Author Topic: Rerun observation  (Read 3389 times)

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
Rerun observation
« on: March 12, 2007, 04:50:55 PM »
I don't know if anyone else caught this this morning, but on today's rerun, the replaced consolation prize plug was significantly edited...it was much shorter than it was originally, with each plug only lasting about five seconds, and the music even started several measures into the song.

Any idea what's up with that?  I'd assume it's a time thing, but I really don't know.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline iluvpir

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Rerun observation
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 06:06:38 PM »
I've noticed the same thing on the last few re-runs that have aired.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 06:45:21 PM »
iluvpir wrote:

I've noticed the same thing on the last few re-runs that have aired.

No, you haven't -- it only started today.

Offline iluvpir

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 08:23:06 PM »
Are you sure Steve, because I swear that on the last rerun Rich said "Promotional consideration provided by..." in place of "Contestants not appearing on stage..."

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 10:22:35 PM »

iluvpir wrote:
Are you sure Steve, because I swear that on the last rerun Rich said "Promotional consideration provided by..." in place of "Contestants not appearing on stage..."

They always do that for reruns, but the new plugs they insert are usually the same length as the original plugs.  Steve's point is that the new plugs this time were shorter than the originals, which is odd since that would shorten the run-time of the show.

Offline OldPrice75

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 12:53:18 AM »
Yeah, I was going "what on earth?"  But to me, the camera work seemed to start at the right spot.  Did anyone see the camera start late?  

That was odd to say the least.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 11:51:31 AM »
Yeah, the video of Contestants' Row seems to be fine...it's just everything else that's weird.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 12:15:18 PM »
My guess: If the sponsors submit audio copy that's significantly shorter than most other copy (we've seen it in the grocery games recently), then if those same sponsors get the rerun spots, either Rich has to read the copy comically slowly ("Hooooooot Poooooockeeeeets have cheeeeeeeese baaaaaaaaked...") or they have to do some other type of editing.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline ASchuelke

• Outside in Line
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 01:43:42 PM »
I saw it last night on the ol' Tivo... My best guess is that, since those are newer sponsors (such as the dog food), they probably pay for mentions during a specific time frame.

Let's say, for example, that the original episode listed a bunch of products as consolation prizes, but their sponsorhip contract ran out two months ago...  they were then edited with the products that CURRENTLY are sponsoring the program.  

This is my best guess... we run into this all the time with re-aired programs (I'm in radio, however, but it's probably the same mentality.)

Offline OldPrice75

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007, 09:18:16 PM »
Same thing happened today.  I can't figure out what they did.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2007, 09:41:42 PM »
Cramer wrote:

I saw it last night on the ol' Tivo... My best guess is that, since those are newer sponsors (such as the dog food), they probably pay for mentions during a specific time frame.

Let's say, for example, that the original episode listed a bunch of products as consolation prizes, but their sponsorhip contract ran out two months ago...  they were then edited with the products that CURRENTLY are sponsoring the program.

The show has been doing that for years.  It's never caused the plugs to magically become 25 seconds shorter before.