Author Topic: The $100,000 Pyramid with Michael Strahan - Season Two  (Read 11187 times)

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
The $100,000 Pyramid with Michael Strahan - Season Two
« on: June 12, 2017, 12:34:03 AM »
Well, Season Two began tonight and we already have our first $100,000 winner of the season. Congrats to Melissa. I was surprised that she said "ball" in her first Winner's Circle round (the subject was "Things in a Baseball Game") because she was such a good player.

Both my sister and I commented on how easy the subjects were during her second WC round for $100,000. I also thought saying "concert ones" and "parking ones" instead of just "concert" and "parking" for "Types of Tickets" was clever.   

I would have buzzed the contestant for saying "the red parts" for "Parts of a Fire Truck (Engine)" if I were the judge. And "Alcoholics Anonymous" for "Things That Give Support" was a great clue. I was thinking of how to say "support hose" without actually saying the word "support".

The show now begins with clips of past contestants winning the big money, just as it did in previous iterations of Pyramid. But, I'm not sure about how I feel about the countdown timer now appearing above the big pyramid for the clue giver and studio audience to clearly see, I'm assuming, after 40+ years of this not being done.

Anyway, I'm glad to see the show back. I was a big fan of Dick Clark's versions (great to hear him mentioned again), and it's just a great game.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: The $100,000 Pyramid with Michael Strahan - Season Two
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 01:06:14 AM »
I would have buzzed the contestant for saying "the red parts" for "Parts of a Fire Truck (Engine)" if I were the judge.

It's a legal clue. That stemmed from the 80s versions where "Coin part" was used for "Parts of a Slot Machine"; a $100,000-win.

All in all, looking forward to more of this incredible revival as well.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 01:19:20 AM »
It's a legal clue. That stemmed from the 80s versions where "Coin part" was used for "Parts of a Slot Machine"; a $100,000-win.

Same here, and thanks for the information.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 10:58:40 PM »
I was surprised they allowed her to say "concert ones" and "parking ones." I was thinking adding the word ones would make it so she was describing tickets.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 11:31:05 PM »
I was surprised they allowed her to say "concert ones" and "parking ones." I was thinking adding the word ones would make it so she was describing tickets.
Yeah, I thought it was borderline and perhaps a bit outside of the spirit of the game if not the actual rules. I guess a door has been opened now for that sort of clue for a subject of that type in the future. 

Offline crazypackersfan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • There... are... four... lights!
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 10:06:35 PM »
Looks like The $100,000 Pyramid is entering... The Steve Harvey Zone.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 12:15:30 AM »

It's not quite the same. The coin slot is a part of a slot machine, and "coin part" is probably the best way to say it without using the word "slot." Calling "red paint" part of a fire truck is a lot iffier.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 12:16:21 AM »
Looks like The $100,000 Pyramid is entering... The Steve Harvey Zone.
After watching most of tonight's episode I think I know what you mean. The rating of the show was TV 14-L.

I haven't seen the final Winner's Circle round of the night yet (my DVR stopped recording for some reason), but I'll mention a few things now. 1) Sinclair was a great Pyramid player. 2) Bobby Moynihan (my favorite SNL cast member for years now) misread "Commandments" as "Condiments" (funny). 3) He also made a joke about reading the Bible "this morning", but couldn't get the name of the first book.

I thought "Your sleepy young child" and "your nighttime sheets" were pretty good clues for "Things You Tuck In", but I would have also added "your shirt tail". How about "a comb" to go along with "my mouth"? ("Things With Teeth")

"Escape room" was a weird clue to me for "Things You Want To Get Out Of" but it worked. I would have said "Edison's light bulb" and "Whitney's cotton gin" for "Famous Inventions", though those might not have.

Would you take just "Sizes" for "Clothing Sizes"? The judge did.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 12:21:19 AM by GameShowKid »

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 12:20:11 AM »
On the June 25th episode: First and foremost, congratulations to Jacob, the first contestant to win $150,000 in this incarnation of Pyramid.

