Author Topic: TPIR Recap - 09/23/15 (Decades Week Day 3: 1990s)  (Read 19192 times)

Offline TPIRFan2000

• Taking a Bonus Spin
TPIR Recap - 09/23/15 (Decades Week Day 3: 1990s)
« on: September 23, 2015, 02:26:24 PM »

Episode Clips
Easy As 1-2-3
It's in the Bag

Much of the east coast saw preemption of this episode due to Pope Francis' visit to the United States.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 08:20:16 AM by PayingTheRent »
I hadn't really thought about this before, but the reality of death means that every day there are less people in the world than the day before.  In reality there are many more people in the world than this but for illustration: If one day there are 1000 people in the world and the next day 55 people die, now there are 945 people in the world. if 30 more die the next day now there are 915 people in the world. So we'll eventually become extinct as will all creatures as the same reality applies to dogs, cats, horses etc.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
Re: TPIR Recap - 9/23/15 (Decades Week Day 3 - 1990s)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 03:10:24 PM »
Cover Up: That was a nice tribute to the games that were retired in the 90s. And a great win on top of it!

Eazy az 1 2 3: That sure was easy!

Side by Side: That was a total crapshoot, but great win nonetheless.

Line em Up: What was up with overpricing the Spark on both turns?

Push Over: As soon as I saw the setup, I knew that $9,887 was the obvious choice.

It's in the Bag: I would've stopped at the shaving cream.

Showcases: Disappointing to see that neither Showcase had a car in it, but I liked them both.

Miscellaneous: When was the last time a show had perfect bids on consecutive IUFBs? As shocking as it is to see Drew with gray hair, I think it's nowhere near as shocking as when the real Bob hosted his first gray-haired show in 1987. FWIW, I think Drew pulled the look off well by incorporating those of both Bob and Bill to make his own. Now on to the 2000s...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 03:19:40 PM by Teddy »

Offline Schfifty

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 03:15:20 PM »
Great wins in the first three games, especially in Cover Up. The gag was really cool, seeing the names of the retired games retired in the respective decade. Whoever came up with the gag idea deserves some credit.

We didn't get to see Push Over, but from the recap of it, that setup was very easy to not lose; it was just a matter of picking one or the other, and $9,887 seems more likely what a trip to SA could cost than $8,871. Nice win there.

These shows this week have been nothing but awesome. Decades Week is shaping up to be one of the best themed weeks of all time. Let's hope the streak of 3+ wins continues tomorrow with the 2000s!
"I think everybody's weird. We should all celebrate our individuality and not be embarrassed or ashamed of it.”  — Johnny Depp

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 03:24:27 PM »
Having Cover Up played today and Drew mentioning its premiere date made me wonder-- could the show possibly post it's premiere playing online?  As most of us know, it's premiere on that season's first episode was pre-empted except in very few markets, and we've seen they do have access to past episodes to show clips from, so it made me wonder if it is a possibility.  If it has already been put up in the past and I'm completely unaware, please direct me to viewing it.

I had a feeling The Drew Carey Show would get slipped in somewhere in the show today.  I was half expecting Kathy Kinney to appear dressed as Mimi lol.

So for the 2000s show will everyone in the audience be wearing Crocs and trucker hats?

Offline jlgarfield

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Rider Pride!
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 03:32:53 PM »
A solid show overall. :) This is my next-fave decade of all time, and this show didn't disappoint either. I am loving this week of show's so far, and I cannot wait for the last two that cover the 21st century.

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 03:47:40 PM »
It's Day 3 (The 90s Are All That) of Decades Week!

THE BAD NEWS:

Line 'Em Up: It was already over when Elliot thought that it was a $17K+ Spark.

IITB: Adam should've stopped at the shaving cream and left with $4K...Although, he sure did stepped on the models' toes when they were supposed to move the items.

THE GOOD NEWS:

Pushover: A easy win for Britanny!

Eazy As 123: Ditto for Jelecia!

Side By Side: Not bad by Debra!

Cover Up: Nice to see the pictures of the games that were retired on that decade...And it was a great win by Raven! And she's also going to Bora Bora!

THE BOTTOM LINE:

Yet another great show this week with a "phat" tribute to the 90s! I was a little surprised that today's show was uploaded on the CBS.com site so earlier than usual. Nevertheless, everyone was wearing some cool 90s gear and the production was well done. And Rachel in a Baywatch one-piece, running in slo-mo...(faints)...Pamela Anderson would've been proud, indeed.

To the 00s tomorrow!!

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 04:06:37 PM »
Overall choice of cues today was poor, especially considering the wide array they were using in the 90's. That aspect today felt nothing like the show I remembered as a kid.

Like yesterday, they easily could have done more with contestants row and showcase podia to make them authentic, and the turntable colors were way off -- the LED strips along the steps could have been red to match the carpet, the pattern on the walls be the classic purple, red and orange, and the space in between gold.

Honestly, today didn't wow me like the previous two days did. The light border was perfect, but the opening spiel was off a tad. Unless I misheard George, I think he just said "The Price is Right" instead of "the fabulous, 60 minute...." The rest was right, though, including the BBS part that was added in '98.

The lineup was kind of bland, not that they had a huge selection of not bland games to choose from for that decade. I don't know...the entire show just didn't have that season premiere week feel to it. The prizes weren't very extravagant, and the second showcase was very cheap, considering the week this is.

Drew's audience entrance was probably the highlight for me, but I was hoping it would be followed by something more substantial than the cheap car they played for in Cover Up.

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, as this show was pretty darn good by normal standards, but I feel like they largely missed the mark in emulating the 1990's, especially with how well they did with the 70's and 80's.

Oh, and there was the whole pope thing, but I guess it was a justified interruption in the show. Doesn't sound like we east coast folk missed much, anyway.

