Author Topic: Bonus Game suggestion  (Read 7606 times)

Offline OldPrice75

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Bonus Game suggestion
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2007, 09:14:07 PM »
SteveGavazzi wrote:

Believe it or not, that's the only playing of Double Prices on the nighttime show in the second, third, fourth, and fifth seasons.

Whoa...maybe Range Game had a breakdown?  

SteveGavazzi wrote:

It was played once that week, once the next week, and then vanished again for the next three. Once Season 4 started, it seems like it just picked back up like it had never been away.

Weird...I'm not even going to try to guess why they did that.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2007, 09:19:21 PM »
Actually, I kinda' suspected they might've been planning on retiring the game altogether.  Yay for it not happening, I guess

Offline OldPrice75

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2007, 10:18:28 AM »
I thought so, too. Did they bring it back for two playings and decide they didn't want it?  And then change their minds again at the beginning of Season 4?

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2007, 12:03:00 PM »
I have no idea.  I do know that Shell Game wasn't played during those two weeks, which sort of suggests a breakdown...but what part of Shell Game could break down?

Maybe it's something for the next Q&A...if we ever get around to finishing the last one, Sally.  (HINT, HINT)
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2007, 12:31:17 PM »

OldPrice75 wrote:
Yeah, the nighttime show had so few games that they needed as many as possible.  How many did it use at that point...9 or 10 games?

I don't get why they wouldn't use all available games on both versions of the show, or on the other hand retire a game from both versions.  It seems unusual to me that they would decide to only play Game X on the daytime show and only play Game Y on the nighttime.  Since both shows were half an hour long for part of the period we're discussing, I assume it didn't have anything to do with different time constraints.  Did the different choices of games on the two versions have something to do with the different prize budgets (nighttime's being bigger)?

John

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2007, 01:19:14 PM »
It's been said in the past that the nighttime show used a limited rotation because Dennis James was kind of a dope when it came to remembering the rules.

Doesn't explain Bonus Game, but at least it answers the other half of the question.

Offline WarioBarker

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Azumanga WHO - my first-ever published work!
    • DeviantART Profile (see what I'm up to!)
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2007, 01:23:56 PM »
'I don't get why they wouldn't use all available games on both versions of the show, or on the other hand retire a game from both versions.'

Bonus Game was never played in the same episode as Shell Game. I don't think that it ever happened. By the way, does anybody know why the following occurred?

From the FAQ:
'Week 12 (1,128 – 129xK): December 6-10
· Friday show has Season 28's only playing of Shell Game.'

'It seems unusual to me that they would decide to only play Game X on the daytime show and only play Game Y on the nighttime. Since both shows were half an hour long for part of the period we're discussing, I assume it didn't have anything to do with different time constraints.'

That would be September 4th, 1972-September 5th, 1975/September 15th-October 31st, 1975 {the first three seasons and part of the fourth} for those of you just coming into the conversation.

'Did the different choices of games on the two versions have something to do with the different prize budgets (nighttime's being bigger)?'

It's a possibility. Hey Steve, I've got a question now: Could you tell us which Pricing Games were played on the nighttime show? Then we'll know which (if any) were NOT played. Did Dennis James get to walk down the Golden Road, for example?
-Daniel "Did He?" Benfield
Quote from: The_Great_Butler
WarioBarker is exactly right.
This post ©2009 DB Enterprises, Inc. -- But at least it wasn't my fault Drew removed the ability to comment from his blog.

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2007, 01:26:29 PM »

SteveGavazzi wrote:
It's been said in the past that the nighttime show used a limited rotation because Dennis James was kind of a dope when it came to remembering the rules.

Just as well that he didn't get hired for the daytime show, then.

Doesn't explain Bonus Game, but at least it answers the other half of the question.

Indeed it does.  Thanks, Steve.

John

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2007, 04:15:35 PM »
Daniel Benfield wrote:

Hey Steve, I've got a question now: Could you tell us which Pricing Games were played on the nighttime show? Then we'll know which (if any) were NOT played. Did Dennis James get to walk down the Golden Road, for example?

Let's see...

The first season had Any Number, Bonus Game, Double Prices, Grocery Game, Clock Game, Five Price Tags, Most Expensive, and a single playing of Range Game.  According to the tale of the game's origins, there was also a single playing of Double Bullseye; if this is true and there are no mistakes in the rest of the stats, then tales of Bullseye being the first game on the first nighttime episode are false, because there isn't any room left for it.

In the second season, Lucky Seven was added; Double Prices and Most Expensive were not played that year.

Shell Game and Money Game were added in Season 3; Most Expensive also returned, and Double Prices was played a single time.  Bonus Game was played 12 times, and Shell Game was played 13 times.

In Season 4, 1 Right Price and Race Game were added.  Double Prices was ditched again.

In Season 5, they added Cliff Hangers, Danger Price, 3 Strikes, Dice Game, and Hurdles.  Again, no Double Prices.

Any Number was the most frequently played car game in each season; Lucky Seven tied it in Season 3.

Offline OldPrice75

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2007, 08:16:44 PM »
Sounds like you have all the PG lineups, Steve.  8-)

SteveGavazzi wrote:

The first season had Any Number, Bonus Game, Double Prices, Grocery Game, Clock Game, Five Price Tags, Most Expensive, and a single playing of Range Game. According to the tale of the game's origins, there was also a single playing of Double Bullseye; if this is true and there are no mistakes in the rest of the stats, then tales of Bullseye being the first game on the first nighttime episode are false, because there isn't any room left for it.

How come that can't be the case?  I'm confused.  :-?

SteveGavazzi wrote:

In the second season, Lucky Seven was added; Double Prices and Most Expensive were not played that year.

