Author Topic: TPIR Recap - 09/25/15 (Decades Week Day 5: 2010s; Vend-O-Price Premiere)  (Read 11925 times)

Offline TPIRFan2000

• Taking a Bonus Spin

Episode Clips
Vend-O-Price

Retro Clips
Card Game

Much of the country saw a pre-emption of this episode due to the resignation of Speaker of the House John Boehner.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 08:21:02 AM by PayingTheRent »
I hadn't really thought about this before, but the reality of death means that every day there are less people in the world than the day before.  In reality there are many more people in the world than this but for illustration: If one day there are 1000 people in the world and the next day 55 people die, now there are 945 people in the world. if 30 more die the next day now there are 915 people in the world. So we'll eventually become extinct as will all creatures as the same reality applies to dogs, cats, horses etc.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

Re: TPIR Recap - 9/25/15 (Decades Week Day 5 - 2010s/Vend-O-Price Premiere)
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 06:43:03 PM »
I see we're getting at least one more season of that horrendous light border :roll:

I thought the one they used for the 80's show was brilliant. It's classic looking yet modern and could absolutely work permanently. If only...

3D printers are difficult to price for the average Joe, myself included. No surprise DTM was lost with that setup.

Card Game was a gimme with the $3,000 range, which made the loss even more painful. I love how Drew pointed out that even though the game debuted in the 70's, they're counting last year's redesign as part of this decade anyway. The old clip was a nice touch, as well. :D

The pope was nicely dressed, as usual. I felt the show did a good job transitioning to and from CBS News in New York. Scott Pelley was also professional. All in all, pretty good segment.

Vend-O-Price is freakin' awesome in every way! Best new turntable game in a long time!

Haven't seen the interrupted part yet, but what I did see seemed pretty decent. I only wish some of the themes from earlier in the week, such as the cues and whatnot, could carry over into the rest of the season and beyond, but outside of Vend-O-Price's use of the Penny Ante sound, I didn't see any evidence of it happening. Maybe part of what we missed contained something, but I'm not holding my breath.

Decades week (including at least part of today's show), you impressed me. I would have liked to have seen more authenticity with the 90's and 2000's shows, but overall, the show did a terrific job, and this loyal friend and true couldn't be any happier!

Here's to the 44th season of The Price is Right!
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline CheckGameMeBob

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Check Game: Woefully Misunderstood Since 1981
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 06:52:08 PM »
Well, that's decades week in the books.  Mike and the guys did a good job, and I love the new Vend-O-Price game.  The winning stagnated a bit later in the week, but I say that it was a success overall.  If I could nitpick something, it was a bit sad not to see either Triple Play, 3 Strikes, or Golden Road brought out for premiere week.  Oh well.  I sure will miss the old sound cues too... Please utilize them again, Mike and company!
President, Return Rich Fields Campaign

Chairman, Buy or Sell Fan Club

HYO record: Coming or Going: 1-0.  Mystery Price: 0-1.  Squeeze Play: 1-0.  Flip Flop: 1-0.  Safe Crackers: 1-0, Buy or Sell: 1-0, 3 Strikes: 1-0, Card Game: 0-1, One Away: 1-0, Bonus Game: 1-0, Bump: 1-0, Switch?: 1-0, Double Prices, 1-0, Passcode: 0-1, Easy az 1,2,3: 1-0, Fabulous Showcases: 5-1. 

Total winnings: 1,548,521

Offline TinoStar11

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 07:18:33 PM »
Vend-O-Price is a cool looking game.
I would to see how they would play this game for a Car , maybe just 1 Item in the bottom Row to incite people to pick it.
I also noticed , both CBS.com videos about the Vend-O-Price are the same:  the playing of the game only.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 07:52:46 PM »
If I'm right, Vend O Price is the first pricing game to premiere in the sixth slot since Trader Bob debuted in 1980. Might also be the first pricing game since Balance Game '84 to premiere in the second half.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline clay162

• Outside in Line
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 08:30:12 PM »
First off, full disclosure, I'm a very frequent lurker and very, very rare poster (obviously).  So, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here but, was the sound effect they used for Vend-O-Price the same sound effect used on Penny Ante back in the day?  That may have very well have been my imagination, but it sure sounded the same.  Sorry if this has already been covered here but, if it has, I didn't see it.  Thanks!