I thought the subjects in his first Winner's Circle round (for $50K) were really easy; he had 35 seconds or so left for the last one. There was more suspense for me during his second trip there; I wondered when he would get to the breast clue for "Things That Are Perky". And yep, as soon as he went there, big win. :)

Brooke was apparently getting desperate when she said "I don't want to cry" for "Things That Make You Laugh". I'm pretty sure that clue would have been deemed illegal were it not for time running out. I as well thought of "being tickled".
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 12:26:17 AM by GameShowKid »

Offline GSNSmashFan3

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My game show collection.
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 02:37:28 AM »
^ Overall, the judging has definitely been more lenient on this version: To use another example from last night's episode, "prehistoric animals" would have been buzzed immediately for the "Dinosaurs" subject in the Clark days!

I've enjoyed this revival so far, but is anybody else annoyed by the constant "reaction shots" during the gameplay? It's just so blatantly out-of-place in a game like Pyramid, and it causes the show to feel overproduced at times. This was a problem last year, too...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 02:47:03 AM by GSNSmashFan3 »
HYO Winnings:
$46,241.21 (Participated in 6 games; on stage 4 times)

I love Clock Game!

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 09:10:56 AM »
^ Overall, the judging has definitely been more lenient on this version: To use another example from last night's episode, "prehistoric animals" would have been buzzed immediately for the "Dinosaurs" subject in the Clark days!
I think she might have been hesitant about saying something like "tyrannosaurus" or "stegosaurus" for "Dinosaurs". I can understand that. I would have said "triceratops" or just "T-rex". But I tend to agree with you overall on the Winner's Circle judging. I think the producers want big money wins, and, thinking back, the Winner's Circle rounds in the Clark days seem more challenging overall. I mean, for example, "Movie Directors" for the second most valuable box?

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2017, 01:12:18 AM »
On the July 9th episode: I suppose I should say "congratulations", or "well done", to Apolo Ohno first. He was the common factor in both of the Winner's Circle victories tonight. He got "Things That Have Ink" from two clues: "a pen" and "a ray". (Fortunately he had time to think and to make reasonable guesses.) I would have said "a pen" and "an octopus".

He also got "Things You Pinch" (he just said "pinch") after some pretty good clues I thought. (And we got to see a hand behind the trilon with the first subject in that round.)

Too much time was spent on "What a Cheerleader Might Say"; perhaps the contestant should have started with something like "I'm the girl who roots for the home team at a football game". And, along with "birthday" and "surprise", I would have said "Republican" and "Democratic" for "Types Of Parties".   

Offline WhammyPower788

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • I'm on a horse.
    • Game Show Videos
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2017, 10:56:04 AM »
I would have said "Republican" and "Democratic" for "Types Of Parties".
Then stick in "Grand Old."
Visit GameShowVideos.com for lots of game show clips!

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2017, 11:14:48 AM »
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 11:19:35 AM by GameShowKid »

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2017, 11:31:50 PM »
Some great players (Emily, Retta, and Tiara) and some great clues tonight (7/16). Examples: "knock knock" for "Types of Jokes", "fall air" and "an apple pie crust" for "Things That Are Crisp". And more kudos to Emily for not falling into the potential traps of saying "day" for "Holidays" and "nut" for "What Peanut Butter Might Say".

Any excellent clues out there for "Crops (Farming)"? I thought of, and said, "wheat", "barley", and "oats". I guess I would have to hope that my celebrity partner would just say that particular word. (Now upon previewing this post I'm thinking: Maybe "his wheat" or "his barley".)

I was really surprised that it took so long for the pastor to get "shopping" and "fetch".

And finally, I thought "alcoholic punch" (or "college party punch" - my clue) was the perfect clue for "Things That Are Spiked". I had to shake my head at that $100,000 loss.