Whoa!  Most Expensive wasn't in season 2?  That could really help with dating J-shea's shows.  

Shell Game and Money Game were added in Season 3; Most Expensive also returned, and Double Prices was played a single time.

This again could help with dating.

Bonus Game was played 12 times, and Shell Game was played 13 times.

Wow, I didn't know that.  

In Season 4, 1 Right Price and Race Game were added. Double Prices was ditched again.

Even though the daytime show's first 1RP aired first, the nighttime show's was likely taped first (one playing was taped 8/11; the Sept. 11 daytime show was likely taped 8/30 or later).  

SteveGavazzi wrote:
I have no idea. I do know that Shell Game wasn't played during those two weeks, which sort of suggests a breakdown...but what part of Shell Game could break down?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Maybe they were doing something to the prize podiums?????

Daniel Benfield wrote:

Bonus Game was never played in the same episode as Shell Game. I don't think that it ever happened.

Sure didn't, sure won't.  

Daniel Benfield wrote:

'Did the different choices of games on the two versions have something to do with the different prize budgets (nighttime's being bigger)?'

No; nighttime didn't even use Golden Road!

Offline OldPrice75

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2007, 09:24:15 PM »
All right, I've just been through all J-shea's shows plus 125-N, and I've made a chart including PG lineups and possible seasons it could've been taped in.  This only accounts for PG lineups, nothing else.  There's also a total of times played for each game.  The shows are organized by air date.  

BTW, Steve, did Range Game become added (except for the season one playing) in season 2 or 3?

This thing's an absolute mess the way this website posts stuff, so sorry in advance.

1973 (4 shows)            (Seasons Possible)   

8/1973      Any Number/Grocery Game/Most Expensive   (1)
1973-5      Bonus Game/Any Number/Most Expensive   (1)
1973-6      ?/Grocery Game/Most Expensive      (1)
1973-7      Bonus Game/Any Number/Clock Game   (1) or 2      

1973 TOTALS (12 games)

Any Number: 3
Bonus Game: 2
Most Expensive: 3
Grocery Game: 2
Clock Game: 1               
Unknown: 1

1974 (10 shows)            (Seasons Possible)

1974-1      Lucky Seven/Most Expensive/Bonus Game   (1 or 3)
1974-3      Clock Game/Money Game/Bonus Game   (3)
1974-4      Lucky Seven/Bonus Game/Most Expensive   (1 or 3)
4/9/74      Grocery Game/Any Number/Most Expensive   (1)
1974-8      Clock Game/Money Game/Bonus Game   (3)
1974-11      Grocery Game/Any Number/Clock Game   (1, 2, or 3)      
1974-12      Any Number/Grocery Game/Most Expensive   (1 or 3)
1974-13      Any Number/Bonus Game/Clock Game   (1, 2, or 3)      
12/17/74   Shell Game/Any Number/Range Game   (3)
12/24/74   Grocery Game/Money Game/Most Expensive   (3)

1974 TOTALS (30 games)

Any Number: 5
Lucky Seven: 2
Money Game: 3
Bonus Game: 5
Shell Game: 1
Grocery Game: 4
Clock Game: 4
Most Expensive: 5
Range Game: 1

1975 (21 shows)            (Seasons Possible)

1/14/75      Lucky Seven/Shell Game/Range Game   (3)
1/21/75      Any Number/Bonus Game/Range Game   (2 or 3)
2/11/75      Lucky Seven/Grocery Game/Most Expensive   (3)
2/25/75      5 Pricetags/Range Game/Any Number   (2 or 3)
3/11/75      Grocery Game/Money Game/Clock Game   (3)
3/18/75      Lucky Seven/Shell Game/Most Expensive   (3)
3/25/75      Grocery Game/Money Game/Clock Game   (3)
4/1/75      Lucky Seven/Grocery Game/Most Expensive   (3)
4/8/75      ?/Money Game/Range Game      (3)   
4/29/75      Any Number/Shell Game/Range Game   (3)
5/13/75      Shell Game/Any Number/Most Expensive   (3)
5/20/75      5 Pricetags/Grocery Game/Money Game   (3)
5/27/75      Grocery Game/Any Number/Double Prices   (3)
7/15/75      Any Number/Bonus Game/Range Game   (2 or 3)
8/19/75      Lucky Seven/Most Expensive/Grocery Game   (3)
9/2/75      Lucky Seven/Most Expensive/Grocery Game   (3 or 4)
9/16/75      Lucky Seven/Most Expensive/Shell Game   (3 or 4)
10/28/75   Lucky Seven/Grocery Game/1 Right Price   (4)
1975-1      Lucky Seven/Grocery Game/Range Game   (3 or 4)
1975-9      1 Right Price/Grocery Game/Money Game   (4)
1975 # 125-N   1 Right Price/Any Number/Grocery Game   (4)

1975 TOTALS (63 games)

Any Number: 7
Lucky Seven: 9
5 Pricetags: 2
Money Game: 5
Bonus Game: 2
Shell Game: 5
Grocery Game: 12
Clock Game: 2
Most Expensive: 8
Range Game: 7
1 Right Price: 3
Unknown: 1

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2007, 10:51:03 PM »
First of all, I don't have any pricing game lineups for the nighttime show.  I just have full-season stats.

Range Game was rotated normally starting with Season 2.

Bullseye and Double Bullseye couldn't have both been played because, assuming all of Roger's other stats for Season 1 are complete (he didn't keep records for those two games), there's enough playings recorded to fill 38 and 2/3 shows.  That only leaves one unrecorded playing.

Offline OldPrice75

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2007, 10:13:25 AM »
Got it.    ;-)