Offline TPIRFan2000

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 08:31:33 PM »
First off, full disclosure, I'm a very frequent lurker and very, very rare poster (obviously).  So, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here but, was the sound effect they used for Vend-O-Price the same sound effect used on Penny Ante back in the day?  That may have very well have been my imagination, but it sure sounded the same.  Sorry if this has already been covered here but, if it has, I didn't see it.  Thanks!
Indeed, it is the Penny Ante sound effect.
I hadn't really thought about this before, but the reality of death means that every day there are less people in the world than the day before.  In reality there are many more people in the world than this but for illustration: If one day there are 1000 people in the world and the next day 55 people die, now there are 945 people in the world. if 30 more die the next day now there are 915 people in the world. So we'll eventually become extinct as will all creatures as the same reality applies to dogs, cats, horses etc.

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 08:32:44 PM »
I have to admit that Vend-O-Price is already my favorite new game on the show. The concept is great and the rules are easy to understand...It's basically like Most Expensive. What also got me was that old-school Penny Ante sound FX that was used (Ah, memories...). It was nice to see that have a first win.

The rest of the show was nothing different than yesterday's 2000s one. I will say that DTM was a trap for me, since I sure overlooked that 3D printer with that laptop. At least both Vend-O-Price and TiM were won. And also, a selfie stick has got to be the worst thing ever.

THE BOTTOM LINE:

Another average 2/6-er, much like the 2000s tribute yesterday...But a pricing game debut and win was awesome, though. All-in-all, Decades Week was a well-deserved balance of nostalgia and fun, despite the fact that none of The Big 3 showed up. They should do this again next season!

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 08:40:05 PM »
I'll watch the complete show online later, but I wanted to comment on Vend-O-Price. The prop is fantastic and the rules of the game straightforward, but I wish I could hear Bob explain the game. Drew's explanation was quite unprofessional and lacked smoothness. Perhaps my primary issue: I'm pretty sure we would never hear Bob (or many others - including myself) say "thing" or "things" so many times, as in "least expensive thing", "middle-priced thing", "most expensive thing", "8 things of V-8", "6 things of candy", and "3 things of fries". How about choosing some commonly used words like "item", "bag", and "bottle"??!

That bothered me, but I do like the game. 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 08:48:53 PM by GameShowKid »

Offline clay162

• Outside in Line
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 08:49:08 PM »
That's what I love about this website.  I knew, as knowledgeable as everyone here is, that someone would have the answer for me within 5 minutes (or 5 seconds  :oldlol:).  I know I'm not adding much to the conversation, but it was cool to hear the Penny Ante sound effect again.

Online sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 11:01:39 PM »
Penny Ante.....Mike Richards GETS us!

Also, Hi!
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline UltraPrice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 11:02:02 PM »
I wish I could say Pay the Rent didn't get played despite it debuting 2010 because it got retired.  Oh well.

Decades Week in my book was a success.  I'm wondering if Mike will do this again in the future?

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2015, 12:33:10 AM »
Just saw Vend O Price for the first time and loved what I saw and heard. The dropping of the coin into the vending machine prop to reveal the items was pretty damn cool. The color scheme with the light blue, green, and orange works well on this set. To have the Penny Ante sound effects revived in a new pricing game is totally awesome baby! The game is a good test of pricing skill as it requires a good feel of value judgment and it's nice to see a math based game with multiplication work well. This is the first one choice one chance GP game we've ever had so this is new territory. I like having such a GP game in the rotation. To finish decades week with such a wonderful new game was quite satisfying especially since its first playing was won. Price has thrown an 80 yard touchdown pass with Vend O Price.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2015, 02:23:01 AM »
So the show started off seeming like all the retro stuff was gone.  There were no opening titles, there was no "Television's most exciting hour...," there were no classic colors on the Turntable (not that the new patterns wound up looking bad, mind you)...it seemed like everything was back to the present day.

And then they started playing Vend-O-Price, they did the price reveal, and HOLY FREAKING PENNY ANTE!  I damn near died when I heard that sound effect.  That alone would have made me like the game, but fortunately, I was already enjoying it before that little blast from the past came up.  The whole game is such an obvious idea that it kind of makes you wonder how it took somebody 43 years to think of it.

Card Game was just plain not played well.

It was good to see somebody finally win something again in Time I$ Møney.  Honestly, I think that was the easiest setup it's had in quite a while.

They must have done some work on Double Cross over the summer...the board is animating noticeably more smoothly than it used to.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
  • ^ Top Notch Production Values ^
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2015, 09:08:16 AM »
Rat has also had some board work - the board no longer has a blue tint.