Author Topic: Which set do you remember best?  (Read 3033 times)

Offline Plinkomatic

• In Contestant's Row
  • AKA The One Who No One Gets
Which set do you remember best?
« on: June 02, 2017, 11:45:06 PM »
Everyone remembers the classic set design through Bob's 35 years, and the many color changes and updates to it. What was the set design that you grew up with? Personally, I think it was the 2003-2006 design, with the Home Base/Turntable's color scheme being pink, purple and blue, and the 2002-2006 doors with the show's logo over a blue sunburst backdrop with a bunch of stars and asterisks around it.

I couldn't find any real photos of the set, so I took a screenshot of a 3D model
You're going to play PLINKOOOOOOOOOOOOO! For a chance to win up to fifty THOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUSAND dollars!

Offline Mr. Weatherman

Re: Which set do you remember best?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 12:45:07 AM »
I was 9 years old when the Season 31 set changes took place, and man did that seem weird to me at the time.  Very few things had changed with the set up to that point in my lifetime, so to have such a big change like that -- albeit minor by today's standards -- it took some getting used to.

Strangely, I actually liked the orange contestants row spot changing to yellow.  Until I saw photos of it online, I always thought it looked red, and I could never figure out why there were two red spots and only one green and blue.  Now I wish they would change it back to orange. :P

In response to the question at hand, I have vivid memory of both Barker 'sets' (same set, just different paint) from my childhood and early teenage years. The previous set designs existed before my time, so obviously I have no recollection of those.  I guess the 1990s-2002 Barker set sticks out the most when I think back on my early years of watching Price, and to me, that remains my favorite era of the show.  Lots of fond memories from those days.

/The alternation between the orange and yellow contestants row spots is how I found out summer repeats were a thing.  I had always assumed new episodes aired year-round.  Heck, I even thought they were live!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 12:52:06 AM by PayingTheRent »
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline Plinkomatic

• In Contestant's Row
  • AKA The One Who No One Gets
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 01:07:03 AM »
I was 9 years old when the Season 31 set changes took place, and man did that seem weird to me at the time.  Very few things had changed with the set up to that point in my lifetime, so to have such a big change like that -- albeit minor by today's standards -- it took some getting used to.

Strangely, I actually liked the orange contestants row spot changing to yellow.  Until I saw photos of it online, I always thought it looked red, and I could never figure out why there were two red spots and only one green and blue.  Now I wish they would change it back to orange. :P

In response to the question at hand, I have vivid memory of both Barker 'sets' (same set, just different paint) from my childhood and early teenage years. The previous set designs existed before my time, so obviously I have no recollection of those.  I guess the 1990s-2002 Barker set sticks out the most when I think back on my early years of watching Price, and to me, that remains my favorite era of the show.  Lots of fond memories from those days.

/The alternation between the orange and yellow contestants row spots is how I found out summer repeats were a thing.  I had always assumed new episodes aired year-round.  Heck, I even thought they were live!

The doors for that set were the party ones, right?
You're going to play PLINKOOOOOOOOOOOOO! For a chance to win up to fifty THOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUSAND dollars!

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 01:19:30 AM »
The S25-S30 set, particularly the confetti on the big doors and the purple/red/orange turntable motif with the red carpet and gold trim. I never liked any turntable set in the Barker era after that. The Hollywood mural was ugly and the pink/purple/blue walls after that clashed. I did like the darker green update to the big doors in 2002, though.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 01:22:16 AM »
The doors for that set were the party ones, right?

Yes.

Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline dmaingame

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 08:48:18 AM »
For me, it was set with the no frills doors and the purple red orange turntable wall with the green trim and carpet.  Having been born in 1983, this was the set I first knew and identified with as The Price Is Right set.  I even used to recreate it on paper with pencil and Crayola Crayons in daycare and elementary school.  I even remember vividly when the red carpet debuted during the last few half days of third grade in June 1992 when the episodes that aired that week were out of taping sequence and the carpet alternated between the then new red and the standard green, before reverting back to green for the rest of the summer as reruns were aired. 

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 11:42:40 AM »
For me it would be the season 25-29 set since that was the set from when I really started being into the show (I did watch prior to this when I wasn't in school but I only have vague memories from pre-season 25 because I was a young child then).

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 01:13:27 PM »

I remember them all...my favorite was the 1983 set with the padded turntable panels of purple, burgundy and orange, with the turntable borders AND carpet in green. That was always my favorite set.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Online tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2017, 02:18:25 PM »
Purple/red/orange turntable colors with gold trim and red carpet, classic doors.

The dark green door surrounds are the best.  Wish they would have made it to the show sooner than season 31.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2017, 11:30:40 PM »
It's a tie between the 1983 and 1992 sets. While both had the famous purple/red/orange Turntable walls, the 1992 version really made the whole thing pop with its red carpet and gold trim. But the green carpet and trim are the ultimate classics for me. As for the newer stuff, I never got into the short-lived Hollywood Turntable, and the pink/purple/blue version was an eyesore to say the least, though the starburst doors were the saving grace of those sets.

Offline BonusShell

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2017, 12:05:13 AM »
The set design that I remember the best was the 1992-2002 design (with the red turntable carpeting). That was the design during my high school and college years, when I was a frequent TPIR viewer.

I remember them all...my favorite was the 1983 set with the padded turntable panels of purple, burgundy and orange, with the turntable borders AND carpet in green. That was always my favorite set.

CBSpromoman, that was my favorite set as well. IMO, that design was practically timeless.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 12:09:25 AM by BonusShell »

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 08:26:16 AM »
The 1983 set (or was it the very end of 1982?) sticks out in my mind, as it was the first one I remember. 1992 is a close second.

Offline dmaingame

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2017, 12:22:35 PM »
The first shows taped with the purple/red/orange turntable walls were in late October/early November 1982.  The turntable portion changed to the purple/red/orange before the rest of the panels in late October, which looked really awkward.  Also, many of the episodes that aired between Halloween and Christmas 1982 aired out of sequence which resulted in the turntable color scheme flip-flopping between the 1975-1982 pattern, the in-between phase, and the entire wall having the purple/red/orange before changing permanently to the purple/red/orange by airdates in the first week of 1983...(which were actually taped just before Thanksgiving 1982)