Author Topic: TPIR Recap - 05/23/2016 (Primetime - "Survivor" Special)  (Read 13289 times)

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
Re: TPIR Recap - 05/23/2016 (Primetime - "Survivor" Special)
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2016, 04:30:57 PM »
Steve, I was at the Amazing Race taping and I can confirm that it is the value of what the showcase winner's showcase is donated to charity.

That makes the decision even more confusing. Why, at the end of the show, wouldn't Drew specify "And [name] has just won $30,000 for [name of charity]"? That's a respectable number and sounds less dodgy than just "money."
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2016, 10:26:31 PM »
Or just say they get the value of the showcase donated to their charity, like the Shell Game bonus is the value of the prize.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2016, 12:26:26 AM »
I wonder what they were planning to do if there was a double overbid.  Saying that neither charity would get any money because nobody won wouldn't exactly be great television, so I assume there had to be a backup plan, but I can't imagine what it was.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2016, 03:11:31 PM »
Perhaps the teams would have been told they both overbid and would continue to rebid until at least one of them was not over?
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2016, 03:57:13 PM »
The double overbid plan could simply have been: "since both contestants overbid, we'll give [x dollar amount] to your charities"
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline khakiroof

• Outside in Line
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2016, 03:23:00 AM »
This would have been a great show to do ME for three trips (all former Survivor locations, of course) just like on the first '86 special.

Totally agree with this assertion.  The way they present trips with monitors instead of the ancient drop panels gives them the flexibility to do something like that.  I mean, who wouldn't want to visit the Pearl Islands, Brazil, Nicaragua or Samoa?  And Fiji could have been the other trip offered, with Probst there to smile and wave as George reads the promo for the next season of Survivor.

And for crying out loud, couldn't Probst have gotten some shorter torches during the SCSD? And will he add that snuffer to his collection, or did he bring it from there? :-?