Author Topic: First episode with the phrase "Here is the first item up for bids today?"  (Read 1825 times)

Offline Plinkomatic

• In Contestant's Row
  • AKA The One Who No One Gets
Through the years, Bob's introduction of the first item up for bids has almost always been "The first item up for bids on The Price is Right." In his final years, he began referring to it as "The first item up for bids today." Would anyone happen to know the episode where the spiel was changed to that? I just watched the intro to the Season 27 premiere episode. Would that happen to be the one, or was it a different one?
You're going to play PLINKOOOOOOOOOOOOO! For a chance to win up to fifty THOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUSAND dollars!

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
You'd almost have to go through every episode to try to nail this down.

But he varied the intros a good bit over time.

On the 30th season premiere, he just said, "Here's the first item up for bids."
Sometimes he said, "Let's see the first item up for bids on 'The Price is Right.'"
Sometimes, it was, "There's the first item up for bids today."
Sometimes, it was, "Right over here is the first item up for bids today." (That was the 26th season premiere.)
About a month later, it was, "We want to see the first item up for bids, if you please."
In a 2003 episode, he said, "Look what we have for you to bid on first today."
On his last episode, he said, "Here is the first item up for bids on our show."

It just varied from time to time.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 07:10:24 AM by CBSpromoman »
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline Plinkomatic

• In Contestant's Row
  • AKA The One Who No One Gets
You'd almost have to go through every episode to try to nail this down.

But he varied the intros a good bit over time.

On the 30th season premiere, he just said, "Here's the first item up for bids."
Sometimes he said, "Let's see the first item up for bids on 'The Price is Right.'"
Sometimes, it was, "There's the first item up for bids today."
Sometimes, it was, "Right over here is the first item up for bids today." (That was the 26th season premiere.)
About a month later, it was, "We want to see the first item up for bids, if you please."
In a 2003 episode, he said, "Look what we have for you to bid on first today."
On his last episode, he said, "Here is the first item up for bids on our show."

It just varied from time to time.

And for the 30th anniversary special, he said "Here is the first item up for bids on our show tonight"
You're going to play PLINKOOOOOOOOOOOOO! For a chance to win up to fifty THOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUSAND dollars!

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
Nowadays, Drew calls it "the first prize up for bids today", as you get to keep the prize regardless of what happens in your pricing game. He often tells the losers that they won their One-Bid prize, and I don't think Bob ever called it that.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

Nowadays, Drew calls it "the first prize up for bids today", as you get to keep the prize regardless of what happens in your pricing game. He often tells the losers that they won their One-Bid prize, and I don't think Bob ever called it that.

Sure, the One Bids offer 'prizes', but objectively, they are items used to get contestants up on stage to play for bigger and better things.  I have no problem with Drew calling them "prizes," but Bob referring to them as "items" placed more emphasis on the pricing games, which are the meat and potatoes of the show.  Not only that, but 6 out of 9 contestants are guaranteed to win an item up for bids.  The pricing games have no guarantees, making their prizes far more coveted. 
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker