Author Topic: Mailing ticket requests from Canada  (Read 2459 times)

Offline ggooden1

• In the Audience
Mailing ticket requests from Canada
« on: March 19, 2007, 05:44:51 PM »
I'm just wondering how people from Canada are able to request tickets by mail with a self-addressed stamped envelope when it's really not possible to purchase U.S. stamps in Canada. I know you can send international reply coupons but I'm not sure if CBS would accept those. I wanted to write in for June tickets rather than wait until they release them online, but I'm just not sure if that's possible since I live in Canada. I think I've heard before that if you're incapable of providing them with a return envelope, CBS will still honour your ticket request and pay the postage themselves. Can anyone confirm that for me?

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/2018
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
Re: Mailing ticket requests from Canada
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 06:43:14 PM »
You can get us postal stamps up here. Just go to your local post office and they might have them.

Offline ggooden1

• In the Audience
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 01:07:33 AM »

tpiradam wrote:
You can get us postal stamps up here. Just go to your local post office and they might have them.

Well that's what I thought to but I called my local post office today and they said they don't sell those. I also called Canada Post's main customer service number and they also said that their post offices don't carry those.

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/2018
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 07:25:07 AM »
Thats strange because I can get them because my family has friends in New York and we mail them Christmas cards and stuff.

Offline Franc

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Let Me Be Franc!
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 08:02:55 AM »

tpiradam wrote:
Thats strange because I can get them because my family has friends in New York and we mail them Christmas cards and stuff.

That's different. If you mail something in the US, you still use Canadian stamps, but instead of a $0.52 stamp, you buy a $.93 stamp. But it's still a Canadian stamp.

However, what I think Geoff means, is how to stamp the return envelope that will go from the US to Canada, as it'll probably require a US stamp. I don't think the US Post Office will accept a Canadian stamp. Then again, I might be wrong ...

Offline Heidi

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 09:35:23 AM »
Actually, the U.S. post office does accept Canadian stamps on SASE.  I've written to celebrities for their autographs and used $0.93 stamps on the SASE and they were mailed back to me no problem. We already pay the difference in currency when we buy them.

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 09:58:58 AM »
The USPS does not accept foreign stamps as valid postage.  I've been a stamp collector for 30 years, so I'm not surprised that yours got through un-noticed - because of postal automation, a lot of inappropriately franked mail goes through the system unchecked.  I've seen letters with less than the required 39 cents postage, and I've seen letters with NO postage... all delivered as if everything were fine and dandy.

And speaking of postage rates, as of May 14 it will cost 41 cents to mail a letter in the United States  (link).
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline Heidi

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 02:31:08 PM »
Well, I asked Canada Post personally about this situation a couple of weeks ago!  They were the ones that suggested to buy the Amercian lettermail stamps in the first place instead of the IRC(International Reply Coupon).  I'm always putting too much postage on the big 10x13 envelopes going to the states.  The last letter I sent had too much (it's better to have too much postage than too little).