Author Topic: First spinners opting for a second spin on $0.60 and up  (Read 3368 times)

Offline dmaingame

• Walking the Golden Road
First spinners opting for a second spin on $0.60 and up
« on: May 29, 2017, 03:34:34 PM »
Seems like more contestants who are spinning first in the showcase showdown are taking a second spin with amounts higher than $0.60 than in past seasons.  Wonder why this is the case.  Seems like a losing proposition even with two spinners behind you to spin again on say $0.65 or $0.70 when the odds of busting are roughly 2:1 and there are only 6-7 numbers on the wheel (out of 20) that can help you. 

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: First spinners opting for a second spin on $0.60 and up
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 04:01:12 PM »
Personally if I was the first spinner I would spin again if I got 65 cents or less. The odds are against you to not go over, but there are two spinners ahead and both of them could easily go over 60 or 65 cents. It is playing it safe to stop on 60 cents so you won't go over if you spin again, but me personally I would want to go for the dollar or at least a second spin that will get me a tough score to beat.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 10:17:23 PM »
Seems like a losing proposition even with two spinners behind you to spin again on say $0.65

It isn't.  The odds of winning as the first contestant by spinning on 65 are certainly bad, but the odds of winning by staying on 65 are even worse.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Champ2399

• Outside in Line
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 10:54:26 PM »
Spinning the wheel is close to a once-in-a-lifetime experience, so I'd always lean toward spinning again, even at 70 cents.  With 75, I'd stay. 

I've noticed Drew lately is pointing out where the needed amounts are on the wheel (like with a 70, he'll say "the 30 is over here") ... nothing wrong with that, assuming you could finesse it around.  But I think you have to just give a big spin and hope for the best.

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 11:54:53 PM »
Spinning the wheel is close to a once-in-a-lifetime experience, so I'd always lean toward spinning again, even at 70 cents.  With 75, I'd stay. 

I've noticed Drew lately is pointing out where the needed amounts are on the wheel (like with a 70, he'll say "the 30 is over here") ... nothing wrong with that, assuming you could finesse it around.  But I think you have to just give a big spin and hope for the best.

The odds of you winning staying with the 70 is about 21%, or about a fifth. Odds with you winning spinning again is about 16.7%, or about a sixth. Although you are going against the odds, I am not that angry, because even spinning a 5 would increase your chances by 5%, and it gets exponentially better. So if you want to do it, by all means.

(Just want to make sure you know the odds. I know for a rule of thumb that you are P1 you spin on 65 and under inclusive. P2 should spin if 50 and under inclusive, and stay iff P2 is a better position than P1 and the value is at least 55.)

Sources: An Excel spreadsheet I made in about 15 minutes and some random article I can't remember the name of.

Self Edit: Could someone actually do a tally of the number of times a number was spun on?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 11:58:02 PM by TPIRfan#9821 »
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline dmaingame

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 12:04:06 AM »
Interesting observation.  I never knew the odds of winning with a score of 65 to 70 were so low as a first spinner.  Maybe contestants nowadays are more aware of these odds or more risk takers than those who spun the wheel 25-30 years ago...However, I do remember one first spinner named Kevin opting for a second spin after getting 75 cents, but if I recall right he didn't realize he couldn't go over a dollar until Bob reminded him and the wheel was already in motion...This was back around 1997ish...

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 12:25:22 AM »
However, I do remember one first spinner named Kevin opting for a second spin after getting 75 cents, but if I recall right he didn't realize he couldn't go over a dollar until Bob reminded him and the wheel was already in motion...This was back around 1997ish...

As a matter of fact, it was the Season 25 finale.  I remember it being an awkward moment...Bob pretty much had to make up a rule on the fly for "How to Handle a Contestant Who's Arguing with Me," and he eventually decided (correctly, in my opinion) that since he'd just explained the rules a moment before, it was Kevin's responsibility to be sure he understood them before he did anything.

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 08:43:58 AM »
I can't remember if it was the first or second spinner, but I recall someone spinning again on 75. Bob was really questioning the decision, but he got 25.

I remember he was from Las Vegas, as Bob made a comment about bringing his luck from there.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 09:51:15 AM »
It isn't.  The odds of winning as the first contestant by spinning on 65 are certainly bad, but the odds of winning by staying on 65 are even worse.
Not if the last two spinners go over a dollar.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2017, 09:36:35 PM »
Not if the last two spinners go over a dollar.

Yes, even if the last two spinners go over a dollar.

Something unlikely actually occurring doesn't make the occurrence any more or less likely or the act of counting on it to happen any more or less stupid.

Offline Champ2399

• Outside in Line
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 01:47:21 AM »
As to spinning on 70, true that there are only 6 numbers that can help you ... but three are clustered together within 5 spots on the wheel, 25-90-5-100-15 ... if you felt you had the speed of the wheel, you could try to spin light and get it just a little more than once around.  Like what contestants do with the bonus spin sometimes.

Which would raise your chances of improving the score.  That's a big IF ... on stage with adrenaline, I don't know.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 02:21:35 AM »
... if you felt you had the speed of the wheel, you could try to spin light and get it just a little more than once around.  Like what contestants do with the bonus spin sometimes.
Question for Scott, if he's around... I know on Wheel of Fortune, the staff tells contestants to always spin the Wheel as hard as they can, and both Chuck and Pat have, over the years, made contestants spin again if they felt they were trying to "under-spin" or aim the Wheel. Does TPIR do that when briefing contestants on the rules for the Showcase Showdown?

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2017, 01:10:02 PM »
I don't know what other people have said, but when I briefed the contestants for the Showcase Showdown, my line was, "The wheel has to go around at least once. If it doesn't go all the way around, it doesn't count and we will boo you."

I would also tell the contestants that the wheel is heavier than it looks, but I wouldn't explicitly tell them how hard to spin it.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2017, 03:45:48 PM »
I think more often than not the only time contestants try to "aim" the wheel to land on a certain number is during the bonus spin when they try to get it just around enough to get to the dollar. Bob/Drew will just comment that the contestant is trying to finesse it and the contestant is basically doing it at their own risk of the wheel not getting all the way around.

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2017, 01:06:44 AM »
Bob pretty much had to make up a rule on the fly for "How to Handle a Contestant Who's Arguing with Me," and he eventually decided (correctly, in my opinion) that since he'd just explained the rules a moment before, it was Kevin's responsibility to be sure he understood them before he did anything.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't comprehend it for you" - Ed Koch  :-D
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.