Tomorrow will be interesting. From the preview we've seen, the turntable depicts the last Barker version, but because Carey came along during the latter part of this decade, I wonder if all the cues, including "Walking," will reflect how they are now.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline johnnymatch

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 05:14:20 PM »
I haven't been here for years. Certain people with family members who used to work for Goodson-Todman made it unbearable. 

That said, a question:  What does Drew Carey and improvisational ability have in common?  Answer: Nothing.

He has been hosting TPIR for nearly a decade and he still can't ad lib his way in or out of a commercial.  He still can't articulate the basic rules of most games.  He still can't capture the drama of a winning moment.  As I write, a contestant just won both showcases-- I mean, just as I write these very words-- and Drew sounds like he just revealed the price of a Libman mop. 

Sad.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 05:16:59 PM by johnnymatch »
John, Rod, Rich... What is the next name on your list?

Offline Bobby McBride

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 05:18:11 PM »
Cu: I got a little worried when Raven chose the 6 for the last digit on her 2nd try when most of the audience wanted her to pick the 0 instead.

Eazy: According to Drew, he would've won too.

SBS: Perfect first half & two players won a $500 bonus!

LeU: So much for any Perfect Show hopes today.

PO: No way that safari was not $9K+.

IitB: Had Adam switched his last two groceries, he would've won the $16K.

Showcases: Everybody's been bidding at least decently this wk.; if Raven had won Adam's Showcase, I don't think they would've had enough space to bring the KIA Rio back on stage.

I'm not sure if we're going to have at least very good shows all wk. long, but we'll see.

Offline rn

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 05:27:55 PM »
The Show was pre-empted here in Canada too, because City TV uses the CBS feed.  City TV aired "Most Amazing" then switched over to "Let's Make a Deal"'s Mega Deal segment, then back over to Price's end credits.

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 06:16:09 PM »
I haven't been here for years. Certain people with family members who used to work for Goodson-Todman made it unbearable. 

That said, a question:  What does Drew Carey and improvisational ability have in common?  Answer: Nothing.

He has been hosting TPIR for nearly a decade and he still can't ad lib his way in or out of a commercial.  He still can't articulate the basic rules of most games.  He still can't capture the drama of a winning moment.  As I write, a contestant just won both showcases-- I mean, just as I write these very words-- and Drew sounds like he just revealed the price of a Libman mop. 

Sad.

Well, considering that your last post reads like so:
Let's hope at least one of these promotions lessens some of the petulance and condescension that sometimes ruins the spirit of this site and televisions most exciting hour.
It appears your entire purpose of existence on this site is to badmouth its users and Drew Carey. Learn a new trick, please.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline Prizes

• Director
  • Took a swing and my drive found twine!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, a WOF Community
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 06:29:08 PM »

Sad.

I'm not the biggest fan of Drew's hosting style to say the least, because of enthusiasm reasons, but come on. Your post was a one-step recipe: Add hominem and stir.

You could have been a lot more tactful in your post, while making your own point, preferably in its own thread, unless you want to talk about specific deficiencies beyond the Double Showcase Winner. The show, whether or not you like it as such, is successful, be it from ratings, getting the demographics it needs for long-term sustainability, and, oh yeah, those Daytime Emmys.

As you are someone with connections, you know better than to act than this. Likewise, you are an adult, and furthermore, one of the older members on the page. Set a good example. We agree on an underlying principle, but the approach to do so is vastly different. Critique the person's actions and hosting, not Drew himself. It's a very simple rule I hold myself (more subtly, the forum) to, as should you.

How many times does the approach you are taking work to solve anything? You work in television; if you were criticized like you are doing currently with Drew, would that give you any motivation to change? Personally, it'd make me think the person saying such things does not know how to criticize with tact. Please fix your approach. Your point is fine, and taken; the way you come about it is not.
Hard work increases the probability of serendipity. —Ken Poirot

Finally made it in life!

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2015, 06:41:36 PM »
Overall choice of cues today was poor, especially considering the wide array they were using in the 90's.

Honestly, today didn't wow me like the previous two days did.

Drew's audience entrance was probably the highlight for me, but I was hoping it would be followed by something more substantial than the cheap car they played for in Cover Up.

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, as this show was pretty darn good by normal standards, but I feel like they largely missed the mark in emulating the 1990's, especially with how well they did with the 70's and 80's.

I agree with a lot, at least, of what you wrote. An audience entrance from Bob usually meant something big and/or pricey was about to be offered. Starting off with Cover Up is "okay", but how about having the contestant play for a (much) more expensive auto? And by the way, the first item up for bids on our 1990s episode today: an iPhone??! 

I was hoping to hear some cues that made their debut during the run of Doug Davidson's PIR, especially the one I really liked that was played for living rooms/dining rooms/furniture (sorry I don't know the name of it - it featured a saxophone. Another version of it was used for small prizes long after the Davidson Price ended. Anyone?? :) )

I like the theme of the week but seeing time "pass so quickly" makes me a little sad. I remember watching both the Barker and James versions of Price in the 1970s. (To me, as a kid back then, it looked like there was a piece of candy on top of Dennis James's thick microphone. :-D )

« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 06:51:05 PM by GameShowKid »

Offline wrikent3500

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 07:20:38 PM »
Same here....watching CityTV Montreal feed on Shaw Direct....I thought it was a computer glitch,station hack or someone pressing wrong keys or buttons
The Show was pre-empted here in Canada too, because City TV uses the CBS feed.  City TV aired "Most Amazing" then switched over to "Let's Make a Deal"'s Mega Deal segment, then back over to Price's end credits.

Offline wrikent3500

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2015, 07:24:12 PM »
and here's another question,do they use the All American Television/Pearson Television logos,tomorrow ???