Author Topic: 2017 MLB Season  (Read 32269 times)

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: 2017 MLB Season
« Reply #105 on: October 19, 2017, 11:08:17 AM »
Interesting to mention that, as MLB reportedly is considering major realignment if they expand to 32 teams in the near future(it appears Montreal and Portland are the frontrunners for new teams if this do go ahead).  For example, the proposal I've heard might have the Orioles, Reds, Phillies, Pirates, Braves, Rays, Marlins, and Nationals in a new East Division, Yankees, Red Sox, Tigers, Indians, Twins, Blue Jays, Mets, and the hypothetical Montreal team in a North Division, both Chicago teams, Cardinals, Royals, Brewers, Rockies, Astros, and Rangers in a Midwest Division, and both Los Angeles teams, Giants, Padres, Mariners, A's, Diamondbacks, and the hypothetical Portland team in a West Division.  The supposed advantage of such an alignment should it be approved would be to cut down on travel time and keep each division more or less in one time zone.

Offline GR_Man_9009

• Walking the Golden Road
  • BBT Rules!
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #106 on: October 19, 2017, 12:14:19 PM »
Interesting to mention that, as MLB reportedly is considering major realignment if they expand to 32 teams in the near future(it appears Montreal and Portland are the frontrunners for new teams if this do go ahead).  For example, the proposal I've heard might have the Orioles, Reds, Phillies, Pirates, Braves, Rays, Marlins, and Nationals in a new East Division, Yankees, Red Sox, Tigers, Indians, Twins, Blue Jays, Mets, and the hypothetical Montreal team in a North Division, both Chicago teams, Cardinals, Royals, Brewers, Rockies, Astros, and Rangers in a Midwest Division, and both Los Angeles teams, Giants, Padres, Mariners, A's, Diamondbacks, and the hypothetical Portland team in a West Division.  The supposed advantage of such an alignment should it be approved would be to cut down on travel time and keep each division more or less in one time zone.
I assume you mean Portland Oregon and NOT Portland Maine. Next time, if there's at least two cities with the same name, you should also specify what state you are talking about just so there's no confusion. I didn't know what Portland you were talking about until I got to the part about the new divisions.
The Big Bang Theory Rules!

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #107 on: October 19, 2017, 01:15:50 PM »
So then, it would be Eastern League and Western League? In any case, I'd love to see it happen, although I'd pretty much rather see Charlotte and Las Vegas get the new teams.

Offline TheBigAK

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #108 on: October 19, 2017, 01:21:52 PM »
I assume you mean Portland Oregon and NOT Portland Maine. Next time, if there's at least two cities with the same name, you should also specify what state you are talking about just so there's no confusion. I didn't know what Portland you were talking about until I got to the part about the new divisions.

I know Portland Maine is maybe a bit better known, but what about
Portland NY , PA , TN ,  OH,  IN,  MI , ND , MO , AR , TX, CT
Pretty sure most people assume Portland OR.   

FYI, there are at least 5 States with a Detroit too
I'm TheBigAK...and I APPROVE this post.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #109 on: October 19, 2017, 05:53:17 PM »
FYI, there are at least 5 States with a Detroit too

What about Springfield? There are 25 states with that town for a name.  :P

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #110 on: October 19, 2017, 09:05:37 PM »
What would the advantage be in expanding at this point? Besides getting middling talent in the expansion draft, the question is whether or not markets like Portland and Montreal can support a pro team. Montreal already proved they couldn’t; Portland possibly could pull it off, being #25 as a TV market.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
« Reply #111 on: October 19, 2017, 09:39:22 PM »
Why can't things be kept the same way? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline UltraPrice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #112 on: October 19, 2017, 11:16:10 PM »
For the first time in 29 years, the LA Dodgers are going to the World Series.  If they play the Yankees, I will definitely be rooting for them.

Offline wildbill0962

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Golden Road's Unofficial Official Bracketologist
« Reply #113 on: October 20, 2017, 12:15:00 AM »
What would the advantage be in expanding at this point? Besides getting middling talent in the expansion draft, the question is whether or not markets like Portland and Montreal can support a pro team. Montreal already proved they couldn’t; Portland possibly could pull it off, being #25 as a TV market.

Montreal has plans to build a new stadium. The city really wants to get a team back.

Ironically, before the Montreal Expos moved to Washington, there was some potential of them moving to Portland. The city still has a grant available to use for a new stadium that would've housed the Expos, had they moved there.

I mean, there's only one logical answer here when it comes to a city housing a Major League team. You'll never see a professional sports franchise in the state of Maine.
Pete Carroll has the biggest balls in the world.

10th place in 2010-2011 CSS
16th place in 2011-2012 CSS
17th place in 2012-2013 CSS

B/R Profile: http://bleacherreport.com/users/1048731-bill-riccette
Follow me on Twitter for my take on the Eagles, NCAA Tournament Bracketology and various sports topics @Bill_Riccette https://twitter.com/Bill_Riccette
http://billriccettenfl.wordpress.com/

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #114 on: October 20, 2017, 01:36:58 AM »
You'll never see a professional sports franchise in the state of Maine.
The Portland Sea Dogs would like a word with you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland_Sea_Dogs

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #115 on: October 20, 2017, 09:47:06 AM »
It'll be interesting to see who those in Boston would root for in a Yankees-Dodgers World Series. They hate the Yankees and the Lakers (who play in the Dodgers' town), so I think they'll say neither (unless the Astros mount a successful comeback, in which case they'd pull for Houston then). However, the San Francisco Bay Area will definitely pull for the AL team, as they hate the Dodgers with a passion.

Offline UltraPrice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #116 on: October 20, 2017, 11:50:43 PM »
Justin Verlander (probably the ALCS MVP if Houston wins the series) saves the Astros season.  Game 7 tomorrow. 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 12:00:27 AM by UltraPrice »

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
« Reply #117 on: October 21, 2017, 11:18:46 PM »
So much for a Dodgers-Yankees series.

I'll take LA in 4.
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #118 on: October 21, 2017, 11:39:34 PM »
The Astros make history as the first team to ever represent both leagues in a World Series. The first time they appeared in the Fall Classic (12 years ago, as a member of the NL), they were swept by the White Sox in four. Now we just need the Brewers to accomplish the same feat, and there's always next year for them.

That being said, my revised prediction is Dodgers over Astros.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #119 on: October 22, 2017, 12:49:59 AM »
Dodgers over Astros. I'd expect a curb-stomping.