for it and winning money or dropping down to the last safe haven.  I won't miss the retirement of Jump the Question; contestants could forfeit some significant money from their personal bank (one taping I saw last year featured a contestant jumping what turned out to be the $25,000 question). 

As for the money tree itself, I wish there were 15 questions, per tradition, and that the money amounts double, rather than increase by increments ($500, $1,000, $2,000, $3,000, $10,000, $50,000, $100,000, and $500,000).  Having the "double" aspect of the previous money tree helped elevate the tension and risk that was associated with the game.  But I'll take the return of the money tree in any form.

I'm optimistic about the changes this season.  I might catch a taping or two in Stamford, when I get the opportunity, but I wonder if this will be enough to get viewers back to the show (hopefully we'll finally see a Millionaire crowned this year).
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline TPIRFan2000

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 05:49:42 PM »
That is some great news! I haven't actively watched Millionaire in quite a while but if it's true I might begin watching again.
I hadn't really thought about this before, but the reality of death means that every day there are less people in the world than the day before.  In reality there are many more people in the world than this but for illustration: If one day there are 1000 people in the world and the next day 55 people die, now there are 945 people in the world. if 30 more die the next day now there are 915 people in the world. So we'll eventually become extinct as will all creatures as the same reality applies to dogs, cats, horses etc.

Offline ethawne2015

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 06:10:55 PM »
Ditching that godawful Shuffle format is the best thing to happen to WWTBAM in a long time.

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 06:36:22 PM »
Amazing. Just goes to show if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline Coupon Boy

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 07:02:03 PM »
THANK GOODNESS!!!! :-D :-D :-D

Given the amount of $1,000 bomb-outs last season (i.e. roughly 50% of games!), it's great to see they reinstated the $5,000 mile-stone. Also, I'm quite surprised they upped the middle milestone to $50,000 given it seems they've been trying to cut back a lot in the past 2 seasons. 8-O I have a strong feeling that an average of roughly 1 player each week will make it that far, though, especially with there being little incentive to go for it unless your absolutely sure at the $20k and $30k levels.

As far as Jump the Question, I think they mainly phased-out that lifeline to avoid a repeat of Josina Reeves' run. Now there's no hiding when it comes to the tricky Big Money questions. Overall, t's great to see Millionaire go back to the basics as a last ditch effort to save the show. :biggrin:

Won $79,525 on my first Host Your Own game.

Offline ethawne2015

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 07:14:51 PM »
Overall, t's great to see Millionaire go back to the basics as a last ditch effort to save the show. :biggrin:

I'm sorry, but this is a pet peeve of mine, and I have to speak up.  Yes, it is great to see them going "back to the basics," and there's no question that this move is designed to improve ratings.

But, where does "last ditch effort to save the show" come from?  Is this speculation on your part?  Do you have some inside information that the show's ratings are low enough that it's in immediate danger of cancellation?  What makes you think they're desperately grasping at straws?

I'd kindly ask that we acknowledge speculation as such, and if you have facts to back up a viewpoint, that you share them with us.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 10:27:09 PM »
Wow, so besides having one less question and the different money amounts, the show is pretty much reverting back to its original format if you consider Plus 1 to be an in-person Phone a Friend.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 10:38:38 PM »
Is it just me or did anyone else think 50:50 was rigged?

I'll admit I was very young while watching during the Regis days and haven't watched in years and years but I always thought the 50:50 would seem to always come down to the 2 selections the contestants talked about having a hard time to differentiate.

Like if it was A. 1 B. 5 C. 10 D. 100 a contestant might say "I think it's either 5 or 10 but I'm not sure, so I'm going to go with 50:50" and the 50:50 would eliminate A and D.

I'm sure now that I know about S&P and all that my opinion has changed a bit, but just a little tidbit I wanted to point out with the news of its return. I'm sure a lot of people thought about it before, heck it may even be a meme/trope for all I know.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 10:52:41 PM »
Is it just me or did anyone else think 50:50 was rigged?
There was a book about the show when it was relatively new (I want to say written by Michael Davies, but don't quote me on that), and they flat-out said that the 50:50 choices were pre-selected by the question writers, to always be the right answer and the most plausible wrong answer. Which is why the so-called "weirdo rule" worked as well as it did in those days.

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
  • ^ Top Notch Production Values ^
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 11:07:32 PM »
I'd love to see the day some dumbo comes on the show and says "I'll get more out of this first question by getting it wrong or leaving, so I'm gonna walk away with $1,000!"

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 11:51:59 AM »
I hated the shuffle format and i am glad the show is reverting back to the original format in a way. I hope they bring back the hot seats. I haven't watch the show faithfully since the Regis years and i was a kid.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 03:18:43 PM »
I'm going to attend a taping in Stamford, Connecticut on June 30th.  I won't post any gameplay spoilers, but anyone who's interested about the changes, feel free to PM me and I'll share my observations with you.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline TPIRighteous

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 06:39:37 PM »
There was a book about the show when it was relatively new (I want to say written by Michael Davies, but don't quote me on that), and they flat-out said that the 50:50 choices were pre-selected by the question writers, to always be the right answer and the most plausible wrong answer. Which is why the so-called "weirdo rule" worked as well as it did in those days.

That's deceitful, then, to say that the "computer" was "randomly" taking away two wrong answers. How did they not get in trouble for that?

Offline Punchboard91

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2015, 07:12:04 PM »
Because they never said it was random when the two choices taken away were predetermined. They even had a special on the show that showed them activating the 50/50 from a computer and talking about how it was predetermined.

Watch the Meredith shows, and you'll see she adds the word "randomly" when the 50/50 is used, because by this point, it was completely random.